E10 Fuel Protection

On 8/5/2021 at 7:16 PM, GPSguru said:

I am just using. E10 and  quickstor on the advice of Barrus.

I use my boat all winter as we tend to get at least a couple fishable days per month, but as you know winter weather is completely unpredictable and the quickstor will give me some comfort that the E10 wont separate.

If push comes to shove, I’ll just have to buy a pump so I can empty the tank for winter - both our cars are petrol (never had one of those diesel thingys) so I do have a way of using anything I had to pump out.

I’ll be using E5 as long as I can in the meantime.

Edited by Clinker

7 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Apparently it's relatively easy to remove the ethanol from petrol. See below.

Which makes me wonder if the same principle could be used with a water separating filter for boats.

Your video is age restricted, so unfortunately I’m unable to watch it. 

I did mention this before, an old drag racers trick..... You can't really do it on a boat because the fuel needs to settle out before you draw the clean fuel off. Also makes the fuel excrutiatingly expensive because for every litre you lose just over 10% and its not like it's expensive enough already!! Either super unleaded (E5) or additives is probably a better solution....

43 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

I did mention this before, an old drag racers trick..... You can't really do it on a boat because the fuel needs to settle out before you draw the clean fuel off. Also makes the fuel excrutiatingly expensive because for every litre you lose just over 10% and its not like it's expensive enough already!! Either super unleaded (E5) or additives is probably a better solution....

With E10 being to only available standard unleaded fuel here in South Devon, and judging by what I see on the slipway etc, I can't really see a lot of boaters taking much interest in this change, so it will be interesting in April/May next year !

I have spoken to a good friend in the local boatyard, and he has told me that they are gearing up to be able to rapidly pump out tanks of up to 1000L. I mentioned that in the event of phase separation and accumulated water in the bottom of the tank, would it not be easier to just pump out the water content ? His reply was that once separation has occurred, then the fuel octane rating will be way too low for a lot of engines to cope with, although modern Mercs will run happily on a minimum of 91 octane.

My engine and fuel system are designed for E10, so I will just use an additive (which keeps the fuel good for up to 12 months) as a precaution. I tend to use my boat at least once a month in the winter.

28 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

With E10 being to only available standard unleaded fuel here in South Devon, and judging by what I see on the slipway etc, I can't really see a lot of boaters taking much interest in this change, so it will be interesting in April/May next year !

I have spoken to a good friend in the local boatyard, and he has told me that they are gearing up to be able to rapidly pump out tanks of up to 1000L. I mentioned that in the event of phase separation and accumulated water in the bottom of the tank, would it not be easier to just pump out the water content ? His reply was that once separation has occurred, then the fuel octane rating will be way too low for a lot of engines to cope with, although modern Mercs will run happily on a minimum of 91 octane.

My engine and fuel system are designed for E10, so I will just use an additive (which keeps the fuel good for up to 12 months) as a precaution. I tend to use my boat at least once a month in the winter.

Yeah, that was something touched on in the video I posted regards octane. This is where you can add a substance such as silkolene pro boost, although there are many others. The video suggests octanes as low as 88. From memory when last abroad, we were running 92 grade and the bikes ran just fine (all 90's bike engines or newer).

I suppose a 2nd hand car electric fuel pump could be used on a stick to pump the bottom of the tank out (a method I use with a cheap caravan water pump for the heating oil tank...)

E10

i have used e5 for a while but i recently did a 350 mike round trip and due to the marina i stayed at not having a fuel station i had to jerry can fill up 3 times over the period. 

on my return journey i checked my fuel water separator 2 times and each time i emptied it i had 50 50 water and fuel. 

this fuel wasnt standing around and only a few hrs between full and using mostly all of the tank 250lts 

i will stay well clear and use e5 or premium.

what we have to think about is not if our engines can run on e10 but can they run on water? 
it really is that simple 

Ill do my best to avoid the orange taxi service thanks.

Can someone post up the correct stuff to buy please? 

Im hoping to be out soon and will need to refuel when I get back. As the weather is likely to get worse I want to get in the routine off adding additives to the tanks if I know im not out for a week or 2….

Just want to make sure I’m adding the right stuff as I can’t find any Yamaha equivalent…. 😬😬😬😬

13 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Can someone post up the correct stuff to buy please? 

Im hoping to be out soon and will need to refuel when I get back. As the weather is likely to get worse I want to get in the routine off adding additives to the tanks if I know im not out for a week or 2….

Just want to make sure I’m adding the right stuff as I can’t find any Yamaha equivalent…. 😬😬😬😬

I use Quicksilver Quickstor, which is a mercury product and stocked by most chandlers. Andrew ( @Clinker) uses the same stuff. 

15 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

I use Quicksilver Quickstor, which is a mercury product and stocked by most chandlers. Andrew ( @Clinker) uses the same stuff. 

Ok cool. I doubt Yamaha will bs too badly affected…

I know that Yam engines are fine with E10, it’s just the lines and tank that worries me! But it’s plastic so no varnish to disolve like in GRP tank….

I shall see if I can get some at a reasonable price….

Bulk maybe cheaper…. 🤔🤔🤔

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quicksilver-Quickstor-Inboard-Fuel-Tank-Stabiliser-3-78L-/193704201968?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Edited by Odyssey

Premier just sent all their berth-holders an email stating that they'll continue with E5 (as Super Unleaded) from their fuel berths for a short period of time after the cut-off date but will move over to E10 "in the near future". A quick search in the manual for my engine and I came across the following.

kxq7VIH.jpg

Looks like a lucky escape, or perhaps a reprieve, for me then. But I will need to replace my fuel lines - they should be the required standard to handle ethanol blends but are about 10 years old now so will need doing anyway.

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Premier just sent all their berth-holders an email stating that they'll continue with E5 (as Super Unleaded) from their fuel berths for a short period of time after the cut-off date but will move over to E10 "in the near future". A quick search in the manual for my engine and I came across the following.

kxq7VIH.jpg

Looks like a lucky escape, or perhaps a reprieve, for me then. But I will need to replace my fuel lines - they should be the required standard to handle ethanol blends but are about 10 years old now so will need doing anyway.

You also need to check that the fuel hose from the tank to the engine is a low permeability hose designed for E10 type fuels. Most are marked with a BS number. 👍

2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

kxq7VIH.jpg

Are there cost implications? 

11 minutes ago, JonC said:

Are there cost implications? 

They didn't say, but my guess is that E5 Super will be more expensive than the E10 Regular, so I expect to see the fuel pontoon prices go up for Super, and hopefully come back down again when E10 is provided... however, suspect that they may just keep the E5 price when they start selling the E10...

1 hour ago, JonC said:

I think @GPSgurutold me that  buying super only works out marginally more expensive than messing about with additives. 

I guess it depends on your interpretation of marginal !

However, additives are also designed to protect the complete fuel system from the quite harmful effects of ethanol.

Edited by GPSguru

3 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

I guess it depends on your interpretation of marginal !

However, additives are also designed to protect the complete furl system from the quite harmful effects of ethanol.

Watch out, there’s a couple of spelling mistakes in there that will get the grammar nazis on your case. Edit them quickly before they see. 

3 minutes ago, JonC said:

Watch out, there’s a couple of spelling mistakes in there that will get the grammar nazis on your case. Edit them quickly before they see. 

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Jon... 👀

30 minutes ago, JonC said:

Blame sausage fingers and a poxy iphone keypad, with poor touchscreen accuracy ! 🤣

I was reading up some more on this subject, saw an article saying the additives hold any water in solution so to speak, rather than letting it settle and forming acids.... But the water is still there and drawn in to the engine. So if that is true, then E5 will be better all round than E10 no matter what you mix in with it....

Do you think they are trying to get more people to buy diesels..........