Muppets

19 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I use similar for whiting, 2-3 small muppets small bit of squid. Used to work a treat as a kid when I was fishing the local piers. 

Where did you get the small ones from? 🤔🤔🤔

3 inch ones here. £3.50 for 30: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165252846839?hash=item2679d654f7:g:83YAAOSwt1phyF4f

2 minutes ago, JonC said:

I thought we did well to get this far without that sort of stuff 

He started it by mentioning Jim Henson. I was simply searching for a facepalm giphy and this one seemed to fit the bill.

12 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

He started it by mentioning Jim Henson. I was simply searching for a facepalm giphy and this one seemed to fit the bill.

But I expect better from you. Perhaps you should go and sit down in a quiet spot and think about what you have done. 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

I aimed at Luke, thought maybe he's too young to get it? 

No way! I grew up with the muppets! Now I just work with them…. 🤣

8 hours ago, Malc said:

Found these Muppets a while ago but forgot about them, a good deal if you want to build your own and/or share with a group?

EDIT-Just found that they also do 4" Muppets too

I use these on my shark rigs 

• 2 weeks later...

Floppy or perky Muppets?

I waited until I had time to rig up a couple of Muppet rigs to share how I rig mine, not a right or wrong way just something I have worked on for a while. Originally I used it for soft plastic lure fishing as tying a drop shot is problematic for most sea fishing, but the lure needed to be standing off from the main line.

504064015_IMG_20220126_1328442692.thumb.jpg.beddce1e509e19867a38d9fe30da6213.jpg

Sad and floppy

Happy and perky!

First tie a double overhand knot in the body of the rig and start to pull until the knot turns over as below.1785392599_IMG_20220126_1352283252.thumb.jpg.d4af9d56aa4bf7a019c77b0eb963c4e9.jpg

This is the awkward bit to describe. In the photo you can see the two turns of line are closer to the camera and the line that loops around the back is further away. The snood line goes from the back in the loop you can see on the right, over the top of the twisted line and back down the loop on the left. Viewed from the side it looks like this.

683408154_IMG_20220126_1335474912.thumb.jpg.05634eb3ba9f031d52c2a299c778ef0c.jpg

This locks the snood line when you fully tighten.

Make a loop with the snood and wrap it round itself at least four times moisten and tighten.

1974113760_IMG_20220126_1335474913.thumb.jpg.c398c15644556332def467786a18fccd.jpg

The RH end of the snood (brown) line is where the Muppet is attached, I normally tie it on first but you have to be careful you don't end up with a hook somewhere you don't want it. The RH end of the rig body is the top end of the rig and when weighted pulls the Muppet out from the rig body, I found this better than tying a loop in the rig body and attaching the hook and Muppet to it.

Hope this helps someone.

@Malc that's a good way to tie a dropper - looks like there'll be less strain on the rig body doing it your way. I've used a loop knot in the past to make a stand-off loop to tie droppers to but I've been curious as to whether the loop knot reduces the B.S. of the rig body.

25 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

@Malc that's a good way to tie a dropper - looks like there'll be less strain on the rig body doing it your way. I've used a loop knot in the past to make a stand-off loop to tie droppers to but I've been curious as to whether the loop knot reduces the B.S. of the rig body.

If you are using blood loops in heavy rig body (50-60lb) the line will still be stronger with the knots than the point where your main line meets the leader or swivel 

3 hours ago, Andy135 said:

but I've been curious as to whether the loop knot reduces the B.S. of the rig body.

Same here I've not tried testing it but in its various guises when snagged I have mostly lost the lot the only one to come back was a very light sabiki rig with a 20lb body and 15lb snood and it appeared that the fine line of the snood pulled out of the body.

19 hours ago, Andy135 said:

All knots reduce breaking strain, but, as JC pointed out, the weakest point is where rig body meets mainline

• 1 year later...
On 1/11/2022 at 3:22 PM, Malc said:

No, I have used them to add movement to a running ledger when fishing for small sharky things and hooked a decent Huss. I don't see why they wouldn't work unless the tidal flow was slow.

Just an update. 

Recently I was using small green muppets baited with squid and mackerel for whiting and I had a doggie take the upper hook. The rig was not jerked up and down, just allowed to move with the motion of the boat. 

Further update. 

Not keeping records but it seems that fish tend to take the higher muppet on a 3-1 basis. My lower one is usually 8-10" above the lead and the second around 10-12" above the lower and the same if I have 3 snoods. 

Not sure what to make of it all yet, but I might start putting the first muppet 12-18" up from the lead???

23 minutes ago, Malc said:

Further update. 

Not keeping records but it seems that fish tend to take the higher muppet on a 3-1 basis. My lower one is usually 8-10" above the lead and the second around 10-12" above the lower and the same if I have 3 snoods. 

Not sure what to make of it all yet, but I might start putting the first muppet 12-18" up from the lead???

Something to do with a better/stronger tide pull further off the sea bed maybe? Works the muppets more vigorously?