Fin Nor Marquesa 12?

Has anyone got or used one? I’m looking for a new reel, mainly for boat casting. 
The 12 seems to be the smallest in the marquesa range holding about 300m of 50lb  braid from what I’ve seen. The reel weighs about the same as an Abu 7000 so I’m figuring similar size? 
The only person I know has one is @GPSguruwho uses a bigger version but he doesn’t emerge from his coffin until the sun goes down 🤣

• JonC changed the title to Fin Nor Marquesa 12?
1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Avet SX is nice for boat casting. I have no experience of the Fin Nor reels. Not sure how available parts are? 

I like the look of the avets, but I was given a nice voucher for Christmas for Fils tackle who stock the fin nor reels so that’s why I’m looking at them and they caught my eye last time I went to the shop. 

7 hours ago, JonC said:

Has anyone got or used one? I’m looking for a new reel, mainly for boat casting. 
The 12 seems to be the smallest in the marquesa range holding about 300m of 50lb  braid from what I’ve seen. The reel weighs about the same as an Abu 7000 so I’m figuring similar size? 
The only person I know has one is @GPSguruwho uses a bigger version but he doesn’t emerge from his coffin until the sun goes down 🤣

Yes, I have a 12, 16, and a two speed 20.

But, I dont do boat casting as I always fish downtide, but most of my time is spent 'gilling' on the wrecks. TBH, I can't see the point of uptide fishing when it is a small boat with only a couple of anglers on board, the disturbance of hull sound and lines in water is minimal.

They are very well made reels but have one very annoying trait, the anti-reverse pawl (separate to the ratchet) is extremely annoying, akin to nails being scrapped across a blackboard. However, a simple mod which takes all of 5 mins solves the issue.

The reel uses a spragg bearing (one way bearing) and under extreme load spragg bearings can slip a little, so they fit this annoying pawl as a mechanical back up to the bearing

The answer is to take out the side cover screws and remove the pawl circlip, the pawl, and the spring. This makes the reel absolutely silent.

I tested the spragg bearing for slip and I couldn't get it to slip at full max drag, so quite happy with that.

I noticed that when I had it apart, it uses a 4 pin centrifugal brake, so it will be ok for casting, but I have removed the brake sleeves as I often want a very fast drop when wrecking.

These are the bits you need to remove - 5 minute job

IMG_1399.thumb.JPG.85caa7d2dbe454f514020d0801ae0525.JPG

Edited by GPSguru

15 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Yes, I have a 12, 16, and a two speed 20.

But, I dont do boat casting as I always fish downtide, but most of my time is spent 'gilling' on the wrecks. TBH, I can't see the point of uptide fishing when it is a small boat with only a couple of anglers on board, the disturbance of hull sound and lines in water is minimal.

They are very well made reels but have one very annoying trait, the anti-reverse pawl (separate to the ratchet) is extremely annoying, akin to nails being scrapped across a blackboard. However, a simple mod which takes all of 5 mins solves the issue.

The reel uses a spragg bearing (one way bearing) and under extreme load spragg bearings can slip a little, so they fit this annoying pawl as a mechanical back up to the bearing

The answer is to take out the side cover screws and remove the pawl circlip, the pawl, and the spring. This makes the reel absolutely silent.

I tested the spragg bearing for slip and I couldn't get it to slip at full max drag, so quite happy with that.

I noticed that when I had it apart, it uses a 4 pin centrifugal brake, so it will be ok for casting, but I have removed the brake sleeves as I often want a very fast drop when wrecking.

These are the bits you need to remove - 5 minute job

IMG_1399.thumb.JPG.85caa7d2dbe454f514020d0801ae0525.JPG

That sounds like an essential thing to do, I couldn’t be living with a ratchet making clicking noises all the while. Thanks for tip. 

37 minutes ago, Dicky said:

Solidly built but i find the drag a little twitchy when setting.

Yes, the drag is silky smooth but setting at low drag levels can be irritating as less than 1/8 of a turn on the drag knob alters the drag by about 1lb.

I use 30lb braid and set the strike drag at about 5lb ish.

1 minute ago, JonC said:

That sounds like an essential thing to do, I couldn’t be living with a ratchet making clicking noises all the while. Thanks for tip. 

Yes, don't be put off by it, the job only takes 5 mins, but transforms the reel to being completely silent.

1 minute ago, GPSguru said:

Yes, don't be put off by it, the job only takes 5 mins, but transforms the reel to being completely silent.

Joking aside is it straight forward enough for someone who’s a scaffolder not  a watch maker? 

Just now, JonC said:

@GPSguru with regards to the upside/casting technique remember I’m fishing in 10-20’ of water usually in a 21’ boat that does slap a bit so it’s different to your model in deeper water

The absolute minimum I fish in is 35ft, more often it is 60 -90ft, and then over 100 - 250ft on the wrecks.

5 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

The absolute minimum I fish in is 35ft, more often it is 60 -90ft, and then over 100 - 250ft on the wrecks.

I would have to steam 30 miles to get in 100’ and even then I could still run aground on the sands. 

35 minutes ago, JonC said:

Joking aside is it straight forward enough for someone who’s a scaffolder not  a watch maker? 

Absolutely .

Take out the 4 torx screws on the side plate (handle end) and that removes the complete gearbox and spool from the casing. Look just under the handle mechanism, and you can see the pawl. Using a small screwdriver and/or a pair of long nosed pliers you can ease off the tiny circlip, then lift the pawl with a screwdriver and there is just enough room for it to slide out between the side plate and pinion gear. Then just lift off the spring ........... it really is an easy job.

There is a review of the reel here ............ https://planetseafishing.com/tackle/reels/fin-nor-marquesa-ma12/

Fin Nor supply a torx driver with the reel.

spacer.png

Edited by GPSguru

On 1/2/2022 at 9:49 PM, GPSguru said:

Yes, the drag is silky smooth but setting at low drag levels can be irritating as less than 1/8 of a turn on the drag knob alters the drag by about 1lb.

I use 30lb braid and set the strike drag at about 5lb ish.

Hi  Ian   have you ever used   ( Cals  drag Grease  )   us it on all my    reels     makes for a really smooth    Drag  

7 hours ago, willyhookit said:

Hi  Ian   have you ever used   ( Cals  drag Grease  )   us it on all my    reels     makes for a really smooth    Drag  

Yes Alain, I have changed all the drag washers on the charter specials for Carbontex, and they are all lubbed with Cals drag grease to give a silky smooth drag.

For those interested, the Carbontex drag washers and Cals drag grease are available from Jims Reels in Wiltshire.

The fin nor reels already have a silky smooth drag straight out of the box (they use a twin carbon fibre drag system), and as yet i haven't found the need to grease them with cals.

The Maxels also have a nice smooth drag, which is a prerequisite for SPJ, so I assume that these reels also have a Carbon Fibre drag system.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Certainly looks like a nice bit of kit.

@JonC, how big is it, compared to, say, a Penn Fathom or an Abu?

It’s not much bigger than a 6500, just a little bit ‘taller’ though the end plates are similar diameter, certainly not as big as a 7000. 
I followed @GPSguru ‘s advice/guidance  (I had a live video feed) to remove the noisy pointless clicker and now it’s silent. 
First impression of it are very good, the insides look very well engineered- far more so than the Abus that I am used to. 

7B1FE7D7-D251-4C0C-8670-A7C4698A47F5.jpeg

0D10BD39-9A60-4828-ABA5-34F9B914344D.jpeg

893C18BB-0FCC-4BCC-894A-E05A73674734.jpeg

8 minutes ago, JonC said:

to remove the noisy pointless clicker

I was a bit of over engineering, just in case the sprag bearing slipped under load (which they have been known to do), however, I think the chances of this happening at the sort of drag levels we use is in the 'very unlikely' category.

28 minutes ago, JonC said:

It’s not much bigger than a 6500, just a little bit ‘taller’ though the end plates are similar diameter, certainly not as big as a 7000. 
I followed @GPSguru ‘s advice/guidance  (I had a live video feed) to remove the noisy pointless clicker and now it’s silent. 
First impression of it are very good, the insides look very well engineered- far more so than the Abus that I am used to. 

7B1FE7D7-D251-4C0C-8670-A7C4698A47F5.jpeg

0D10BD39-9A60-4828-ABA5-34F9B914344D.jpeg

893C18BB-0FCC-4BCC-894A-E05A73674734.jpeg

Nice. Well done on the reel surgery.

1 hour ago, jonnyswamp said:

Had a quick look on the net and they go from £220 upwards but only in right hand ?

Do they make a left handed version ?

Avet SXJ in left hand be a nice option