Calling all diesel fighters!

1 hour ago, suzook12 said:

Yup, not too many variations tho to be fair

If you want to be really posh, get Pirtek or HEL to make you some nice shiney braided hoses all round with compression fittings on to the banjos.....

I think that’s the way forward. We have a place called Advanced fluid solutions nearby, they are similar to pirtek . 

8 hours ago, JonC said:

I think that’s the way forward. We have a place called Advanced fluid solutions nearby, they are similar to pirtek . 

When I see ali washers on banjo fittings, I always think 'cheap'. Replace them all with copper is part of the way forward.

You won't have a holed pipe, but there are things to look for. Look closely at all the pipes for any sign of degradation in the way of minor cracks etc, especially at termination point and any bend in the pipe. This is an early indicator that the pipe has perished, and it often a point that will draw air though the perished casing.

Also look at all the connections in the system, and if any look at all 'iffy' then re-terminate.

Also, look carefully at the primer pump, especially if it is the spindle type, if it is the button diaphragm type then there should not be an issue. If it is the spindle pump (i.e. pushrod pump) then re-prime the system and close the spindle under pressure, also pack a little grease at the top of the spindle to help the seal.

1 minute ago, JDP said:

A little off topic Jon but I’ll let it go. 
I’ve not heard of a shortage but when I went to buy a couple of cans the other day they were out of stock. I thought nothing of it. 
My truck only uses a little bit, it has a 25 litre tank so I just buy it in 10 or 20 litre tubs, though it is on tap at some garages. If my truck runs low it shuts down, I suppose all engines will do the same. That will cause havoc if it happens.

12 minutes ago, JonC said:

A little off topic Jon but I’ll let it go. 
I’ve not heard of a shortage but when I went to buy a couple of cans the other day they were out of stock. I thought nothing of it. 
My truck only uses a little bit, it has a 25 litre tank so I just buy it in 10 or 20 litre tubs, though it is on tap at some garages. If my truck runs low it shuts down, I suppose all engines will do the same. That will cause havoc if it happens.

Sounds like the chinese are taking the piss.......

14 hours ago, JonC said:

If my truck runs low it shuts down, I suppose all engines will do the same. That will cause havoc if it happens.

Not all of them do that. Some just issue an engine management emissions warning (MIL - Malfunction Indicator Light), some issue the warning and go into limp mode.

My Volvo doesn't use adblue (some do, V40, V50 etc), it just pumps almost neat diesel into the particle filter and then sets fire to it. You need to then drive it for at least 20mins to complete the process. I can see the fuel consumption sky rocket when it does that.

Edited by GPSguru

This is the hose that runs between the the filter and pump. I’ve just got a bunch of copper washers to swap all the existing ones out with. If that doesn’t help I’ll get a new hose made up

B4C6E86D-2D17-4C3D-B11F-668E985B03A3.jpeg

Is there a reason why VW/Arvor used a combination of steel and flexi pipework? Just thinking that there are 4 unions on that run, when it would be easy for you to get a single run of flexi made up with just 2 unions, and therefore 50% less chance of leaks in future.

5 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Is there a reason why VW/Arvor used a combination of steel and flexi pipework? Just thinking that there are 4 unions on that run, when it would be easy for you to get a single run of flexi made up with just 2 unions, and therefore 50% less chance of leaks in future.

Not sure, it’s just normal I guess when putting a car engine in a boat. 
I asked in the pipe place where I went today about making one up and the guy did seem to want to make it sound over complicated, I thought it would be simple enough. 

50 minutes ago, JonC said:

Not sure, it’s just normal I guess when putting a car engine in a boat. 
I asked in the pipe place where I went today about making one up and the guy did seem to want to make it sound over complicated, I thought it would be simple enough. 

I'm guessing the flexi section acts as a vibration damper to avoid a full steel line from cracking if one end is attached to the engine and the other isn't. But with a full flexi you won't have that need/issue and should work just fine.

9 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I'm guessing the flexi section acts as a vibration damper to avoid a full steel line from cracking if one end is attached to the engine and the other isn't. But with a full flexi you won't have that need/issue and should work just fine.

I don’t recon that there was any such a plan, the engines have various applications and the ecu box that the filter bolts to is in different places in some models. 

17 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Nope, there's 2 banjos and 2 crimped joins, no unions at all, not even a TGWU!!!

As you've already sussed, it's to allow for engine movement, they can rock quite a bit when starting/stopping/revving and then theres vibration....

Hard pipe is considerably cheaper, though you would hardly think it if you had to buy it from VW.

Even braided can fail, it's only a rubber type tube with a braided overwrap, just looks posh and swanky until it starts chewing away at your fibreglass.... Hence why suppliers like HEL give it a hard wearing plastic sleeve, plus it means they can sell in different colours....

Today I have replaced the main fuel filter and replaced all the copper washers in the fuel system. The fury filter has a water sensor at the bottom of it. When I fitted the new filter I put a smidge of oil on the seals and did the plastic sensor up as tight as I could without weapons. It’s fairly delicate so I didn’t want to fuck it. 
17A0AAB0-24B1-4EB5-BCEB-6773EFF6FB13.png.29ecf8e192d6713567cbf4ff3b8aacca.pngThere is a drain off pipe on the plastic unit, I noticed this wax slowly dripping, so maybe that’s by my issue. I’ve not noticed the old one dripping but the filter was only half full. This is the only way out for the fuel to run. 
As a temporary fix I have put a bit of hose on it with an m8 screw in it clipped to try to stop the leak. 
Todays pot noodle was Bbq pulled pork. 3329809A-1D2C-4EB4-89E9-EA04F25795A0.thumb.jpeg.f4d1cf3586c83ea57fc92e6ce629a5b9.jpeg

C2598D9B-1141-407A-9E83-E6D026E2B021.jpeg

F38E133F-A8AB-4727-9B57-C9F7454BBB91.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Do they do a pulled pork without the bbq sauce? Or is the bbq sauce in the little sachet ??

I think the sachet was bbq sauce, how bbqish it would taste without the sachet is anyones guess. 

5 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well in the interest of the forum, could you try one without the sachet, then report back?

I think all my BBQ pulled pork pot noodles are stored in the locker on my boat. I will pop down in the morning and have a look. 

On 12/7/2021 at 12:53 PM, JonC said:

This is the hose that runs between the the filter and pump. I’ve just got a bunch of copper washers to swap all the existing ones out with. If that doesn’t help I’ll get a new hose made up

B4C6E86D-2D17-4C3D-B11F-668E985B03A3.jpeg

An easier option would be to fit new 10mm hose barb banjo's (that pipe looks 10mm ish ID) and then use 10mm fuel hose.

I have just removed some similar pipework from the Jeep, not that there was anything wrong with it, just unwieldy and difficult to work with.