Left handed ?? Why?

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

When you cast with your right hand, your left hand is on the butt of the rod. You have to move your left hand up to the foregrip, then move the rod under your left arm and your right hand onto the reel to wind. For us normal people the rod stays on our right hand side all the time and only our left hand has to move from the rod butt to the reel handle - no faffing about switching the rod from one side of our body to the other.

Or are you one of those goons that tucks the rod under their right arm whilst winding with their right hand? Now that's plain odd!

The but of the rod digs into the top of the thigh, or in my belly button. Why have you got it under your arm? 

Just now, JonC said:

The but of the rod digs into the top of the thigh, or in my belly button. Why have you got it under your arm? 

Because that's where it goes when you're winding in to change baits of course. Or are you saying you need to brace the rod just to change a bait?

Just now, JonC said:

@Andy135All I can think is that you have some major coordination issues going on if it’s that much of a struggle to move your hands around the rod. Probably best get a lanyard for it in future. 

That's the point. We don't need to move our hands around the rod cos we already have them in the optimal position. It's you wrong'uns that have to move your hands around the rod and the rod around your body.

When playing large fish in coarse fishing, I hold the rod in the right, and control the reel with the right as well with only winding done by the left or altering the rear drag which doesn't happen often. All forms of casting is right arm dominant, tho I can side cast left handed when required..... What I do find easier, is controlling the lever drag with the right which needs to be more precise with running fish..... I can do brute force with either arm

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

It's you wrong'uns that have to move your hands around the rod and the rod around your body.

Yeah, but we don't, If casting you pick it up in the right, if retrieving, pick it up with the left......

9 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

That's the point. We don't need to move our hands around the rod cos we already have them in the optimal position. It's you wrong'uns that have to move your hands around the rod and the rod around your body.

I suppose that’s good as you are less likely to drop it completely when you are having a coordination melt down 

Just now, suzook12 said:

Yeah, but we don't, If casting you pick it up in the right, if retrieving, pick it up with the left......

And when you cast, your right hand is holding the rod, thumb on spool, and the left hand has to come over the top of the reel to flick the reel out of gear. Another example of how a right hand multi is less optimal than a leftie, where everything is on the appropriate side for the hand in question.

3 minutes ago, JonC said:

I suppose that’s good as you are less likely to drop it completely when you are having a coordination melt down 

Luckily, we're less likely to have coordination melt downs as everything is in the correct place for us 😉

6 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

And when you cast, your right hand is holding the rod, thumb on spool, and the left hand has to come over the top of the reel to flick the reel out of gear. Another example of how a right hand multi is less optimal than a leftie, where everything is on the appropriate side for the hand in question.

But it’s all done fluidly by most normal people, I don’t have to talk myself through a little ritual. 
Maybe you could leave postit notes all over your rod to guide you through? 

4 minutes ago, JonC said:

But it’s all done fluidly by most normal people, I don’t have to talk myself through a little ritual. 
Maybe you could leave postit notes all over your rod to guide you through? 

But we don't need to Jon! 🤣🤣

Everything's in the correct place for us normal people. You lot can be as fluid as you like, but you're still using the reel with the wrong hand.

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

But we don't need to Jon! 🤣🤣

Everything's in the correct place for us normal people. You lot can be as fluid as you like, but you're still using the reel with the wrong hand.

Well 97% of the world’s population agrees with me . 
I’m right you’re wrong end of. 

• Andy135 locked, pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Andy135 unlocked this topic
1 minute ago, GPSguru said:

Just by reading the thread it is easy to reach the conclusion that there is no right, or no wrong, or no correct, or no incorrect with the issue of R/H Vs L/H boat multi reels and the way you hold your rod 😇

Far too diplomatic of you GPS. Why let pragmatism get in the way of a good argument 🤣👍

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

And so to conclude, 

holding the rod in the right and winding with the left is the correct way to do it. Any other ways are crap. 

Yep. Glad we got that important point cleared up unanimously and amicably...

gor what a load of c---

it dose not mater what way you do it, just cath the fish and enjoy doing it.

you loot must be board stiff,

i say it dose not mater which way you hold it as long as the lady is happy