Boat prices

Used boat prices, and the boat market in general, seem to be buoyant despite the pandemic and economic uncertainty. What do we reckon is driving this? Can't all be furlough payments and cash saved whilst working from home... can it?

It due to the fact that people are staying home and looking for a way to spend their leisure time, instead of going abroad. Too many people and not enough boats for the demand is giving greedy brokers and owners license to inflate prices by around 20%. 
The same is for the caravan and camper van market. Staycation properties are the same. All driven by greed and the ready money market we have at present. A work colleague of my wife had a cottage booked in north Devon for august, they booked it in December 2029, in March this year their booking was cancelled, apparently due to Covid (the old new excuse for everything). They paid £1200 for 10 days. Money was refunded, but a month later the same place was being advertised for x3 the amount for the same dates!  
pure greed.

3 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

20%?? And the rest mate!!

It seems to be everything.... Bikes, boats, cars, vans, lathes yada yada yada. Shop around and theres still some sensible priced stuff out there

But you have to be Jonny on the spot to grab a bargain. 

8 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Hmm, anyone wanna buy a boat??

Trouble is you’ll only benefit if you are getting out of boating all together. Otherwise the money you make you will have to spend on the next boat that’s over inflated. 

8 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Trouble is you’ll only benefit if you are getting out of boating all together. Otherwise the money you make you will have to spend on the next boat that’s over inflated. 

Unless you happen to fall on anabsolute bargain, there are a few about still

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

It due to the fact that people are staying home and looking for a way to spend their leisure time, instead of going abroad. Too many people and not enough boats for the demand is giving greedy brokers and owners license to inflate prices by around 20%. 
The same is for the caravan and camper van market. Staycation properties are the same. All driven by greed and the ready money market we have at present. A work colleague of my wife had a cottage booked in north Devon for august, they booked it in December 2029, in March this year their booking was cancelled, apparently due to Covid (the old new excuse for everything). They paid £1200 for 10 days. Money was refunded, but a month later the same place was being advertised for x3 the amount for the same dates!  
pure greed.

Rental properties here in South Devon have gone through the roof. As an example, a property that I know well in Shaldon is normally a grand(ish) in summer high season, at the moment it is £6K per week and almost fully booked !

There has been the odd Bargin, but FB groups have seen some boats go for simply stupid money, which in turn has pushed up alot of boat prices.

I guess if people are willing to pay it then more fool them.

I've also found some boat owners / chandlers to be complete *&^%@. Happy to try an rip you off an bullshit a potential buyer. Would sell thier granny to make a quid.

Just sold mine well above what I paid for it but had to spend well above average to get the latest one. Just noticed a big jump in price on marine electronics, to the point my daughters Garmin unit has gone from $1500 three months ago to $2800 now, that's not a small jump at all.

Most new car sales yards have nothing to offer now that China has cut off the manufacturing plants. If it is made in China, which most things are these days, we might all be waiting a while for any fixes to the situation.

I had three old iPhones kicking around at home, a 7s 6s and 5s which were all put on buy swap at what I considered to be average to what they were selling for a few months ago. I had so many people chasing them I simply couldn't keep up with the messages, with most wanting to buy all three together at the asking price. Sold all three to the same person who instantly put them back on buy swap at more than double my price and sold them all within two days, crazy times.

8 hours ago, Jon cook said:

There has been the odd Bargin, but FB groups have seen some boats go for simply stupid money, which in turn has pushed up alot of boat prices.

I guess if people are willing to pay it then more fool them.

I've also found some boat owners / chandlers to be complete *&^%@. Happy to try an rip you off an bullshit a potential buyer. Would sell thier granny to make a quid.

Sorry to hear that Jon. Guessing you're still boat-hunting then?

Does seem like a crazy market. I guess it works both ways though - when I sold Apache I had randoms and chancers phoning me and offering lowball figures paid direct to my bank account, or booking viewings then cancelling. @JonC kindly advertised on FB for me and had to deal with some of the weirdo buyers offering tuppence hapenny and a bag of chips for her.

What's certain is that there is a lot of interest in boats right know, but the buying and selling process definitely hasn't got any easier.

7 hours ago, JDP said:

Sold all three to the same person who instantly put them back on buy swap at more than double my price and sold them all within two days, crazy times.

Ouch! That would really stick in my throat 🤬

6 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Sorry to hear that Jon. Guessing you're still boat-hunting then?

No I bought the little centre console before I sold the other boat, couldn't be without!!!!....in saying that we still had two more at home, so three again now!!!

6 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Ouch! That would really stick in my throat

No not really, the young woman looked to be in her mid 20's and had 4 kids in primary school and another on the way. I guessed by her appearance she was doing it tough, so the phones would help her out.

4 minutes ago, JDP said:

No I bought the little centre console before I sold the other boat, couldn't be without!!!!....in saying that we still had two more at home, so three again now!!!

Ha! Crossed wires - that comment was directed at @Jon cook, but good to hear you're still fully equipped with boats @JDP 👍

5 minutes ago, JDP said:

No not really, the young woman looked to be in her mid 20's and had 4 kids in primary school and another on the way. I guessed by her appearance she was doing it tough, so the phones would help her out.

Fair enough - tough times for many right now.

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

but good to hear you're still fully equipped with boats @JDP 👍

Well one is only 3.5m and lives on the bank at the lake and the other is my daughters rib taking up half the garage!!!

Planning a solo mako session in the new little one as soon as Ive finished fitting it out. Dropped it onto some tyre on the lawn today so I can get the trailer tidied up.