Muppets

26 minutes ago, Yorkie Angler said:

Also I use a fine wire hook as well as a heavy gauge hook, the fine wire hook would snap on a wreck so that use to help with the tackle loss as well. Use to just change both hooks out when I snapped the fine wire then remake them up when I got home.

EC3DA73E-E1E1-4A2F-815B-3D83B218CA7F.jpeg

Nice idea. I'll give that a try.

19 minutes ago, JonC said:

What’s the clipping that’s framed about? 

It's a very old copy of the Daily Mirror, dated September 16th, 1941. I found it blocking up an air vent when I was redecorating the old part of the house. A previous owner must have stuffed it in there to stop drafts. It was very fragile so I had it framed to preserve it and it makes a nice thing to hang on the wall, given the historical context.

CmHcygQ.jpg

2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

It's a very old copy of the Daily Mirror, dated September 16th, 1941. I found it blocking up an air vent when I was redecorating the old part of the house. A previous owner must have stuffed it in there to stop drafts. It was very fragile so I had it framed to preserve it and it makes a nice thing to hang on the wall, given the historical context.

CmHcygQ.jpg

what was the item you wonted your birth not-is  😂

3 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

So muppets would be no good for uptiding or beach as they need to be off of the bottom, where both mentioned methods would have it nailed hard on the bottom

I use to use the 2 different sizes in my photo mainly due to them catching the tide. So if there was a strong tide run I would use the smaller muppets instead of going up to a larger pirk, so if your using off the beach or uptiding they will drag in the tide.  

CmHcygQ.jpg

And I thought you were going to tell us it was an article about you when you were called Kathleen Skellan!! 

28 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

And I thought you were going to tell us it was an article about you when you were called Kathleen Skellan!! 

I must say it was a bit of a let down for me, although I totally understand the sentiment of the cutting and the relevance to the house. I had just hoped for something a bit more entertaining I guess. 

I reckon that air vent was in the loo and that paper may have even been used for the purpose it was put there for!!! Well worth framing Andy. Geoff':classic_wink:

1 minute ago, Geoff said:

I reckon that air vent was in the loo and that paper may have even been used for the purpose it was put there for!!! Well worth framing Andy. Geoff':classic_wink:

Definitely wasn't in the loo Geoff! 🤣

3 minutes ago, JonC said:

I must say it was a bit of a let down for me, although I totally understand the sentiment of the cutting and the relevance to the house. I had just hoped for something a bit more entertaining I guess. 

Out of interest, what were you expecting then?

Just now, Andy135 said:

Out of interest, what were you expecting then?

I don’t really know, but it would have been a bit spicy with some degree of shame to it. 
Most probably would have been a broadsheet. 

19 hours ago, suzook12 said:

So muppets would be no good for uptiding or beach as they need to be off of the bottom, where both mentioned methods would have it nailed hard on the bottom

No, I have used them to add movement to a running ledger when fishing for small sharky things and hooked a decent Huss. I don't see why they wouldn't work unless the tidal flow was slow.

5 hours ago, Malc said:

No, I have used them to add movement to a running ledger when fishing for small sharky things and hooked a decent Huss. I don't see why they wouldn't work unless the tidal flow was slow.

So they work on a rolling method..... Not a sea method I'm at all familiar with. We're very much grip leads and line bow in this area

On 1/11/2022 at 9:17 PM, Malc said:

It was slightly shallow water, 30-40ft, I was casting 90' away from the boat so similar to uptiding apart from it being sluggish tidal current.

The big difference with uptiding is, with the bow in the line, all the snoods are on the deck, same with beach fishing in these parts though not as extreme

33 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

The big difference with uptiding is, with the bow in the line, all the snoods are on the deck, same with beach fishing in these parts though not as extreme

What is off putting with uptide fishing is that does involve some degree of hand eye coordination which is a bit much for some people. 

Made up some muppet rigs - to try out soon

Simple one hook twisted boom just off the bottom to allow some flow but be close enough for most fish - good for wrecks and piers too

image.thumb.png.4f41902c5bf1334458070964c8b120c4.png

and your general running ledger trace with beads to hold the mullet up from the bait a bit (good idea blatently stolen)

image.thumb.png.51d0828de81082be0254e73da6810fef.png

100lb rig body used as i expect mostly conger on these! - will bait with mackerel head for conger, Squid flap for whiting - mackerel side for anything else!

worth a try!

1 minute ago, mike farrants said:

Made up some muppet rigs - to try out soon

Simple one hook twisted boom just off the bottom to allow some flow but be close enough for most fish - good for wrecks and piers too

image.thumb.png.4f41902c5bf1334458070964c8b120c4.png

and your general running ledger trace with beads to hold the mullet up from the bait a bit (good idea blatently stolen)

image.thumb.png.51d0828de81082be0254e73da6810fef.png

100lb rig body used as i expect mostly conger on these! - will bait with mackerel head for conger, Squid flap for whiting - mackerel side for anything else!

worth a try!

They look tasty Mike 👍

I use similar for whiting, 2-3 small muppets small bit of squid. Used to work a treat as a kid when I was fishing the local piers. 

Where did you get the small ones from? 🤔🤔🤔