GPS map2010c antenna issue

6 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Just a couple of thoughts for you......

You say it shows as not connected, could this be because the original setup was powered by a red 12|V+ AND the Orange switched 12V+, whereas now it's only powered by the red?

Also on the original setup, you had 2 ports. Would you now need to join the blue from the DGPS Beacon into the data out line?

You also say it's knocking your sonar signal out. Electrically that looks to only be joined by the common data neg which the unit also uses as a ground. It also uses the shield as a ground too, so if you only used the shield to grount the new unit, does it still knock the sonar output?

I will try it without the common data connected, that’s something I haven’t tried yet. Thanks 

54 minutes ago, JonC said:

We have a winner! @suzook12gets first prize, it was the nmea green cables that were causing the problem. 

Excellent news. The green is transmit data from the port. The ant firmware was probably just auto acknowledging which confused the port at the plotter.

The ant is now using just transmit Data (TXD) which makes it RS 422 complaint, rather than full 0183 compliant. This is quite common with a lot if marine devices.

7 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Just a couple of thoughts for you......

You say it shows as not connected, could this be because the original setup was powered by a red 12|V+ AND the Orange switched 12V+, whereas now it's only powered by the red?

Also on the original setup, you had 2 ports. Would you now need to join the blue from the DGPS Beacon into the data out line?

You also say it's knocking your sonar signal out. Electrically that looks to only be joined by the common data neg which the unit also uses as a ground. It also uses the shield as a ground too, so if you only used the shield to grount the new unit, does it still knock the sonar output?

1 minute ago, JonC said:

Yeah you’re right. I should never have doubted you

I really don't know where your negativity and miss trust of me comes from..... quite hurtful really. 
Anyway, my damaged feelings aside, I'm glad you got to the end of the problem task. 

@JonC , you need to make one final test if you havent done so already.

The update lat/long data frequency should depend upon your speed, so you need to get the boat up to 20knts or so to ascertain that your position info is correct. With Garmin, this function is built into the antenna firmware and I would guess that most other manufacturers use the same algorithm.

Edited by GPSguru

3 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

The update lat/long data frequency should depend upon you speed, so you need to get the boat up to 20knts or so to ascertain that your position info is correct. With Garmin, this function is built into the antenna firmware and I would guess that most other manufacturers use the same algorithm.

Bloody hell Ian, I was JUST about to type that message myself. 

#alwayslatetothetable

28 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

The update lat/long data frequency should depend upon your speed, so you need to get the boat up to 20knts or so to ascertain that your position info is correct. With Garmin, this function is built into the antenna firmware and I would guess that most other manufacturers use the same algorithm.

I’ll have to wait to get a run out for that then. Thanks again 

2 hours ago, JonC said:

I’ll have to wait to get a run out for that then. Thanks again 

Glad you have a fix Jon. A good example of the forum at its best. Let us know how the run out goes. 👍

Ok @GPSguru, another chance for you to produce and show your/you’re worth. 
The sonar issue is still occurring but randomly. I suspect the unit is on its way out as the screen has froze a few times causing me to do the mk1 reboot trick. 

Would fitting some sort of resistor or static suppression do anything to help do you think? 
Would a ferrite work? 

34 minutes ago, JonC said:

Your probably right, @GPSguruwont know. Hopefully the man from Cromwell’s county will be along with his sawn off sledgehammer to advise me. 

You want to hope Nelsons ghost didn't hear that, he'd have you tied to the mizzen and lashed with the cat of nine!!!!

That aside, i'm not entirely sure of the effect of resistors or ferrite rings on data packages, I'm guessing the issue is not RF related, but maybe a priority issue?

Sorry chap, can't really help ya on this one.