West Wales

Odyssey

Rob Rennie had 4 today, smallest 120lb best 250lb+

WHY DID I HAVE TO BE STUCK IN WORK 😢😢😢😢😢

• Like 1

Just heard another boat had 10....

Friday and Sunday pencilled in for shark dates.... time to hunt them down...

12 hours ago, Dicky said:

I'm out on White Water next Thursday, sounds like there's a few about now

I’m out Sunday and Maybe Tuesday (too windy Monday). 

I look forward to how you get on 🙂 it’s patchy at the moment so you may bay up or blank. Rob had 3 blanks before he found some.

well, where do i start!!

Bit lumpy on the way out but still managed to cruise at 20 knts. 30+ miles out from the heads the engines were eased and it was time to get to work. Smash up chum, get it over the side then start setting the rods out. 5 rods on the sharks and 1 down for bait on the bottom. It was very slow and still fairly lumpy and probably took nearly an hour to find a whiting. We replaced a few hook baits with fresh whiting and waited, and waited, then we waited a bit more. Eventually one of the deep rods showed a bit of interest, a slow take, nothing spectacular. This was on a 50-80 rod with a talica 30 so serious kit. after about 5 minutes the fish woke up and went on a few strong runs. It took Jason around the boat  a few times and after half an hour it was obvious this was a good fish as it was taking line easily against a fairly tight clutch. We got all the other lines in as we didn't want to risk another hook up. Cut a long story a little short about 90 minutes later we had released the mother of all beagles estimated by Andrew at 400-420lb. This fish was truly huge and actual true weight will never be known but in all honesty it doesn't matter. Just to see a fish of that size will live with me forever and i feel privileged to have been there. I think this is the biggest beagle from a Welsh port but could be wrong. We had another 2 to the boat one around a ton the other about 70-80lb. I had drawn number 5 so shit out ( but i did catch the bait that landed the beast lol) but just means i am number 2 on the rods next month. We also see at least 10 sunfish, never seen more than 2 in a day before. Top day, on a top boat with a top skipper.  

• Like 4

Superb day out Dicky I reckon. Like you said, the image of that fish by the side of the boat will be etched in your memory for ever! Hopefully you can do the business yourself next time mate! 💪🏻

20 hours ago, Dicky said:

Andy had another 12 yesterday up to 130lb. There is a lot out there at the moment. We didn't have the numbers but that's how it goes. 

Have you been out lately Luke?

Our last week, 3 blues, loads of runs. Lost a lovely porgie when mono leader snapped. 

Same day Rob had one small blue and one dropped run. Next day he had 10. It’s picking up, if they are hungry you know about it 🙂 

Back out Weds or Thursday, Mono wind on leaders are in the bin....

Planning a day night trip on 2-3rd July. Steam out Friday afternoon come back in Saturday eve, 24hr fishing session to maximise time out there 

On 6/20/2021 at 2:58 PM, Dicky said:

Sounds like an adventure 

Do they feed through darkness? 

Yep…. Much more likely to feed in the dark. The big girls come up on the surface after bait fish do hopefully they’ll want to take my bait 😉 

• Like 1