E10 Fuel Protection

Just now, JonC said:

Well your book is incomplete, you probably haven’t even coloured half of it in yet. 

‘Two steps (or two planks) too far is a connection to WW1 artillery. To stop the guns sinking into the mud of the Western Front, planks were wedged beneath their wheels. Military legend claims that in the absence of boards, bodies were used. ‘

Maybe so, but it is out of context with my use of the term,

Referring to the Urban dictionary,

plank.jpg.0ce8292e88e848070d625666848db823.jpg

13 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Maybe so, but it is out of context with my use of the term,

Referring to the Urban dictionary,

plank.jpg.0ce8292e88e848070d625666848db823.jpg

I still don’t get how me guesstimating £15 per tank more expensive to use super makes me thick when you came out with the same figures after all your bluster? How does that leave you then if it makes me thick? 

Ok, back to the point in hand…..

Ill start to bung some in from October as weather will be worse…. 

I won’t use super….

Oh and I don’t empty my tanks, that’s the problem so will need to add the additive 🙂 

I was talking to a friend of mine who has a speed boat in the ski club in the village, he runs an older 225 engine and doesn’t seem at all concerned about the change and that seems to be the general consensus there. It’ll be interesting to see how they get on. 

13 minutes ago, JonC said:

I was talking to a friend of mine who has a speed boat in the ski club in the village, he runs an older 225 engine and doesn’t seem at all concerned about the change and that seems to be the general consensus there. It’ll be interesting to see how they get on. 

Any engine built before 2011 will have issues, mainly corrosion in the fuel system, but also some may suffer head issues with burnt valves.

"The quickstor additive does 227L per bottle and is about £12  - £14, so quite a cost effective solution."

I"ve just looked at quickstor and am I reading something wrong ?

"Quicksilver Quickstor 355ml - A fuel stabiliser that will prevent fuel break down and oxidisation for up to one year. Also prevents fuel system corrosion and gum build up. Lubricates injectors and carburettors. 1 ounce treats 12 gallons - bottle contains 12 ounces."

So a bottle treats 12 x 12 =144 gallons ?

144 gallons is 654 litres not 227 litres.

Am I missing something ?

Edited by headlight

10 minutes ago, headlight said:

"The quickstor additive does 227L per bottle and is about £12  - £14, so quite a cost effective solution."

"Quicksilver Quickstor 355ml - A fuel stabiliser that will prevent fuel break down and oxidisation for up to one year. Also prevents fuel system corrosion and gum build up. Lubricates injectors and carburettors. 1 ounce treats 12 gallons - bottle contains 12 ounces."

Am I missing something ?

Actually thats 546 Litres as they will be US gallons, but even so, big difference

1 hour ago, headlight said:

Am I missing something ?

You got the wrong info !

Quickstor dosage is 1oz / 5us gal

The metric dosage is 1.6ml / L

It is clearly written on the bottle that it treats 60us gal / 227L

here is a link to the mercury info

https://embed.widencdn.net/pdf/plus/mercurymarine/bhxfa7yhgc/8M0049811_MC_123-EXT.pdf

Edited by GPSguru

4 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

1.6ml of quickstor per Litre of petrol 👍

I use a 100ml  plastic syringe calibrated in  1 mL increments.

Yes I rounded down.

I get my petrol 20 litres per can so I'll put 30ml in per can.

I've just bought a 50ml plastic syringe graduated in 5ml increments, that will be close enough.

58 minutes ago, JonC said:

No wonder the nhs is struggling with all the equipment being robbed 

No, she bought them through a supplier for me. Those in normal use are unsuitable .  Also, I said ‘medical profession’  of which there are many that are not government funded. Can you read and inwardly digest or do you still need feck’in numpty pictures 🙄

So on yer bike johnny 🖕😂😂😂😂

Edited by GPSguru

10 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

No, she bought them through a supplier for me. Those in normal use are unsuitable .  Also, I said ‘medical profession’  of which there are many that are not government funded. Can you read and inwardly digest or do you still need feck’in numpty pictures 🙄

So on yer bike johnny 🖕😂😂😂😂

The odd syringe here and defibrillator there soon adds up. 

10 minutes ago, JonC said:

The odd syringe here and defibrillator there soon adds up. 

Well yes, it probably does if YOU keep stealing them .

That sort of activity is completely alien to me, not something I would even think of doing. 😇

On 7/24/2021 at 1:42 PM, GPSguru said:

I know that @Clinker has always used quickstor in his 225, with good results, but  I am not sure if Andrew also uses premium fuel.

So, what are you guys going to use to protect your fuel system ?

I'm a bit late to this discussion, but yes, I use premium fuel in addition to Quickstor and Quickleen on every fill up and will continue to do so for as long as I can.  I'm sure the engine would cope with E10, but it's the fuel that's stored over winter that concerns me.  I try to run it down but sometimes I don't get out as often as I would hope in October which is the last month my insurance lets me stay on the mooring.

Edited by Clinker

2 hours ago, Clinker said:

I'm a bit late to this discussion, but yes, I use premium fuel in addition to Quickstor and Quickleen on every fill up and will continue to do so for as long as I can.  I'm sure the engine would cope with E10, but it's the fuel that's stored over winter that concerns me.  I try to run it down but sometimes I don't get out as often as I would hope in October which is the last month my insurance lets me stay on the mooring.

I am just using. E10 and  quickstor on the advice of Barrus.

I use my boat all winter as we tend to get at least a couple fishable days per month, but as you know winter weather is completely unpredictable and the quickstor will give me some comfort that the E10 wont separate.