How much is too much wind?

Andy135

Thinking of a shore session when the wind speed is too high/uncomfortable for the boat. But how much is too much? The mark I have in mind (Hurst shingle bank) would/should fish well with an onshore blow but not sure whether it'd be fishable or not with 13-15mph winds.

What's the limit for your marks?

3 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Thinking of a shore session when the wind speed is too high/uncomfortable for the boat. But how much is too much? The mark I have in mind (Hurst shingle bank) would/should fish well with an onshore blow but not sure whether it'd be fishable or not with 13-15mph winds.

I've fished Eastney beach in a 60mph southerly before. Not easy or comfortable but it was doable. My Ian golds igloo didn't like it though as it folded in on itself within 5 minutes of being set up. Leaving me to hide behind a rapidly piled up bank of shingle! 
Not sure I'd want to do it again, especially not at Hurst. But 13-15mph should be fine!!

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Eastney beach in a 60mph gale?! Surprised your leads didn't sail back past your head on the cast! Did you catch anything?

Not much, whiting and rockling was about it. But to be fair I was pretty miserable so wasn't really trying too hard, it was an ISACS match though so had to tough it out. 

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

For me that 10-15 would be perfect, where 15-25 becomes difficult to works with. I don't like calm windless conditions as these mostly end in a quite beach session for me. Of course when I lived on the IOW it didn't really matter as you could simply do a short drive to the side of the island which was protected. Offshore winds are a godsend for me when trying to lob big baits out.

36 minutes ago, JDP said:

when I lived on the IOW it didn't really matter as you could simply do a short drive to the side of the island which was protected. 

I grew up on "the island" - spent my youth fishing Sandown pier, Yarmouth pier and pulling flounder out the medina at the cement mills, rowing club, or seaclose. 

did a fair bit off East cowes sea front, fort vic, and alum bay too - yes loads of options to escape the wind on an island!

10 hours ago, mike farrants said:

I grew up on "the island" - spent my youth fishing Sandown pier, Yarmouth pier and pulling flounder out the medina at the cement mills, rowing club, or seaclose. 

did a fair bit off East cowes sea front, fort vic, and alum bay too - yes loads of options to escape the wind on an island!

How Manu years ago ? I was there about 25yrs and mostly fished the west side from shore and kept a boat at Yarmouth. I also fished out of Bembridge and still fish with some of my old shark fishing buddies from there.

4 hours ago, JDP said:

How Manu years ago ? I was there about 25yrs and mostly fished the west side from shore and kept a boat at Yarmouth. I also fished out of Bembridge and still fish with some of my old shark fishing buddies from there.

Are you starting to think that @mike farrantsis your love child? Timeline seems right. 

8 hours ago, JDP said:

Born on the IOW in 1977, moved off to uni in 1996 - went to medina high school, and competed in the IOW angling club quite a bit. 

Remember Scotties tackle shop? - pyle street i think...

rest of my family are still there!

3 hours ago, mike farrants said:

Born on the IOW in 1977, moved off to uni in 1996 - went to medina high school, and competed in the IOW angling club quite a bit. 

Remember Scotties tackle shop? - pyle street i think...

rest of my family are still there!

Used to walk down to Scotties from school in my lunch break (Carisbrooke High). I did boat building and fibreglassing at Tafe with a few Mednia high lads. I fished the West wight Angling club for many years, my mum was on the committee for the club many moons ago!!!!

All my family are still there too, frigin heaps of them!!!!

26 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

love child?????

and i thought this site was about fishing for fish not perverts united. i don't know what the world is

cumming 2

There are just a few perverts, they tend to live around densely populated cities, certainly not on the IOW!!!!

1 hour ago, JDP said:

Used to walk down to Scotties from school in my lunch break (Carisbrooke High). I did boat building and fibreglassing at Tafe with a few Mednia high lads. I fished the West wight Angling club for many years, my mum was on the committee for the club many moons ago!!!!

All my family are still there too, frigin heaps of them!!!!

i bet there is a connection then somewhere - i went to C of E middle, not far from carisbrooke high!