Friday afternoon in the Blackwater

JonC

I finished work early today, I was booked in for my second jab this evening but I stopped in  the centre on the way home on the off chance that I could sneak in early, which to my surprise was enthusiastically welcomed. 
This left me at a loose end, so I picked up some rag worm from our local self service place and made my way to the marina. 
High water was about 1330 ish, so for the last half hour of the flood I just sat there, the wind was pretty strong and was holding me beam on rolling all over. 
I parked on the edge of a deep hole, a spot I’d previously had stingers from, but after an hour of nothing and being bumped all over the place I pulled the rip cord and bailed out. 
I moved back up the river where it was a lot smoother and set the baits. 
It was a slow few hours with only a few raja clavita showing any interest. All were small, maybe 5-6lb best ways.

945DC050-23CC-40F4-89E3-DF3A557B1FA4.jpeg

A8BC4187-785D-444D-8EEE-468DCE033C56.jpeg

58496EB3-C87B-43CC-A949-03A0B720D7E2.jpeg

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, JonC said:

A8BC4187-785D-444D-8EEE-468DCE033C56.jpeg

You need a guard on that hook to protect the fish from the pointy end 🤣

Well done on getting out, we usually find all the plumbers, scaffolders and small builders launching on a Friday afternoon 🤣

Hopefully we will take a run down to the skerries tomorrow .........

Well done for wrangling a session out of nowhere. Often these spur of the moment sessions are the best ones... sadly not in your case but good on you for toughing it out nonetheless. 👍

What's your self service bait place all about then? Don't tell me you actually dug some yourself?? 🤣

2 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Well done for wrangling a session out of nowhere. Often these spur of the moment sessions are the best ones... sadly not in your case but good on you for toughing it out nonetheless. 👍

What's your self service bait place all about then? Don't tell me you actually dug some yourself?? 🤣

It’s what you would expect a self serve place to be, you go in, get your worm out the fridge put your money in an envelope then put the envelope through the letterbox. 

4 minutes ago, JonC said:

It’s what you would expect a self serve place to be, you go in, get your worm out the fridge put your money in an envelope then put the envelope through the letterbox. 

You say it's what one would expect, but we don't have any of those round my way. Never even heard of them. If they had them in Pompey they'd go bust before the end of the month as every bugger would "forget" to put their money in.

Clearly you lot are a better breed of dangler in Bradwell. 😇

• Optimistic 1

1 minute ago, JonC said:

Why would people abuse it? It’s a really good service 

My thoughts exactly, but sadly they do. At my old boat yard last week the resident charter skipper donated a nets-worth of sandeels that he'd netted. He froze them down and left them in the club freezer for members to bag up and put their names on for the upcoming bass comp... On the day of the comp the club freezer had been cleaned out by an unscrupulous member who had nicked other peoples' named bags. Unfortunately it's the way of things these days, taking advantage of anything that isn't nailed down.

30 minutes ago, JonC said:

Why would people abuse it? It’s a really good service 

People would definitely abuse that sort of service here, but I think it is an excellent idea.

Edited by GPSguru
  • Agree 1