A toothy tale from this week

JDP

This was one from a trip earlier in the week that my daughter almost didn't think to mention to me, it was only that I heard her mentioning to someone on the phone. The main target on her charters is yellowtail kingfish, targeted because of their extreme fighting power and that's what the anglers here want (not sharks!!!). 

Live bait tanks loaded with mackerel and yakka's (horse mackerel) they started getting into a few kings, with the odd one getting munched up by bronze whalers which are very common in the 60kg - 80kg size. So what started off as a little live bait soon turned into a decent kingfish but then the dreaded bronzy took over the fight when it also got hooked up after eating the king. This was a decent sized whaler of around 80kg and was giving the angler a fair amount of fun when it suddenly stopped and just turned to a dead weight. Next thing up comes just the head of the shark!!!!...theres always something bigger and tougher down there. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JDP said:

This was one from a trip earlier in the week that my daughter almost didn't think to mention to me, it was only that I heard her mentioning to someone on the phone. The main target on her charters is yellowtail kingfish, targeted because of their extreme fighting power and that's what the anglers here want (not sharks!!!). 

Live bait tanks loaded with mackerel and yakka's (horse mackerel) they started getting into a few kings, with the odd one getting munched up by bronze whalers which are very common in the 60kg - 80kg size. So what started off as a little live bait soon turned into a decent kingfish but then the dreaded bronzy took over the fight when it also got hooked up after eating the king. This was a decent sized whaler of around 80kg and was giving the angler a fair amount of fun when it suddenly stopped and just turned to a dead weight. Next thing up comes just the head of the shark!!!!...theres always something bigger and tougher down there. 

The megladon lives!! 

2 hours ago, mick said:

Wonder if that`s the Poole Bay monster on holiday in Aus.☺️

Lots of Poole bay monsters here, great whites, tigers, bull sharks and at the top orca's.

1 hour ago, Tony smith said:

Sounds amazing mate how many bedrooms do you have 😬

We will leave now 😂

Want to car share? 🤣

So basically, you use bait to catch king fish to use as bait for sharks, which you then use as bait for something bigger? 🤔🤔

Im on my way 🤣🤣🤣

Word of one boat landing a 70kg+ yellowfin followed by a bluefin tuna and topped off with a 170kg highly prized blue marlin from today. I have a young lad staying with us at the moment (and his two boats) who is struggling to find a crew to head out with him over the weekend. A run of unusually big hounds some going over 30kg have been caught by the inshore anglers over the past week, at 27, 29 and 32kg which I would be more interested in chasing. I have one day I can fish before heading away driving a commercial abalone dive boat.

Edited by JDP

13 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

When I was there, Abalone = big money, however, I think they taste disgusting !

Yep, still taste pretty average and still fetch around $40kg to the fisherman. I believe in a restaurant an abalone starter is in excess of $200. We rarely bother keeping any when we dive recreationally. I just earn pocket money driving the boats but its something I love doing, far more challenging having two divers bellow on hooka with the boat drifting in the wind and wash of inshore reefs than anchoring up with a group of diving tourists.

• Like 1

There’s a TV program on in the U.K. sometimes about abalone divers, quite interesting to see what you guys get up to 🙂 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Odyssey said:

There’s a TV program on in the U.K. sometimes about abalone divers, quite interesting to see what you guys get up to 🙂 

Does it mention a fair few divers get eaten by sharks and are they diving from anchored or driven boats ? Most only have one diver down, I have two in the water at a time, I have to clean every abalone to remove marine growth then stack them in a special way while at the same time not drifting over air hoses or allowing the boat to drift away dragging the divers. I process around 900-1400 abalone onboard ready for market, its a flat out job. I pretty much use a razor sharp meat cleaver without barley looking at it as my eyes are on the water the whole day. 

Ive seen some of those shows which target green lip abalone, which tend to be a bigger species and are only collected in amounts of around 150-200kg per day, at a much more sedate pace, which would be nice!!!