Bodging up a console.

I need to dress a cut out in the overhead panel in my shed. The old plotter I’m removing (The one that outsmarted  @GPSguru)and where it’s an old unit the hole is about an inch bigger left to right than the new plotter. I couldn’t afford to go 12” to cover it. 
Im looking for ideas of what to use to frame the new thing . Has anyone done this or seen it done in a good way? 

14 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Have at look at kingspan board. 

Hooked and Messy uses it to make all sorts of stuff. You could prob make a bezel out of that you Mount on dash to cover the old hole 

Is that kingspan as in celotex? 

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

Do you mean King Starboard? Kingspan is an insulation board like Celotex.

Yeah that’s the stuff…. king S…. It was close… 🤣🤣🤣

Not a "goo" way, but just make a fibreglass adaptor plate to cover the old hole and give a nice even flat surround all round the plotter. You can do this in the same colour as the existing area (colour match probably not perfect) or a contrast - black or maybe carbon fibre. If you don't like the colour it is easy to get it Wrapped. If you use a second frame inside (if you have access) you can clamp the two frames together using just the instrument fixings, or if only access from the outside glue (bond) the frame on and fix as normal. If you decide to go down this route and struggle to get the FG work done I can probably help. Geoff.🙂

5 hours ago, JonC said:

I need to dress a cut out in the overhead panel in my shed. The old plotter I’m removing (The one that outsmarted  @GPSguru)and where it’s an old unit the hole is about an inch bigger left to right than the new plotter. I couldn’t afford to go 12” to cover it. 
Im looking for ideas of what to use to frame the new thing . Has anyone done this or seen it done in a goo way? 

Can you make a facia plate to cover up out of ally or maybe some of that carbon fibre trim panel stuff?

9 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

@JonC, I know a guy who can build a box for a plotter. He's better than most of the plasterers you know. I'm happy to share his number with you??

Are you still picking the splinters out of your hands? 
I would imagine your first fix chippy is fully booked up with the reputation he has locally.

Not too sure, but it looks  like the roof is not flush, but has ribs moulded in and I would guess that any fixings would be confined to fitting in the ribbed area. If this is the case I do not understand how you can have flush fitting instruments. There may of course be no ribs and I am looking at shadows and if this is the case I think the WH roof must be double skinned as no wiring or connections are visible. As there are other instruments (I presume that your boat is similar) the idea of a contrasting colour for any framework would be a no-no. Perhaps the best idea would be to make the new hole the correct size and add a strip/strips to cover the gap/gaps. This can be acheived by bonding in a stip/strips behind the opening and then bonding on a filler strip/strips to finish flush with the surrounding roof. The problem may be the matter of colour matching, but if a satisfactory match is not possible, just get a 2 pack aerosol paint spray made up and spray the small area/areas as required. If you decide to go down that route let me know what size strips you need and I will cut and send them to you. Idealy the backing strips should each have about 12-15mm underlap on one side and on each end to ensure a good bond. I hope that makes sense. Geoff.