Solo on the Solent.

Saintly Fish

27 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Yep, definite hint of the 80's and 90's about that hoodie. When I first saw that photo I thought it was a shell-suit top.

And what's wrong with that?? 
Put it together with a pot noodle and we are well away!  

love it - bang on trend now!

id wear it (not on the boat it has green in it and i wouldn't want it getting ruined)

half zip, hood, pouch pocket, what's not to like?

looks like the stripes go round the arms too - awesome-  can we get some OO ones - in light and dark blue? 

11 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

love it - bang on trend now!

id wear it (not on the boat it has green in it and i wouldn't want it getting ruined)

half zip, hood, pouch pocket, what's not to like?

looks like the stripes go round the arms too - awesome-  can we get some OO ones - in light and dark blue? 

button drugstore heaven GIF by Houses

On 12/15/2021 at 8:11 AM, Odyssey said:

You want to cast closer to the rode as the tide runs fastest, then almost 90deg to boat at slack water 

Luke, it doesn't really matter where you cast, it's the bow of line you pay out that counts. I have seen (and done myself) people cast downtide and slightly away from the boat with great success

Just now, suzook12 said:

Luke, it doesn't really matter where you cast, it's the bow of line you pay out that counts. I have seen (and done myself) people cast downtide and slightly away from the boat with great success

Yeah, I’ve always believed it’s about the disturbance zone. I think Luke is talking about successfully settling the weight in a strong rip though, it makes sense to bang it forward so when rock meets bottom it’s not too far down tide back in the disturbance. 

6 minutes ago, JonC said:

Yeah, I’ve always believed it’s about the disturbance zone. I think Luke is talking about successfully settling the weight in a strong rip though, it makes sense to bang it forward so when rock meets bottom it’s not too far down tide back in the disturbance. 

That was the point tho Jon, it's the bow of line that sets the lead, so as long as you feed enough line out, you can effectively cast it anywhere at a suitable angle.

Generally on uptide, we use 25-35lb mono straight through, no leader. Mostly because we're not trying to bang it into the horizon as you would on the beach, although we often use 10oz+ leads

4 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

That was the point tho Jon, it's the bow of line that sets the lead, so as long as you feed enough line out, you can effectively cast it anywhere at a suitable angle.

Generally on uptide, we use 25-35lb mono straight through, no leader. Mostly because we're not trying to bang it into the horizon as you would on the beach, although we often use 10oz+ leads

I’ve not used a leader for years, they are a weak link even with a Bimini hitch . Also the knot is a weed magnet which is a nuisance when fighting a big pin whiting. This is what is putting me off braid. 

10 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Sounds like we use very similar methods 30lb mono for me no leader, 8oz fixed wire leads,  I like a big bait out on the uptider usually 4-6 squid and a large chunk of cuttle if Cod fishing and the other usually with a live bait. 

I space my casts to stop the tangles, one up towards the anchor, the other across the tide. Bow of line ends up looking like I'm downtiding and often is past my downtider. 

1 hour ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

Sounds like we use very similar methods 30lb mono for me no leader, 8oz fixed wire leads,  I like a big bait out on the uptider usually 4-6 squid and a large chunk of cuttle if Cod fishing and the other usually with a live bait. 

I space my casts to stop the tangles, one up towards the anchor, the other across the tide. Bow of line ends up looking like I'm downtiding and often is past my downtider. 

I'm going to have to come out with you so you can show me the knack