New wave of covid?

JonC

I was just about to start a post on this. Omicron looks a bit meaner than the others. I see Boris has made masks mandatory next week. Wonder if that will really be enough to stop it taking hold in the UK?

3 minutes ago, JonC said:

I’m hankering down

Oh, and I think you mean "hunkering" rather than "hankering"...

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/hankering

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/hunker-down?q=hunkering

#littlegingergrammarnazistrikesagain

2 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Oh, and I think you mean "hunkering" rather than "hankering"...

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/hankering

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/hunker-down?q=hunkering

#littlegingergrammarnazistrikesagain

Thanks Andy 

8 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I was just about to start a post on this. Omicron looks a bit meaner than the others. I see Boris has made masks mandatory next week. Wonder if that will really be enough to stop it taking hold in the UK?

They have probably invented it to convince more people to wear masks that they have shares in the companies that are supplying them. 

7 minutes ago, mick said:

Don`t think the Chinese allow foreigners to invest in their companys.😏

Neither should we, but sadly you won't get Jack back into the box. What we have allowed to happen to our industry is absurd. Geoff.

There is a strong possibility that this new mutation of the virus has been vastly overstated by the press. It will be at least a month before the scientific boffins can get their heads around its actual and factual capabilities.

I get peed off with 'xmas is cancelled, millions dead, the vaccines won't work, blah,blah, blah, when there is no factual evidence to support any of those statements. All it does is cause mass hysteria.

However, banning travel to buy time is probably a wise move. With regard to face coverings, I have to wear anyway, so no change for me.

face coverings do nothing unless you wear a proper surgeons mask that cost £5 each and you change it every 4 hours, cant see anyone doing that eh? every time a new variant pops up they panic stop this and that then put us back to square one again! 

3 hours ago, DINOBOY said:

face coverings do nothing unless you wear a proper surgeons mask that cost £5 each and you change it every 4 hours, cant see anyone doing that eh? every time a new variant pops up they panic stop this and that then put us back to square one again! 

As some of you have maybe suspected for a while I’m no expert in masks or the transmission of airborne viruses but my simple observation was that as soon as people started wearing masks the bulk of people stopped using any social distancing regime, as if the crappie dust mask they had screwed up in their pocket that they had been using for 4 months would protect them from the virus. 

7 hours ago, GPSguru said:

There is a strong possibility that this new mutation of the virus has been vastly overstated by the press. It will be at least a month before the scientific boffins can get their heads around its actual and factual capabilities.

I get peed off with 'xmas is cancelled, millions dead, the vaccines won't work, blah,blah, blah, when there is no factual evidence to support any of those statements. All it does is cause mass hysteria.

However, banning travel to buy time is probably a wise move. With regard to face coverings, I have to wear anyway, so no change for me.

Totally agree…. Mad hysteria takes off fuelled by the press…. 

It has mutations yes… but the vaccine was never meant to make you immune to COVID, instead is there to reduce the severity of the symptoms so that you don’t fall dangerously ill and end up in hospital. 

This coupled with treatments and drugs that are now available hopefully means that the NHS is better prepared.

Ive said all along, don’t just look at the case rate, look at the case rate, with the age of the people getting it and the impact on the NHS. It’s all about context with statistics else you have no reference point…. But hey that don’t make a good story in the Sunday papers….

#CynicalOldGit 

Edited by Odyssey

I see they now think community transmission of Omicron has occurred in Scotland. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59457332.

Also that they're due to decide on whether to expand boosters & cut the time between shots.

Interesting times in the run up to Christmas. Media hyping up the facts? Yes, but in this case it's probably no bad thing if it encourages people to follow the rules and behave sensibly. I'm just off to the supermarket to panic buy more loo roll...

You only really need to stock uo with loo rolls if you have stocked up with pot noodles - I expect there is likey to be a loo roll supply  problem in the Blackwater area. Geoff.😉

Edited by Geoff
silly spelling

Well, how's this for frustrating... I was due for my 6 month booster on Boxing Day. Went online to book one now that they have shortened the waiting time to 3 months, and the earliest slot I could get was..... 7th Jan. 🤦‍♂️

Still, all booked and better than no booster at all.

4 hours ago, Geoff said:

Yoy only really need to stock uo with loo rolls if you have stocked up with pot noodles - I expect there is likey to be a loo roll supply  problem in the Blackwater area. Geoff.😉

I’m surprised at ‘yoy’ for lowering the tone of this matter. 

I just heard on the wireless that whilst the wearing of face masks is now mandatory in some areas, shops public transport etc there is no requirement to wear masks in pubs.

How the fuck does that work? 

9 minutes ago, JonC said:

I just heard on the wireless that whilst the wearing of face masks is now mandatory in some areas, shops public transport etc there is no requirement to wear masks in pubs.

How the fuck does that work? 

Well, they get soggy and fall off .

Just tested positive…. (On those lateral flow kits) 

9 days of isolation to go…. Cod fishing and weather will be perfect next week and this weekend…

It’s weird as no cough, no loss of taste or smell just a blazing fever of 40deg…. Oh and everything hurts 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Off to get PCR later in the vain hope it’s not covid 

Edited by Odyssey