Possible gearbox issue

I have a ZF 63 on the back of my engine which turns the prop when in neutral

It doesn't seem right to me as if I select F then R then back to neutral, it doesn't spin for a second or 2, then starts again

Not fast, about 1 rev per sec

This normal ?

BTW forward and reverse both work fine, no noise/grinding etc

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

You sure it's not simply the engine vibration turning the prop in neutral? If you were to put a hand on it (not suggesting you do) would it stop? Doubt it would have any torque from the gearbox turning it.

Are we insured for giving advice like that? 

13 minutes ago, willyhookit said:

be oil  drag     once you have had a run  for  10 /15 mins     pop it into  nuetral     and chances are  it wont turn      nothing to worry about   

Agree with this.

The ZF63 has hydraulically actuated multi-disc clutches, so I would expect the prop to turn in 'N' with zero torque.

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Did you get to the bottom of this issue @jonnyswamp?

No, been away for 2 weeks and just got back early hours

I don't think there's any issues, as there's no lack of drive or rattles/noises etc and the advice above seems to be pretty clear

I will double check next time I get out though

17 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

No, been away for 2 weeks and just got back early hours

I don't think there's any issues, as there's no lack of drive or rattles/noises etc and the advice above seems to be pretty clear

I will double check next time I get out though

Hope the holiday was good? 

11 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Hope the holiday was good? 

Yes thanks, very chilled

Didn't do any fishing this time as we were on our own and didn't want to leave Mrs Swamp on her own 

Actually I dropped a hint and is wasn't taken up, so I left it 😇

5 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

I may be putting my boat up for sale shortly (if a house purchase materialises) and would want any issues sorted before I do, so will get it sorted either way

Is that to allow the house move or does the house move allow for a bigger boat??

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

Is that to allow the house move or does the house move allow for a bigger boat??

Not moving, investing

If I can get it at the right price, it'll be worth renovating and selling on, but I'll need a hefty deposit (I shouldn't have bought a new van!)

It's not definite as, in all fairness, Mrs Swamp doesn't want me to sell the boat, says I'll be a miserable tw@t without one (she knows me well)

I'll get the boat valued in the next couple of weeks and make a decision after that

I'll be honest, it doesn't fill me with cheer knowing I may be boatless, but on the other hand, I wont have time to do much fishing if I'm renovating 3 houses this year (along side my own work)

Middle daughter has bought a house that needs work (kitchen, bathroom, boiler, knocking walls through etc) and our house needs the living room completely updating (new insulated ceiling and walls, new floor, chimney breast knocked about to take a floating oak beam, replastered and then some paint)

On a brighter note, if I do sell, the weather will be perfect for the rest of you

@jonnyswampim sure you are aware but I'll mention it any way (just incase). 
If you buy a house to do up you will be liable for CGT if you don't live in it for at least 6 months. This is on top of any tax you'll make if you turn a profit in the form of a business. Personal tax too I believe if not done in the form of a business. 
Ive done 4 houses in the past before the house we are in now, we lived and registered for council tax in all of them. Then no tax to be paid. 
But I'm sure you'd thought of that . 

5 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

@jonnyswampim sure you are aware but I'll mention it any way (just incase). 
If you buy a house to do up you will be liable for CGT if you don't live in it for at least 6 months. This is on top of any tax you'll make if you turn a profit in the form of a business. Personal tax too I believe if not done in the form of a business. 
Ive done 4 houses in the past before the house we are in now, we lived and registered for council tax in all of them. Then no tax to be paid. 
But I'm sure you'd thought of that . 

Yes I was thanks (no sarcasm intended)

👍

2 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

Bit of an update

As stated by a few, the gearbox is fine

But I've had an annoying battery draw problem over the last couple of months, even with the isolators turned off the leisure battery would be down below 12v after a week 

I checked what was supplied before the isolator and they were all good (no arcing when fuses were taken out and put back in) so I enlisted the help of a mechanic friend yesterday morning to try and get to the bottom of it

Problem solved within 30 seconds of being on board !!!

I have an inverter tucked under the passenger seat, this is also where I keep my tackle box when I'm out fishing (can you see where this is heading)

Seems when I slide my tackle box under the seat, I (sometimes) inadvertently switch the inverter on at the same time, hence the intermittent fault

Sometimes you can dive straight in too deep, when the answer is staring you in the face

Needless to say I had the piss ripped out of me, but it was worth it just to know there isn't any wiring issues

Well fixed 👍

I was on a boat recently that had a deck wash switch positioned behind my arse, needless I’ve not been asked back aboard since.