GPS map2010c antenna issue

Lastly, check for breaks in the sounder wiring. Perhaps you disturbed it when wiring in the new antenna. Could be as simple as checking the sounder cables are actually plugged/wired into the head unit properly.

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

It would be helpful to know if you've removed all of the old GPS17 wiring or whether you've connected the new antenna to what's left of it.

The old gps17 was wired to the same with the exceptions of the orange cable that was switched power I think 

23 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Lastly, check for breaks in the sounder wiring. Perhaps you disturbed it when wiring in the new antenna. Could be as simple as checking the sounder cables are actually plugged/wired into the head unit properly.

When I disconnect the green/white NMEA 0183 wires from the new gps module the sounder works fine, so it seems unlikely that the wires for that are damaged or wrong 

8 minutes ago, JonC said:

When I disconnect the green/white NMEA 0183 wires from the new gps module the sounder works fine, so it seems unlikely that the wires for that are damaged or wrong 

And when the new GPS is connected are you getting a depth reading of zero, or no depth reading at all?

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

And when the new GPS is connected are you getting a depth reading of zero, or no depth reading at all?

I should have taken a picture of the screen. 
Im getting a message on the screen saying that the sonar is turned off

1 minute ago, JonC said:

I should have taken a picture of the screen. 
Im getting a message on the screen saying that the sonar is turned off

And is it actually turned off? I.e. is it just the software thinking the sounder is off, or is the power to the sounder genuinely cut off when the new GPS is connected?

7 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

And is it actually turned off? I.e. is it just the software thinking the sounder is off, or is the power to the sounder genuinely cut off when the new GPS is connected?

B5526D63-29A2-4924-8F48-B38778560D80.thumb.jpeg.e3a5714267e67a4320eb9f5cb7e4d9e9.jpegThis is the message 

4 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

I am out at the moment. I need to look at this later on the pc.

start by disconnecting the antenna ground in case you have a ground loop.

Thanks. I have tried running the black ground straight from the neg bus bar. It’s made no difference 

Just now, JonC said:

Thanks. I have tried running the black ground straight from the neg bus bar. It’s made no difference 

The new GPS instructions you posted states it a shield wire. Is this connected to ground? If so, disconnect it.

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

The new GPS instructions you posted states it a shield wire. Is this connected to ground? If so, disconnect it.

I have done that, I started off with it connected to ground but have removed it now though it doesn’t change things either way 

4 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Your sounder data out wire is violet. There is also a violet wire out of the old GPS17. Did you wire the sounder to whatever's left of the GPS17 wiring by mistake? 

There’s 2 options for wiring a sounded module, I don’t know know off hand if it’s a gsd20 gs21

5 hours ago, JonC said:

B5526D63-29A2-4924-8F48-B38778560D80.thumb.jpeg.e3a5714267e67a4320eb9f5cb7e4d9e9.jpegThis is the message 

So there's no data flowing between the sonar and the head unit according to that error message.

I wonder if the new GPS is overriding the data sentences from the sonar somehow. Do you have a network settings menu in the head unit to see what's going on?

Time to go back to the beginning.

Looks like your plotter has 4 ports, and you are connecting to port 4. There are really only 3 possibilities, It is connected incorrectly which would also stop data on a paired port, the baud rate is wrong which would confuse the plotter, or the data is a flavour of NMEA0183 that the plotter doesn't like too much.

1. Do you have it connected like so,

Ant Yellow to Plotter White

Ant Green To Plotter Green

Red to Supply +

Black to supply -

2. If you completely disconnect your wiring, does the sounder start working again ? I have just read back and the answer is yes.

3. Is the ant providing a correct position on the plotter when connected ? I would guess the answer to this is, no.

Edited by GPSguru

3 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Time to go back to the beginning.

Looks like your plotter has 4 ports, and you are connecting to port 4. There are really only 3 possibilities, It is connected incorrectly which would also stop data on a paired port, the baud rate is wrong which would confuse the plotter, or the data is a flavour of NMEA0183 that the plotter doesn't like too much.

1. Do you have it connected like so,

Ant Yellow to Plotter White

Ant Green To Plotter Green

Red to Supply +

Black to supply -

2. If you completely disconnect your wiring, does the sounder start working again ? I have just read back and the answer is yes.

3. Is the ant providing a correct position on the plotter when connected ? I would guess the answer to this is, no.

As far as I can remember from today 

1) it is connected as so

2) if I disconnect the gps module then the sonar works correctly 

3) The antenna has provided z as n accurate position but seems intermittent. 

I think I will go back tomorrow and start again from scratch, I think from looking at the diagram I have too many wires connected, I will try to work out who does what. It’s difficult to follow the cables as the instruments are flush mounted and cables run through voids. 

4 hours ago, Andy135 said:

So there's no data flowing between the sonar and the head unit according to that error message.

I wonder if the new GPS is overriding the data sentences from the sonar somehow. Do you have a network settings menu in the head unit to see what's going on?

I will look into the settings, but I know when I press the gps setup button it just time to check wiring. 

2 hours ago, JonC said:

As far as I can remember from today 

1) it is connected as so

2) if I disconnect the gps module then the sonar works correctly 

3) The antenna has provided z as n accurate position but seems intermittent. 

I think I will go back tomorrow and start again from scratch, I think from looking at the diagram I have too many wires connected, I will try to work out who does what. It’s difficult to follow the cables as the instruments are flush mounted and cables run through voids. 

Good plan to go back and check.

0183 is a 'flavour' of the industry standard RS232, which as a standard has some quite wild variations.

Does the antenna instructions give you the baud rate, which should be 4800 baud. The faster setting of 38,400 baud is generally only used for AIS info.

You can check the baud rate settings for the plotter in the system info screens.

It looks like you have 2 paired ports, this means that one RS232 / RS422 chip looks after ports 1 & 2 and another RS232 / RS422chip looks after ports 3 & 4. This is pretty much an industry standard way of implementing RS232 / RS422 multiple ports, as pairing them up saves on motherboard real estate. The only downside is, if one port has an issue, then it also affects the other port, which is what you are experiencing.

A big plus with nmea 0183 is that the standard calls for the port to be ‘opto isolated’, which means it is very difficult to damage the port by connecting incorrectly.

Edited by GPSguru

Just a couple of thoughts for you......

You say it shows as not connected, could this be because the original setup was powered by a red 12|V+ AND the Orange switched 12V+, whereas now it's only powered by the red?

Also on the original setup, you had 2 ports. Would you now need to join the blue from the DGPS Beacon into the data out line?

You also say it's knocking your sonar signal out. Electrically that looks to only be joined by the common data neg which the unit also uses as a ground. It also uses the shield as a ground too, so if you only used the shield to grount the new unit, does it still knock the sonar output?

4 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Just a couple of thoughts for you......

You say it shows as not connected, could this be because the original setup was powered by a red 12|V+ AND the Orange switched 12V+, whereas now it's only powered by the red?

Also on the original setup, you had 2 ports. Would you now need to join the blue from the DGPS Beacon into the data out line?

You also say it's knocking your sonar signal out. Electrically that looks to only be joined by the common data neg which the unit also uses as a ground. It also uses the shield as a ground too, so if you only used the shield to grount the new unit, does it still knock the sonar output?

I will try it without the common data connected, that’s something I haven’t tried yet. Thanks