What’s your best non electrical boat purchase of this season?

• Saintly Fish changed the title to What’s your best non electrical boat purchase of this season?
15 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Mine has to be the Cobb BBQ. It’s revolutionised at anchor life. Or even in the marina!! 

41590868-BE01-4FB5-9EC1-2A8B2B4119DD.jpeg.3038ae843d4efcd3d2547162fa76b709.jpeg

Does it do bacon?

Might melt the tubes on mine.

Edited by mick

Must admit most of the things Ive bought for the new boat have been a bit disappointing due to poor quality control. Almost everything comes from China and though they look good in catalogs you often need to adjust or fix them to get them fitted. Four items fitted to my transom recently. Transom quick release steps, bracket that permanently fits the boat had bolts to big for the holes which needed re-drilling. The release mechanism adjuster adjusted itself loose and needed the four bolts that go through the transom to be removed and makeshift adjustments to fix the issue. The plastic caps on the ends of the step tubes fell off also!!!

Removable stainless burley pot was much the same in that the bolt holes needed re-drilling and the pot didn't fit the quick release bracket without a fair amount of bending and adjusting. Both jobs should of been a case of 4 bolt holes drilled and simply tighten the bolts but ended up being best part of a day.

By this time I was over the Chinese junk and after looking at some adjustable transducer brackets made in China I decided to buy some Italian stainless brackets which took six weeks to arrive in the post. On arrival I was tempted to simply toss them in the bin as they are flimsy nasty brackets worse than the cheap Chinese ones I had looked at here. A trip to the hardware for some aluminium brackets to try and beef them up has left the job looking bodged. Theres also no way these would handle being in the water underway at speed.

As for those cob ovens, I bought one about 15 yrs ago, at the time there was an option for a stainless steel model. Even the stainless rusted slightly in the salty environment and the enamel cook surface soon lost its coating and rusted. I found it to be to baulky for my small boats and even trying to find somewhere for it to fit on 4x4 camping trips. It wasn't just the cob oven but the charcoal I needed to carry and the time it took to get the coals hot and ready to cook with. However for use at home I loved mine but you do have to use natural charcoal or you will get a horrible fuel taste from those hard coals that have a mix of fuels in them that make the food taste like paraffin!!!

So the best thing would have to be the white plastic chopping board costing $5 for three, which I cut one to fit over holes in the console when fitting the new electronics!!!

Edited by JDP

Well @JDPi can’t say I’ve had an issue with lighting the Cobb stones or having a paragon taste to the food. It takes about 30 seconds to light, then like any bbq, leave for 15, the smoke stops and you’re free to cook. As for bulk, it all fits into a carry bag and can take a pack of 8 Cobb stones too.

Glad you’re happy with your chopping boards !! 

20 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

I suppose you can Gord. The Cobb stones once alight burn for 2 hours. You can also use brickets.  

Thanks. Not really the thing for a quick lunch stop! Can you use it for hot smoking?

The best thing I would have liked to have bought would be an inflatable to stick on snap davits on the bathing platform. Unfortunately, like a lot of things nowadays, they seem to be made from unobtanium! Still the teak oil has improved the team rail tops.

On 8/30/2021 at 3:49 PM, Saintly Fish said:

Well @JDPi can’t say I’ve had an issue with lighting the Cobb stones or having a paragon taste to the food. It takes about 30 seconds to light, then like any bbq, leave for 15, the smoke stops and you’re free to cook. As for bulk, it all fits into a carry bag and can take a pack of 8 Cobb stones too.

Glad you’re happy with your chopping boards !! 

I didn't have any problems lighting mine and at the time the only brickets were the small round hard coals which back then everyone complained about the fuel smell from. Mine was called the Cobb pro which had enamel sides as well as the cook plate, where yours looks to have far more stainless than the one I had (yours looking far better). 

29 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Daisy?

Shark…. Ripped a big hole in them….

Kev Mckie from Size Matters ended up in A&E and nearly lost a finger to a porgie…. Needed a lot of stiches after he went after one with no gloves (wasn’t thinking). 

£10 welding gloves and all safe 🙂 will use with bigger conger too