Ouch - lesson learned and got a new pressie

Fishing with my daughter and grandson night before last - had a nice evening catching a ‘baby shark’ (smoothhound), a few dogs, a spider crab and a tub gurnard (first time he’d seen one) - just putting the rods away when for the first time ever I got myself hooked past the barb - it hurts!

So I got the pliers with the idea of pushing the hook through and snipping off the end. No chance - couldn’t get anywhere near cutting though the hook, so had to bandage the hook against my thumb so I could get on with the business of getting us home.

Daughter not impressed with having to haul anchor! But she managed well and on the way home, we called at the fire station to get the hook cut through (benefits of a close community) - it didn’t half hurt to push it though past the barb before it could be cut.

So today, pressie from Amazon arrives courtesy of my daughter - nice pair of decent snips!

Moral of the story - whatever you have onboard to cut through hooks, check it does the job before needed in anger - and if you haven’t got a first aid kit on board, get one - I was very glad of it - without it, an uncomfortable journey home (as luck would have it we weren’t far away) would have instead been a painful journey home!

Edited by Clinker

4 minutes ago, Clinker said:

Fishing with my daughter and grandson night before last - had a nice evening catching a ‘baby shark’ (smoothhound), a few dogs, a spider crab and a tub gurnard (first time he’d seen one) - just putting the rods away when for the first time ever I got myself hooked past the barb - it hurts!

So I got the pliers with the idea of pushing the hook through and snipping off the end. No chance - couldn’t get anywhere near cutting though the hook, so had to bandage the hook against my thumb so I could get on with the business of getting us home.

Daughter not impressed with having to haul anchor! But she managed well and on the way home, we called at the fire station to get the hook cut through (benefits of a close community) - it didn’t half hurt to push it though past the barb before it could be cut.

So today, pressie from Amazon arrives courtesy of my daughter - nice pair of decent snips!

Ouch, that is one thing I hope I never have to do. Sounds bad. Glad you made it back ok though. 

I just dropped the weight as I was removing it - it pulled on the line and next thing I knew, the hook was well and truly through the side of my thumb - worst part was the barb hadn’t come right through and pushing it that little bit further to get it right through was a real grit-your-teeth thing!

I wasn’t even close to not being able to get back in though - and had I been on my own, of course I’d have had no option but to pull the anchor - it would have been quite uncomfortable though - grandson’s rowing skills improved to get us back from the mooring in the tender!

Edited by Clinker

Ouch! Sorry to hear that Clinker! Sadly I feel your pain - I had an unfortunate incident many years ago with a pike and a treble hook in my thumb joint. Not pleasant!

Glad you made it back home safely 👍

7 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Ouch! Sorry to hear that Clinker! Sadly I feel your pain - I had an unfortunate incident many years ago with a pike and a treble hook in my thumb joint. Not pleasant!

Glad you made it back home safely 👍

Ouch that’s bad too. I bet the guy who caught said Pike felt bad for not removing the hook before he let you hold it! 

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Ouch that’s bad too. I bet the guy who caught said Pike felt bad for not removing the hook before he let you hold it! 

He did, and he never made the same mistake again... 🤕

glad it turned out ok in the end -sounds painful - hope you have fully sanitised the area and have a tetnus jab?

those hooks carry a few nasties i'd imagine? dont want a good story turning bad due to infection.

(is it too early to ask for pics?) 

On 8/12/2021 at 10:10 PM, Clinker said:

Moral of the story - whatever you have onboard to cut through hooks, check it does the job before needed in anger - and if you haven’t got a first aid kit on board,

Hmmm, done that a couple of times.

I use CK side cutter for hooks up to 4/0 ish and small bolt cutters for hooks like 8/0 & 10/0.

CK side cutters are a premium brand so not cheap, however they last a very long time. I have one pair from when I was an apprentice (50 years ago) and still use them for electrical jobs. 

IIRC 5” CK side cutters will cut a 2BA bolt. 

City Electrical Factors (CEF) are stockists of CK.

On 8/13/2021 at 10:01 AM, mike farrants said:

those hooks carry a few nasties i'd imagine? dont want a good story turning bad due to infection.

Salt water is your best friend, it stops the bleeding and helps sort out the bacteria.

just dunk the wound straight in the sea. 

Yep all ok - didn’t take any photos - wound was cleaned with alcohol on the boat and after the hook was removed and fortunately it was a new hook and had just had the one lot of squid on it (which didn’t catch anything apart from me!)

Really the point of starting this thread was just to say to check that whatever you have on board to cut a hook will actually do the job.

And of course to check you have a decent first aid kit onboard - something I’ve always done and I also keep a waterproof quick reference book onboard.

Edited by Clinker

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 11:44 AM, GPSguru said:

Hmmm, done that a couple of times.

I use CK side cutter for hooks up to 4/0 ish and small bolt cutters for hooks like 8/0 & 10/0.

CK side cutters are a premium brand so not cheap, however they last a very long time. I have one pair from when I was an apprentice (50 years ago) and still use them for electrical jobs. 

IIRC 5” CK side cutters will cut a 2BA bolt. 

City Electrical Factors (CEF) are stockists of CK.

Please can you tell me what size are they and what colour handle, so I can order right ones. thanks.