any electronics buffs on here?

thejollysinker

I am trying to build a rod wrapping/drying machine and am absolutely hopeless at electronics (but good at making stuff...)

Basically I need a 'person' to design a wiring diagram and suggest products to buy so I can have a motor that turns with variable speeds (with reverse) but to also be able to set at a constant rpm for drying resin (eg 18rpm).

In my mind it would be foot operated for wrapping but then be able to be set at a certain rpm for drying..... impossible?

If anyone here can help I'm quite happy to pay for a design service with cash, beer tokens etc etc 😬

I've currently got two Conoflex Nemesis Plus wrapped and ready for resin and I've now started an old Daiwa Whisker Kevlar 12-30 boat rod and a Zziplex Hustler to do plus two more Conoflex Rods that need a re-build but am being held back because of the lack of a wiring diagram for such a setup.

If nobody can help maybe a suggestion of where I might find a design service?

Thanks,

Gary

10 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

@Odyssey is into that I believe 

35 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

I am trying to build a rod wrapping/drying machine and am absolutely hopeless at electronics (but good at making stuff...)

Basically I need a 'person' to design a wiring diagram and suggest products to buy so I can have a motor that turns with variable speeds (with reverse) but to also be able to set at a constant rpm for drying resin (eg 18rpm).

In my mind it would be foot operated for wrapping but then be able to be set at a certain rpm for drying..... impossible?

If anyone here can help I'm quite happy to pay for a design service with cash, beer tokens etc etc 😬

I've currently got two Conoflex Nemesis Plus wrapped and ready for resin and I've now started an old Daiwa Whisker Kevlar 12-30 boat rod and a Zziplex Hustler to do plus two more Conoflex Rods that need a re-build but am being held back because of the lack of a wiring diagram for such a setup.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary, would it not just be easier to send them off and get a pro to rebuild them for you?

I can give you the email of a particularly good rod builder! 
@Odyssey gets his rods made as apposed to doing it himself I believe . 

Can be done as can be bought, unless you doin it for a living it won't be viable tho.

Getting one designed will make the retail prices of £500++ look cheap.

By far the easist option would be to use a small ac motor and run it off of an inverter, you will undoubtedly need a redustion gearbox too

Guessing you'd need a rheostat to control the speed of the motor down to 18rpm (or suitable gearing to achieve the same), and a foot switch & regular switch wired in parallel, so that both switches can activate the motor.

A 12v set up should be relatively cheap and easy to build. Not a wiring diagram but the basics would be as follows:

Battery

Cable to

Rheostat

Cables to

Foot switch and finger switch in parallel

Cables to

Motor

Cable back to battery.

5 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

Thanks,

Gary

Just like Luke on here, it is also what I used to do for a living, when I was on the tools. I made one about 20 years ago to control a washing machine motor that was powering my old Myford ML4 treadle lathe.

In reality these days it is quite simple, you just need a 12V speed controller and a 12V motor. I would be inclined to use a higher speed motor and gear it down  ( belt drive, big pullet , little pulley) to provide ample torque, however, it will only take a small motor to turn a rod blank.

Take your choice of controllers, I would go for one of about 5 - 10 amp

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/12v-Speed-Controller/36802/bn_7023478509

I would love to help Gary, but these days I am very time limited, so cannot commit, but always happy to help on the phone or email.

16 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Gary, would it not just be easier to send them off and get a pro to rebuild them for you?

I can give you the email of a particularly good rod builder! 
@Odyssey gets his rods made as apposed to doing it himself I believe . 

I do a pretty good job of them myself with a hand wrapper I made years ago. It's a hobby I really enjoy and would just like to have a motorised version as I have arthritis in my Thumbs which is a pain, literally. Thanks anyway 🙂

11 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Just like Luke on here, it is also what I used to do for a living, when I was on the tools. I made one about 20 years ago to control a washing machine motor that was powering my old Myford ML4 treadle lathe.

In reality these days it is quite simple, you just need a 12V speed controller and a 12V motor. I would be inclined to use a higher speed motor and gear it down  ( belt drive, big pullet , little pulley) to provide ample torque, however, it will only take a small motor to turn a rod blank.

Take your choice of controllers, I would go for one of about 5 - 10 amp

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/12v-Speed-Controller/36802/bn_7023478509

I would love to help Gary, but these days I am very time limited, so cannot commit, but always happy to help on the phone or email.

Thanks Ian, I know what you mean about having time, seems the older we get the more there is to do. 

I'll work it out one way or another 😊

12 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Guessing you'd need a rheostat to control the speed of the motor down to 18rpm (or suitable gearing to achieve the same), and a foot switch & regular switch wired in parallel, so that both switches can activate the motor.

A 12v set up should be relatively cheap and easy to build. Not a wiring diagram but the basics would be as follows:

Battery

Cable to

Rheostat

Cables to

Foot switch and finger switch in parallel

Cables to

Motor

Cable back to battery.

Cobbling it all together is the difficult bit.... Maybe I'll do some studying, might learn something new, 🤞😊

8 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

I do a pretty good job of them myself with a hand wrapper I made years ago. It's a hobby I really enjoy and would just like to have a motorised version as I have arthritis in my Thumbs which is a pain, literally. Thanks anyway 🙂

That's fair enough then👍🏻

2 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

Cobbling it all together is the difficult bit.... Maybe I'll do some studying, might learn something new, 🤞😊

Cobbling it together will be easy with a motor controller. Just 2 wires for 12v power in, and 2 wires out to the motor.

You should be able to put something together for £25 - £40.

all you need is a 12v power unit (PSU), motor controller , and motor.

Then some method of gearing the motor down by at least 10:1

17 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Then some method of gearing the motor down by at least 10:1

Thinking sideways about this, I see no reason why Lego gears wouldn't work as a reduction gearbox.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-50pc-Technic-gear-axle/dp/B00UCR3G1Q

In fact, find a cheap/used Lego motor, battery pack and switches, and you have your rod turner ready to click together.

On 9/27/2021 at 2:37 PM, Andy135 said:

Thinking sideways about this, I see no reason why Lego gears wouldn't work as a reduction gearbox.

I like your thinking... you haven't grown up yet have you 🤣

I was having a chat with a colleague at work today and he knows a guy who might be able to help me so fingers crossed for that 🤞

I'll keep you all updated as and when and thanks for all the suggestions so far 🙂