The next Outlaws outing.

So the trip is all arranged. The details are… 

Sunday 24th October, leave Poole quay at 8am aboard Ocean Runner skippered by Ryan Jones. 
It will be a 10 hour day including travel to the marks. Quarry will hopefully be rays, turbot, plaice and pollock. 
Ive been told that there may well be a few larger eels thrown in for good measure. 
If anybody does happen to drop out for whatever reason (these things happen) we will notify and find a replacement if possible. 
If not, look out for the next trip!! 

I'm guessing I need to bring my 20lb class gear.

Uptide gear?

Heavier gear/lighter gear?

I have no idea what will be needed as never fished that part of the world, so any info welcomed.

Also what sort of terminal gear will be needed?

1 hour ago, suzook12 said:

I'm guessing I need to bring my 20lb class gear.

Uptide gear?

Heavier gear/lighter gear?

I have no idea what will be needed as never fished that part of the world, so any info welcomed.

Also what sort of terminal gear will be needed?

This is a good question. Based on the species that Neil discussed with the skipper we'll probably need a diverse set up. My early thinking is 20-30lb rod with a simple running ledger for rays & conger, my slow jigging rod for pollock and then a 6-12lb rod with bling for plaice and turbot. However, with ten of us on board, I suspect we may be asked to limit ourselves to a single rod down at any one time. Might have to scratch the 20-30 and 6-12 rods, and use a single 12-20lb'er for everything as a jack of all trades rod. 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

This is a good question. Based on the species that Neil discussed with the skipper we'll probably need a diverse set up. My early thinking is 20-23lb rod with a simple running ledger for rays & conger, my slow jigging rod for pollock and then a 6-12lb rod with bling for plaice and turbot. However, with ten of us on board, I suspect we may be asked to limit ourselves to a single rod down at any one time. Might have to scratch the 20-30 and 6-12 rods, and use a single 12-20lb'er for everything as a jack of all trades rod. 🤷‍♂️

A decent uptide rod will just about cover all bases I reckon. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2021 at 12:12 PM, Maverick said:

I am Poole based so can offer some pointers re gear.

You will not get all those species on one mark so take several sets of gear just in case.  Tides are similar to those experienced off of the IOW which should give you an idea of whats required.  Inshore for plaice and bream use 6-12lb gear.  Offshore for rays and conger depending on tides you may get away with 12-20lb but if large tides you will need 20-30lb.  If you get blondes they can easily be 20lb plus which in any sort of tide are a challenge.  Congers can range from straps to 30lb plus with the average being around 15-20lb.  All this said speak with your skipper who will know the week before what the weather is likely to be and what you will be going for.  

I don’t have 20-30lb class gesr…. Only 12-20lb and uptide gear 😬😬😬

9 hours ago, Odyssey said:

I don’t have 20-30lb class gesr…. Only 12-20lb and uptide gear 😬😬😬

You will probably be ok with 12-20lb gear, all it would mean is if anchored in a large tide in deepish water your rod will bend more than others :classic_rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

You will probably be ok with 12-20lb gear, all it would mean is if anchored in a large tide in deepish water your rod will bend more than others :classic_rolleyes:

it will look good. though till you get  the tackle up

23 hours ago, Maverick said:

Always die that it catches big fish 😉 

On 8/5/2021 at 6:51 AM, Saintly Fish said:

So the trip is all arranged. The details are… 

Sunday 24th October, leave Poole quay at 8am aboard Ocean Runner skippered by Ryan Jones. 
It will be a 10 hour day including travel to the marks. Quarry will hopefully be rays, turbot, plaice and pollock. 
Ive been told that there may well be a few larger eels thrown in for good measure. 
If anybody does happen to drop out for whatever reason (these things happen) we will notify and find a replacement if possible. 
If not, look out for the next trip!! 

Are we planning any friendly comps on board? Most fish, biggest fish, best dogfish?

• Andy135 unfeatured this topic