Back in the water today for Janie

I received a message earlier today that the boat yard had launched Janie, she’s been out of the water since January.

1FB11F61-4E2B-4D66-B94C-4F6A7DA14A8C.thumb.png.7762e0a3e84827677fd50bb50a6bcbb1.png

93D7A319-8E86-47E3-8F03-4FBB41DC23ED.thumb.jpeg.8f6c3d38dce7068b6d2b722ed8ae0262.jpeg

I wasn’t 100% with one of the fenders so I took her out for a quick leg stretch to straighten the fenders out.

7DF5A72E-5B67-43F6-B3F3-9EE71BBEA86E.jpeg.814ea9c44b84ae809f618a2c6d68661e.jpegIt’s always nice when they go in clean and you get the speed back. 
I think removing the stickers has definitely made a performance difference. 

5 minutes ago, JonC said:

I received a message earlier today that the boat yard had launched Janie, she’s been out of the water since January.

1FB11F61-4E2B-4D66-B94C-4F6A7DA14A8C.thumb.png.7762e0a3e84827677fd50bb50a6bcbb1.png

93D7A319-8E86-47E3-8F03-4FBB41DC23ED.thumb.jpeg.8f6c3d38dce7068b6d2b722ed8ae0262.jpeg

I wasn’t 100% with one of the fenders so I took her out for a quick leg stretch to straighten the fenders out.

7DF5A72E-5B67-43F6-B3F3-9EE71BBEA86E.jpeg.814ea9c44b84ae809f618a2c6d68661e.jpegIt’s always nice when they go in clean and you get the speed back. 

Just think of all the air drag you have reduced with all the polishing to/two/too! She looks good though Jon. Have you decided to keep the name?

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

Just think of all the air drag you have reduced with all the polishing to/two/too! She looks good though Jon. Have you decided to keep the name?

I think I will stick with it, although it has no relevance to me, it was someone else’s dirty bird it’s registered everywhere as Janie and there isn’t a name that is particularly appealing for me to change it to. 

On 4/19/2021 at 8:12 PM, JonC said:

That is not a bad speed for a boat with a tractor engine  🤣🤣 🤣 ........ was that flat out with a following wind  ? 🤣

With a good mooring like that do you fish much on your own or does your lad always head out with you ? Ive completely lost my kids now to trips out in the boat and the fact my daughter can bring fish home any day of the week from her boats makes me wonder if its worth owning one anymore.

4 hours ago, GPSguru said:

That is not a bad speed for a boat with a tractor engine  🤣🤣 🤣 ........ was that flat out with a following wind  ? 🤣

That was on the cradle on the way back in the water. 

The speed has no relevance on here as there aren’t any others like it on here but I was happy with it because most people’s boats the same top out around 22kts, there’s always someone on the owners group that’s fitting a tuning box or re pitching their prop to try to get the extra click out of it. 

4 hours ago, JDP said:

With a good mooring like that do you fish much on your own or does your lad always head out with you ? Ive completely lost my kids now to trips out in the boat and the fact my daughter can bring fish home any day of the week from her boats makes me wonder if its worth owning one anymore.

My boy does come out sometimes but through the summer he plays cricket all weekend. It’s more interesting than fishing with me! 
It’s easy on my own in the marina, but although it’s convenient you are always parking near another nice shiny boat and as you know shafts don’t steer well backwards! 

2 hours ago, JonC said:

My boy does come out sometimes but through the summer he plays cricket all weekend. It’s more interesting than fishing with me! 
It’s easy on my own in the marina, but although it’s convenient you are always parking near another nice shiny boat and as you know shafts don’t steer well backwards! 

Do you not have a bow thruster then Jon? If you do then you should not be using the wheel to reverse. Just leave the wheel full ahead, take your hands off it and just use the throttle and thruster. 

10 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Do you not have a bow thruster then Jon? If you do then you should not be using the wheel to reverse. Just leave the wheel full ahead, take your hands off it and just use the throttle and thruster. 

No bow thruster for me, I’ve heard they leak! 
Not many 21’ boats have them fitted and those that do are retro fit 

Its a case of using the wheel and forward/reverse to get the boat to spin around, it can be done almost stationary. 
Just remember -steer before gear. 

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Only if fitted by mongs. 
you should invest in one. Will transform your boat. 

I can manoeuvre the boat ok. The only thing that is a problem is when the wind is blowing me down the aisle, there is a lot more boat above the water than below 

5 minutes ago, JonC said:

I can manoeuvre the boat ok. The only thing that is a problem is when the wind is blowing me down the aisle, there is a lot more boat above the water than below 

Well, they do make single handed mooring a hell of a lot easier. But as your the man, you won’t need one! 

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well, they do make single handed mooring a hell of a lot easier. But as your the man, you won’t need one! 

I certainly wouldn’t be against having one but the cost is prohibitive. 
There is an Arvor 215 on the opposite pontoon that has one fitted, ironically it seems to have more incidents than any other boat, the bottle nose looks like it’s been artexed with filler. 

4 minutes ago, JonC said:

I certainly wouldn’t be against having one but the cost is prohibitive. 
There is an Arvor 215 on the opposite pontoon that has one fitted, ironically it seems to have more incidents than any other boat, the bottle nose looks like it’s been artexed with filler. 

Yeah I concede that the cost of a good retro fit isn’t cheap. But I wouldn’t be without one. It just gives that little extra when you find yourself wanting. 

6 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yeah I concede that the cost of a good retro fit isn’t cheap. But I wouldn’t be without one. It just gives that little extra when you find yourself wanting. 

There may be a local company that provide training for you, these guys are at Shamrock https://www.solentboattraining.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9_mDBhCGARIsAN3PaFMxYotjXvVy6xunR4h4BeiYAeTbUuQBhhtt7WfTmiwbpyMuPWGmyA0aAs3REALw_wcB

They are helpful. 

10 minutes ago, JonC said:

There may be a local company that provide training for you, these guys are at Shamrock https://www.solentboattraining.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9_mDBhCGARIsAN3PaFMxYotjXvVy6xunR4h4BeiYAeTbUuQBhhtt7WfTmiwbpyMuPWGmyA0aAs3REALw_wcB

They are helpful. 

Haha. 

7 hours ago, JonC said:

That was on the cradle on the way back in the water. 

The speed has no relevance on here as there aren’t any others like it on here but I was happy with it because most people’s boats the same top out around 22kts, there’s always someone on the owners group that’s fitting a tuning box or re pitching their prop to try to get the extra click out of it. 

20 - 25knts is probably the prefect speed for most of the conditions that we fish.

There aren't  many 30knt days on UK waters, however, those are the days when I tend to push a long way offshore. For me a 30knt day is when the sea is 0.2 - 0.5m @ 10secs or more

Anything much above 30knts is way too taxing on the helm, as you need to be 150% alert and watching the sea for rouge waves, debris and also keeping a wary eye on any other boats in the vicinity.

2 hours ago, GPSguru said:

20 - 25knts is probably the prefect speed for most of the conditions that we fish.

There aren't  many 30knt days on UK waters, however, those are the days when I tend to push a long way offshore. For me a 30knt day is when the sea is 0.2 - 0.5m @ 10secs or more

Anything much above 30knts is way too taxing on the helm, as you need to be 150% alert and watching the sea for rouge waves, debris and also keeping a wary eye on any other boats in the vicinity.

Agree....

I can do 45 knots flat out. I cruise at max 25knts unless I’m running late for a lock or racing a mate up the haven and may do 30+ but you need eyes all around....

Looking good @JonC polished up really well, now to get some fish over the gunnels 🙂