Recommend me a hook length.

11 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

But something bit me off so I need a strong hook length. 

How many times have you been bitten off in your fishing career ?

I have been 'bitten off' a few times over the wrecks and most times that would be an unexpected Ling, once 'bitten off' we beefed up the tackle and went on to catch Ling !

I use 50lb mamoi diamond as my heavy leader from the shore and boat. This 160kg striped marlin was caught and released using that same line and an 8/0 mustad demon circle hook. It will get snipped through by sharks if they swallow a bait but most of the time that's my intension, if not I use a short wire. 

That line you are using looks extremely thick compared to the skinny light gauge hook, any reason for using such a heavy trace with a hook that looks like it would straighten on any decent fish and a well set reel drag.

IMG_1190.thumb.JPG.fb406edb8dbf3900b155333650c72bc2.JPG

6 hours ago, JDP said:

any reason for using such a heavy trace with a hook that looks like it would straighten on any decent fish

The hook is a 6/0 kamasan extra If I recall correctly, the reason for the thicker line is because the 40lb amnesia I was originally using got bitten off. 

1 minute ago, GPSguru said:

12, that is way more than I have had in over 50 years of fishing !

Well what can I say? I got bitten off 4 times in 6 hours about 8 years ago whilst cod fishing on a charter boat out of quay haven near lymington. And snapped two/2 kamasan extra hooks. 

5 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well what can I say? I got bitten off 4 times in 6 hours about 8 years ago whilst cod fishing on a charter boat out of quay haven near lymington. And snapped two/2 kamasan extra hooks. 

That actually raises many more questions than answers 😉

5 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Maybe conger were getting the bait deep hooked, which would snip you off pretty easy. You would need a stronger hook on a decent conger too. I had numerous spots in the solent that I did well for congers (from the IOW side). A soft rod or perhaps using mono and even strong tides might have made bite detection difficult and if unnoticed your hook could soon be down deep in the mouth so that the mono is up against those raspy teeth.

Edited by JDP

We find Asso leader material 65/80 lb great for traces, tough and supple.  Ling can be b@stards for trashing traces, especially the heavy braid on assist hooks, which I now cover completely.  They spin like a conger and the teeth go through line like a saw

8 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Seeing as Ling are from the Cod family, are their teeth similar in size and sharpness? 

I believe the teeth of the ling are much bigger and sharper from memory, only caught 1 ling and was a few year ago now

Seems a bit odd to be indicating ling for the solent. Personally never had a ling in the solent and that was from fishing in my own boat, working on a charter for many years as well as knowing all the commercial lads from Yarmouth back when I lived there. Do people now catch ling in the solent ? I don't mean rockling as there are plenty of those and they certainly wouldn't be chewing through heavy mono!!!

8 hours ago, JDP said:

Seems a bit odd to be indicating ling for the solent. Personally never had a ling in the solent and that was from fishing in my own boat, working on a charter for many years as well as knowing all the commercial lads from Yarmouth back when I lived there. Do people now catch ling in the solent ? I don't mean rockling as there are plenty of those and they certainly wouldn't be chewing through heavy mono!!!

I don't think anybody did say ling are in the Solent Jon. You've not read it properly mate. 
Asking about lings teeth was more about comparing them to cods teeth. 

41 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I don't think anybody did say ling are in the Solent Jon. You've not read it properly mate. 
Asking about lings teeth was more about comparing them to cods teeth. 

Just because fish aren’t caught doesn’t mean they aren’t present. One of our local commercial boats sells through Facebook, he always has sole and gurnard, I don’t remember ever catching sole locally and gurnards are a rare catch