Project 15ft Boat

suzook12

I'm guessing that the guy knew how bad this was, and the mate he had supposedly sold it to knew before demanding his money back. Now because I was buying it to break, I never really looked at it, so this, is decidely my fault in that respect. But I now have a good use for it so alls well etc.

I am however, genuinely glad that I never moved it on, because some complete novice may have bought it and paid the ultimate price with their and their family/friends lives.

Jon, I honestly don't think what I am seeing here is from the original build company. The hull looks good quality work compared to the floor etc. Maybe bought as a kit? Who knows?

Anyway, I would rather torch it than let it go as is.

Jon, no, the steel is over the back of the transom as well, and under the splash well it has steel spreader plates on the lower bolts. I haven't stuck the drill bit in yet, but am under no illusion that I really need to, it will be rotten, of that I'm sure. Having nothing to tie the transom in is also disconcerting, and with a heavier engine, this may have turned out like the one you mentioned. Needless to say, if this ever sees service again, these things will be corrected........

Bit more done today, got a lot of grinding done, left it all just proud ready to finish off with sanding discs.....

Even the boy managed some cutting and grinding today as well.

No pics of progress as forgot camera! Duh....

Will be no progress now till Friday earliest, fishing tomorrow and the lad has got a rink hockey day Thurs.... Then again, day to myself.... Ya never know.

Once thats finished, will be getting the "bracing" out, full clean up inside, then start the transom.....

As promised got a bit more down today, and remembered the camera! Actually that's a lie, it was still in the truck from yesterday......

Right, so what was achieved? I would say 90% of the gring is done now for the floor. Also managed to work into 3 of the 4 corners that were a pain. Also managed to get the floor "bracing" out as well. More on that in a minute.....

IMG_1604

IMG_1607

IMG_1605

Now for the fun bit.......

IMG_1603

Note all the straight edges! This was part of the floor bracing, that I can only say was pretty much dropped in  and left, apart from about half a dozen tabs!!!

IMG_1602

Basically, cut it in half and pulled it out!!....... Grand job eh?

Anyway, the boy had managed to soak himself washing his crosser down from yesterday so that was it...... Better get some sanding discs and backing pads on order and get the hoover out.....

Then make a decision about how it's going to be on the rebuild.......... Got time yet, as got to lift the outboard yet and get all the steel off so we can tackle the transom....

On a good note, the intended aux for this, a Johnson 6hp that bought for not a lot off the bay, the lad had cleaned the carb out and put back together. The other night, we shot some fresh fuel in it (have new adaptor for it now) and after much playing, it started!! Yay.......

Will get round to servicing it a bit at a time, it may want crank seals yet, but will say once the fuel pump is repaired and plugs replaced.

Had a bit of spare time in between doing some bike bits, so fitted the new plugs to the to be aux engine....

Primed pulled a few times, nada.... Then realised hadn't put the switch in the "on" position.... Duh!!

Started 2nd pull, wont keep running tho, so suspect fuel pump. Just ordered a new one from amazon, sub £9!!!

Cheap enough to carry a spare or two

So, with that at the next stage, tackled the Rude 25, or is it a johnson? can't remember.... Anyway, put the right fuel plug on, primed her up, 3rd pull, burbling away like a good un!! Cool, so will look up a new impellor, change the gearbox oil and punt it out....

Was talking to my mate about lifting the boat off the trailer this evening.... Just happened to look up and fuck me, a lifting beam, so now looking at block n tackle, beam trolley etc in readiness. Also now looking for an engine hoist, lifting chains etc.....

all good stuff

🤣

1 hour ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

happy sanding mate

Almost finished one side....... Need a better mask! Looked like a yetti when I got out.... Chewed the backing pad up pretty sharp as well.....

Noticed still got some grinding to do along the back, and one small area is a bit this, so will need to build it back up with a few layers

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, suzook12 said:

I did manage to get the hoover out and have a clean out, the backing pad duly arrived......... Just need to re-enthuse myself, maybe getting some gas and setting my worksop heater up may do the trick....

Go for it Steve. Too cold for me .Geoff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

No progress as yet, was freezing cold in the winter months, and now have an Iveco Daily to finish before we can start back on the boat. Little bit of sanding to do still then the glassing will begin in the floor area. Once I can move the boat, will lift the engine off and lose all the steel capping and investigate the transom, which I imagine is shot..... Tomorrow should see my new welding helmet arrive so the ID can progress......

Will be going to see our man Geoff soon for some materials 👍

Thanks for the update.  Know what you mean about cold garages not being conducive to working in winter. Hopefully warming up over the next few months and grp work can continue.

I’m trying not to look at the wheel arches on the Campervan.......  if it wasn’t for the need to strip out all the units, R&R bed etc I’d be more enthusiastic about sorting those out.  Good luck with the Daily.

Don't know what it is, but ParcelFarce have got lost yet again and failed to deliver the new welding helmet. I had a bid on some at a local auction and their system crashed just as it got to that lot and despite being highest bidder, the lot got passed over. So that's another 3 days lost (out all day Monday with the lad on his crosser)..... Oddly, the delivery company everyone hated, my herpes, have delivered my parcels on time and intact!! Every parcel sent parcelfarce/RM has been misdirected/lost/delivered 3-4 days late. You would think that the only courier that has had a closed market since it's inception, could find a bloody house in a housing estate!!

8 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Don't know what it is, but ParcelFarce have got lost yet again and failed to deliver the new welding helmet. I had a bid on some at a local auction and their system crashed just as it got to that lot and despite being highest bidder, the lot got passed over. So that's another 3 days lost (out all day Monday with the lad on his crosser)..... Oddly, the delivery company everyone hated, my herpes, have delivered my parcels on time and intact!! Every parcel sent parcelfarce/RM has been misdirected/lost/delivered 3-4 days late. You would think that the only courier that has had a closed market since it's inception, could find a bloody house in a housing estate!!

Well, Tuffnells are running nearly 3 weeks late with a rod I'm waiting for. They had it, then they lost it, then they found it again, and now they've been "delivering" it for the last four days... I'm on first name terms with all their customer service agents now, who are running out of reasons why it's not been delivered and are sounding increasingly embarrassed... fuckwits.

32 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Well, Tuffnells are running nearly 3 weeks late with a rod I'm waiting for. They had it, then they lost it, then they found it again, and now they've been "delivering" it for the last four days... I'm on first name terms with all their customer service agents now, who are running out of reasons why it's not been delivered and are sounding increasingly embarrassed... fuckwits.

Yeah, but this has been every single parcel this year and most of last :classic_wacko: