Recommend an uptide rod.

So, now I've got the rod sorted, read the "Bob Cox" book, I need help with the reel. 
Ive never really done casting with a multi, so what does the little numbered dial on the side do? 
If I'm casting, do I have it set higher or lower?? 

8 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

So, now I've got the rod sorted, read the "Bob Cox" book, I need help with the reel. 
Ive never really done casting with a multi, so what does the little numbered dial on the side do? 

Don’t over think it much . Turn the end float so it allows about 0.5mm, start casting slow and easy. You see how I cast, just a gentle semi lob on. No need for distance, you can always move the boat. 

Pretty much what jonc says, apart from the last bit

Start with very small lobs, keeping your thumb brushing against the spool and gradually go a bit further each time until you're comfortable with the distance

30/40/yds is plenty

If you're using a levelwind, over run shouldn't be much of an issue

I use a pair of slosh 30's and I've got to know the fuzzing sound a split second before the kinky affro shows up and put a small amount of pressure (next to nothing really) on the spool to stop it

Would rather have a shorter cast, than a bird/snap off

8 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well that's not what your guru says! 

Ok so your not going to move the boat, but start casting small. As swampy said after a while you will learn by the sound of your reel when to put the thumb on, then build from there with range. 

9 minutes ago, JonC said:

Ok so your not going to move the boat, but start casting small. As swampy said after a while you will learn by the sound of your reel when to put the thumb on, then build from there with range. 

Ok I get it, but what is the dial for? Is that the break strength? And does lower number mean more breaks?

14 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Ok I get it, but what is the dial for? Is that the break strength? And does lower number mean more breaks?

Is it magged? If it is then high for max braking if is just centrifugal brakes then ignore the numbers and go on end float. Once you’ve decided a comfortable setting use the number it’s on as a starter, then slacken or tighten depending on wind conditions 

1 hour ago, JonC said:

OR just get Leo to cast it out for you. 

OR do wot I do, just fish downtide and trott the bait well downtide of the boat, that works especially if there are other rods on the boat as the fish find the trotted bait first when looking for the scent source.

An even better option is not to fish bait at all, just use slow jigs and plastics 👍

8 hours ago, GPSguru said:

OR do wot I do, just fish downtide and trott the bait well downtide of the boat

This is my normal practise. However in order to search a larger area and potentially catch more fish, I want to get to grips with other styles. Uptiding being one, and then balloon fishing another (biodegradable balloons btw). 

42 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Pump and wind and watch the cheaper ones implode.... VS wind, wind some more, retrieved...

So much less effort using a multiplier

Yes I agree, that's why I'm switching to casting with a multi. I'll leave my FS reels for the beach. 

28 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes I agree, that's why I'm switching to casting with a multi. I'll leave my FS reels for the beach. 

When I first started beach fishing, I bought a fixed spool rod and reel..... That's what I was used to from years of coarse angling. Wasn't long before I switched to multipliers ( Once I got the hang of handle being other way round and laying line by thumb using a mates spare), was a while longer before switching to ABU's and never looked back.

18 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

When I first started beach fishing, I bought a fixed spool rod and reel..... That's what I was used to from years of coarse angling. Wasn't long before I switched to multipliers ( Once I got the hang of handle being other way round and laying line by thumb using a mates spare), was a while longer before switching to ABU's and never looked back.

I don't do enough beach fishing to warrant changing over to multi's. My rods are all continental style rigged for FS. 

dial on the side will be either Mags or centrifugal brakes - best advice is to tighten up to avoid birdnests and loosen off as you get used to it - as you arent going for distance casting it doesn't matter so much - id have it fairly tight - try at home first with a small lead and if you can freespool the lead from rod tip to the ground without your thumb and it doesnt birdsnest it should be ok. 

Head down the beach/harbour/playing field and try on dry land. It’s simple when you get used to it but a rocking boat can add further complications. It just comes down confidence and ensuring it’s smooth 🙂

18 hours ago, GPSguru said:

OR do wot I do, just fish downtide and trott the bait well downtide of the boat, that works especially if there are other rods on the boat as the fish find the trotted bait first when looking for the scent source.

An even better option is not to fish bait at all, just use slow jigs and plastics 👍

It’s got to be a good thing having another tactic to use, I’ve only fished the Solent a couple of times but it doesn’t seem so different to the Thames estuary, fairly coloured water , quite shallow with a few channels here and there. When I fished with Neil I caught different species to him when I was casting away from the boat- not particularly better but different fish feed in different patterns so it’s worth covering a bigger area. 

16 minutes ago, JonC said:

It’s got to be a good thing having another tactic to use, I’ve only fished the Solent a couple of times but it doesn’t seem so different to the Thames estuary, fairly coloured water , quite shallow with a few channels here and there. When I fished with Neil I caught different species to him when I was casting away from the boat- not particularly better but different fish feed in different patterns so it’s worth covering a bigger area. 

Yes, this being your best catch that day..

48CF698B-D652-40EB-BDCD-37C5850CD4D3.jpeg.c210984b5fe71de0741e8706ac5e17e7.jpeg

21 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

What reel have you got?

9 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes, this being your best catch that day..

48CF698B-D652-40EB-BDCD-37C5850CD4D3.jpeg.c210984b5fe71de0741e8706ac5e17e7.jpeg

That little fucker was holding on for dear life, it didn’t just give up. You wouldn’t have had a chance catching it down the tide.