Have Ugly Stik changed their blanks?

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well, when I say made it up, what I mean is I guessed. 
I did use a ruler but my eyesights not what it was and my glasses were indoors. It looked like just under 3mm!! 

That's fine. I only measured with a regular ruler, not a micrometer, so the 2.8mm measurement I gave earlier in the thread was also an educated guess, but the key point here though is that yours and mine are both meaningfully thicker than just 2mm, which suggests that the new 20/30 they sent me could be a factory error.

So the plot thickens a bit. The retailer has just emailed me with confirmation that all their other stock of this rod measure 2mm. They've also asked Ugly Stik if there's been a spec change on the 20/30lb rods and we're now waiting to see what they say.

36 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

So the plot thickens a bit. The retailer has just emailed me with confirmation that all their other stock of this rod measure 2mm. They've also asked Ugly Stik if there's been a spec change on the 20/30lb rods and we're now waiting to see what they say.

This is probably a common thing with rods, I would think most people that actually want a matching pair buy them at the same time and therefore get from the same batch. I have never bought a new rod without handing it but that is becoming more difficult in this internet shopping world. Had you not had the original you would never had known 

1 minute ago, JonC said:

This is probably a common thing with rods, I would think most people that actually want a matching pair buy them at the same time and therefore get from the same batch. I have never bought a new rod without handing it but that is becoming more difficult in this internet shopping world. Had you not had the original you would never had known 

Probably true, but then again, the 2mm tip and test curve is more suggestive of a 12-20lb rod action. Certainly doesn't feel like it would be happy cranking up 1lb leads all day.

15 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Probably true, but then again, the 2mm tip and test curve is more suggestive of a 12-20lb rod action. Certainly doesn't feel like it would be happy cranking up 1lb leads all day.

C'mon Andy, that's absolute nonsense, the tip diameter has no bearing on the line class at all!! A 12-20lb class rod will happily haul up 1lb leads all day. Tip diameter has more about rod action and quality of build materials. Some people like to see bites ya know!!

For our market, test curve x 5 roughly puts you in the ball park, so if your test curve measures out between 4 and 6lb, then you most definitely have a 20-30lb class rod. It's possible shakespeare have changed the action on these or you have a different version. Shakespeare used to be pretty good at putting the cat number on all of their products....

1 hour ago, suzook12 said:

C'mon Andy, that's absolute nonsense, the tip diameter has no bearing on the line class at all!! A 12-20lb class rod will happily haul up 1lb leads all day. Tip diameter has more about rod action and quality of build materials. Some people like to see bites ya know!!

For our market, test curve x 5 roughly puts you in the ball park, so if your test curve measures out between 4 and 6lb, then you most definitely have a 20-30lb class rod. It's possible shakespeare have changed the action on these or you have a different version. Shakespeare used to be pretty good at putting the cat number on all of their products....

The test curve of both rods (as tested by Thomas and I) was in the 2lb range, so  nowhere near 4-6lb. The thicker, older rod, was at 2lb 15oz test. The thinner tip was 2lb 5oz, so I'd argue that the tip diameter clearly does influence the test curve in this instance, which in turn has a bearing on how comfortable it feels to haul up 1lb leads. Besides, no-one likes a heavy lead bouncing around on the end of an over-compressed rod on deck - give me a broomstick to fish with any day.

46 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

The test curve of both rods (as tested by Thomas and I) was in the 2lb range, so  nowhere near 4-6lb. The thicker, older rod, was at 2lb 15oz test. The thinner tip was 2lb 5oz, so I'd argue that the tip diameter clearly does influence the test curve in this instance, which in turn has a bearing on how comfortable it feels to haul up 1lb leads. Besides, no-one likes a heavy lead bouncing around on the end of an over-compressed rod on deck - give me a broomstick to fish with any day.

Do you have a calibration certificate for the testing equipment used? 

7 hours ago, Andy135 said:

I think you may need to look at your testing methods again, my carp/pike rods have a higher test curve than that, neither of which would be comfortable with a 1lb lead

4 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

I think you may need to look at your testing methods again, my carp/pike rods have a higher test curve than that, neither of which would be comfortable with a 1lb lead

Maybe, but it's getting academic now. Bottom line is that I don't like the action or the way it feels, so will probably return it.

And this is why we all need to support our local tackle shops, so we can go in there, pick a rod up wave it about, pretending to know what we are looking at and spend cash that we have just got from a little private job. 
I obviously wouldn’t be in that predicament though as I don’t do that sort of work. 

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Maybe, but it's getting academic now. Bottom line is that I don't like the action or the way it feels, so will probably return it.

That's fair enough, and theres no guarantee that Shakespeare use the same method for classification either....

Part/Cat number is usually a giveaway on shakespeare gear to see if it is meant to be the same rod. It's also entirely possible they do the same rod with different actions... Either way, you need to find out if you want the same again... Oh, and by the sounds of it, you'd love the old ugly stick.... Makes a broom stick look limp!!

3 minutes ago, JonC said:

And this is why we all need to support our local tackle shops, so we can go in there, pick a rod up wave it about, pretending to know what we are looking at and spend cash that we have just got from a little private job. 

Exactly right Jon