Work starts today.

Saintly Fish

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

No need. Builder is doing it in stages. Build over the top, then dismantle the old. 

Hopefully the weather holds out then. I don’t deal with many builders that chance it these days, one flooded room can wipe the job out. I’m sure you’ll be ok though- it’s not like you’re on a hill or near the coast. 

9 minutes ago, JonC said:

Hopefully the weather holds out then. I don’t deal with many builders that chance it these days, one flooded room can wipe the job out. I’m sure you’ll be ok though- it’s not like you’re on a hill or near the coast. 

No, nowhere near either 😬

17 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

We don’t get minted by being generous Martin, do we??

I don’t think it’s to do with being tight, more to do with efficiency. Most trades are booked up as far as they can see and spending a couple of grand on a lid guarantees they keep working and on schedule, not rained off for days on end 

2 hours ago, JonC said:

spending a couple of grand on a lid guarantees they keep working and on schedule, not rained off for days on end 

That's cheap, thought lids were much more expensive than that kind of money

Just now, Maverick said:

That's cheap, thought lids were much more expensive than that kind of money

All depends on how big, but to sling a roof over the front of a bungalow like that is only another day on top of the existing scaffold. 
Tin roofs have always had some inexplicable price concept to them but in reality they aren’t any great feat. 

7 minutes ago, JonC said:

All depends on how big, but to sling a roof over the front of a bungalow like that is only another day on top of the existing scaffold. 
Tin roofs have always had some inexplicable price concept to them but in reality they aren’t any great feat. 

The tarp seems to be holding up in the 50 mph winds. 

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

The tarp seems to be holding up in the 50 mph winds. 

I hope it will be fine. Nobody wants the hassle of storm damage.

That looks like piles of tiles on the scaffold, I assume they are the new ones ready for the roofers ? I am surprised you managed to source them as tiles are in short supply at the moment, brother in law has been told they wont be available until sept /oct for one of his extension jobs !

4 hours ago, GPSguru said:

That looks like piles of tiles on the scaffold, I assume they are the new ones ready for the roofers ? I am surprised you managed to source them as tiles are in short supply at the moment, brother in law has been told they wont be available until sept /oct for one of his extension jobs !

The pile of tiles are the old ones stripped off the roof. New ones we need extra will be here next week. We are re using the old ones as they are only 10 years old from when we re roofed after our last extension. 

4 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I’m guessing that they are the old tiles, generally with loft conversions the old tiles are used on the most visible elevation 

11 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

i hop all gose well with the woork

and i am not taking the mick

i leav that to the exsperts on here

oh hav e you started the radar yet as i wold exspect youre 2 biszy know

I’m waiting on better weather before I start drilling new holes in the roof Pete.