If this is real, WTF?

Andy135

21 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Why aren't these guys having the book thrown at them for taking a tuna??

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/stunned-brit-lads-wrestle-monster-24681826.amp

Taken from the EU website, in answer to a parliamentary written question from Spain regarding the Gib Bluefin Quota

The bluefin tuna season in the territorial waters of Gibraltar started on 21 June 2021, with a total allowable catch of 19.81 tonnes set by the Government of Gibraltar. The season will remain open until 14 October or until the quota is reached. The total allowable catch has increased considerably from 15.5 tonnes in 2019. Last year, the Government of Gibraltar increased the quota for the bluefin tuna season from the initial quantity of 16.74 tonnes to 19.81 tonnes during the season.

So I guess it is in order, that they landed it. However at a 100" CFL it is big, but not that big, (500lb ish), bigger have been caught and released in the English Channel.

Edited by GPSguru

Well, fair enough if Gib has quota then. I will curtail my indignance 🤣

Even so, it's a lovely fish and a shame it ended up as someone's dinner.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Well, fair enough if Gib has quota then.

The Spanish were stirring the shit regarding how the Quota was justified and was it coming off the total EU quota.

18 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Well, fair enough if Gib has quota then. I will curtail my indignance 🤣

Putting that quota into real terms means that if the average fish is 400lb then they can keep 100 fish per season !

We can take roughly 5-7 of each species of tuna per day per person, which is quite ridiculous given the variety of species we have . In saying that most people won't take anymore than one. Pricing for commercial caught tuna varies depending on the market and how well the fishing has been going. The beginning of the season tends to sell at auction a novelty fish where the wealthy show off their wealth by spending high. Just like the seasons first box of mango's over here fetches around $50,000, where I pay $20 for the same size box or get given them for free from those who grow them in their gardens https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/panache/rich-fruits-from-50k-for-12-mangoes-to-4395-for-a-single-strawberry/bearing-rich-fruit/slideshow/64446450.cms

The same bluefin tuna are sold at certain times at market bellow 40c (20p per kg). I love how the UK sensationalise values and chop and change their weighing methods from stone, kg and lbs. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...