Muppets

Do many people use them? I've seen and read of them being used for many types of fishing - sharking, cod, conger, ling etc. Curious to hear whether those who use them notice an improvement in catches/catch rates. Or are they more for catching anglers?

Disclaimer - I have a couple of packs of them in various colours, but I have yet to use them in anger. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Do many people use them? I've seen and read of them being used for many types of fishing - sharking, cod, conger, ling etc. Curious to hear whether those who use them notice an improvement in catches/catch rates. Or are they more for catching anglers?

Disclaimer - I have a couple of packs of them in various colours, but I have yet to use them in anger. Thoughts?

i`ve got some as well, I haven`t used mine either.😔

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Do many people use them? I've seen and read of them being used for many types of fishing

Yes, we generally use them for most of our bait fishing, and sometimes when lure fishing as well.

I think it is all about the movement that makes the added attraction.

Different colours seem to attract different species ........ Any colour for dogs, Reds and Greens for Pollock, Yellow and Greens for Ling, Blue and Silver for Bass, etc.

It also pays to slide on a small luminous bead above the muppet.

31 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Yellow and Greens for Ling

Agree with this, if you buy them without the rig you can even use them "the wrong way round" in small tides as they add more movement. It`s also woth checking if the muppets or their eyes are photo luminescent and if they are let them `charge` up prior to fishing them.

Pink and white or red/red and white for cod but I know guys who prefer blue or blue and white for cod

Muppets on end of a small pirk works well for cod or used to in north east.

I used baited muppets for whiting when sharking. Also jig them over reefs for pollack work well. 

They seem to have gone out of fashion to a degree 

Made up some muppet droppers yesterday. Size 6/0 hook with three beads above on an 8-10 inch length of 100lb mono. The muppet is then slid down over the beads, leaving the hook bend closer to the end of the muppet. The plan is to use them about 5 feet off the bottom, above a pennel-rigged big bait. The eyes are luminous paint, so I'll charge them up with a torch before sending them down, and I may put a couple of long strips of squid on the hook to give off scent as well as extra movement.

I went for droppers rather than used over the big baits as the big baits will be hard on the bottom and I'm not convinced the muppets will be able to work their tentacles as effectively as if they were up in the water a little.

oAEvT36.jpg

24 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Made up some muppet droppers yesterday. Size 6/0 hook with three beads above on an 8-10 inch length of 100lb mono. The muppet is then slid down over the beads, leaving the hook bend closer to the end of the muppet. The plan is to use them about 5 feet off the bottom, above a pennel-rigged big bait. The eyes are luminous paint, so I'll charge them up with a torch before sending them down, and I may put a couple of long strips of squid on the hook to give off scent as well as extra movement.

I went for droppers rather than used over the big baits as the big baits will be hard on the bottom and I'm not convinced the muppets will be able to work their tentacles as effectively as if they were up in the water a little.

oAEvT36.jpg

Have you got a picture of one set up? (Don’t worry about the bait)

4 hours ago, Andy135 said:

oAEvT36.jpg

As most of my fishing is lure / SPJ, I am way too lazy to make droppers, I just drop down and then wind up a couple of turns to lift the rig just off the bottom 🤣

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

I thought it was a good representation of one of @Andy135's rigs..............

Fishless.. 

I just thought that showing the rig as it would be deployed would give a more informative option, especially for those of us that can’t read. Having it wrapped around the winder only shows how it will end up after one drop.

31 minutes ago, JonC said:

Usual service, ask a question get a silly answer. Makes me wonder why I bother 

I thought it was a fine, technically accurate representation of the rig. I'm not gonna make up a rig in my office and take a photo of it just to satisfy your curiosity. Besides, I suspect you were just fishing anyway... 😛

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

I thought it was a fine, technically accurate representation of the rig. I'm not gonna make up a rig in my office and take a photo of it just to satisfy your curiosity. Besides, I suspect you were just fishing anyway... 😛

It wouldn’t just be satisfying my curiosity, it would give a better picture 

1 hour ago, JonC said:

It wouldn’t just be satisfying my curiosity, it would give a better picture 

@Andy135 I actually believe Jon is trying to ask you to be more informative for the anglers who look on here that may not have an idea of the rig! 

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

@Andy135 I actually believe Jon is trying to ask you to be more informative for the anglers who look on here that may not have an idea of the rig! 

All joking aside, the pic I posted is probably the clearest way to show the dropper concept in an easy-to-understand way. If I were to post a photo I'd have to take the photo far enough back to get all of the rig into the picture, which would mean it would become hard to see. I thought this was obvious, hence my reaction to Jon's request. If he really wants a photo I'll take one when I'm out on Friday, but in my point of view the rig diagram will illustrate the concept more clearly than a rig photo.

9 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

This is one of my favourite scratching rigs to use from the beach 

2D8E6446-4193-455F-9D51-366F45E09802.jpeg