Central heating pump problem….

Odyssey

Calling all heating engineers! 

My central heating pump keeps running and doesn’t switch off. Even after the heating and hot water time clocks have shut the boiler off for the night. 

Any suggestions on what may cause this? Is there an easy fix or do I get heating engineer in to sort it out? 

@jonnyswamp is this something you can help with?  😬

@Odysseydo you have a combi boiler or a "traditional" system? 
Modern boiler have a pump over run stat on the pcb which could be playing up or, if you have an "S" plan system (2 control valves, one for heat one for HW) one of them may have the switch live switch stuck open. Pumps don't have permanent lives, they are all switch controlled.   

6 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

@Odysseydo you have a combi boiler or a "traditional" system? 
Modern boiler have a pump over run stat on the pcb which could be playing up or, if you have an "S" plan system (2 control valves, one for heat one for HW) one of them may have the switch live switch stuck open. Pumps don't have permanent lives, they are all switch controlled.   

Traditional system, boiler with hot water tank. Pump is in cupboard with tank. 

Sounds like I need a pro to check PCB then and replace by sounds of it 😞 

5 minutes ago, JDP said:

Don't you have trees and bushland around your home you can burn like we do!!!....Really though are you needing heating already, Im still hoping to see a few summer catch reports on here.

It was 1 deg outside at 8am this morning. 

25 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Intermittent pump over run stat problem.  

Hopefully if it’s intermittent it don’t come back for a few years more then 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Odyssey

5 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

@Odyssey as a side thought, do you have or have you seen an anti frost stat anywhere? This could also throw a live to the boiler once temps outside drop below 5deg C. 

I need to get to the boiler house….. I need to climb over an old floor and clear out my timber store but that’s on my to-do list after work as I was wondering if there was something like that as there was a ground frost here last night and it’s still cold now 

Thanks for the tips chaps, much appreciated! 

@JonC see, thee guys can be nice 🙂 

• 1 month later...

Yep….. 

Boiler is in a boiler house that I used as store for spare DIY materials, the frodt sensor had been knocked so anything less than 10deg meant it kept the pump running…

3 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Yep….. 

Boiler is in a boiler house that I used as store for spare DIY materials, the frodt sensor had been knocked so anything less than 10deg meant it kept the pump running…

Ok good. 
no need to thank! 👍🏻