Have Ugly Stik changed their blanks?

3 minutes ago, JonC said:

And this is why we all need to support our local tackle shops, so we can go in there, pick a rod up wave it about, pretending to know what we are looking at and spend cash that we have just got from a little private job. 

If only local tackle shops round here stocked what is wanted. Mine sells loads of end tackle but the rods and reels are like the £13 beach caster, or £25 if you comb up!

4 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

If only local tackle shops round here stocked what is wanted. Mine sells loads of end tackle but the rods and reels are like the £13 beach caster, or £25 if you comb up!

Yeah you don’t want to have to spend that much money on a setup 

On 1/11/2022 at 4:59 PM, Andy135 said:

Recently ordered another Ugly Stik GX2 20-30lb rod to make a pair with one I already own. Upon inspection today it seems that either they've changed their blanks or they put a 20-30lb label on a 12-20lb blank by mistake.

Rod on the left is the new one. My existing 20-30lb is on the right. Diameter of tip on left is 2mm, 2.8 on right.

Ytwm1GE.jpg

Test curve is also different. Both rods tested with a 6oz weight and you can clearly see that the far rod bends more with the same weight as the rod in the foreground (my existing rod).

b1j5w3P.jpg

I'm considering sending it back unless anyone can tell me if they're all like that now?

Had a check, I thought I had the full range of GX2s but have 2 x GX2 12/20.

measured them & they are both @2.8 mm

FDD3FD6C-C9A7-481A-9C53-1999A2E1E371.jpeg

673BFC76-A9B6-4E81-BE09-600970EF313B.jpeg

10 hours ago, Yorkie Angler said:

Had a check, I thought I had the full range of GX2s but have 2 x GX2 12/20.

measured them & they are both @2.8 mm

FDD3FD6C-C9A7-481A-9C53-1999A2E1E371.jpeg

673BFC76-A9B6-4E81-BE09-600970EF313B.jpeg

Thanks for checking @Yorkie Angler. Appreciated 👍

Maybe I got a duff blank or maybe they have changed the blanks now. I should hear from the manufacturer via the retailer on Tuesday. Let's see...

22 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Thanks for checking @Yorkie Angler. Appreciated 👍

Maybe I got a duff blank or maybe they have changed the blanks now. I should hear from the manufacturer via the retailer on Tuesday. Let's see...

At least they work well under proper test conditions. 

78F302A6-A967-486C-B94E-09CB0FE0A0F9.jpeg.709405eaf9915bdaf71915440030b209.jpeg

87DEB20E-381C-454A-91DE-6237FAFBCB27.jpeg.58eb56dc81be66d16ac6b54b35c1a554.jpeg

An update to this thread. I recieved the below from the retailer in respect of my question whether Ugly Stik blanks had changed.

"It appears to be a running change possibly to increase sensitivity. These kind of decisions would probably be made in the US, as Shakespeare are just one of the brands that make up a much bigger company called Pure Fishing, and the EU/UK side of the business may not even have been consulted or informed. The US market will dictate the way rods are designed or developed, as this is by far their biggest market unfortunately."

When I ordered the new rod I was expecting the same blank as my exisiting 20/30lb rod, which I didn't receive. The action isn't the same, irrespective of what has been said about increased sensitivity. The retailer has agreed to a small discount instead of me going to the hassle of packing and returning the rod, which I've accepted. I'll chalk this up as one of the disadvantages of using an online store where we can't waggle a rod before buying, and I'll simply use it as an intermediate between a 12/20 and a true 20/30.

So, if anyone has a 20/30lb Ugly Stik with a 2.8mm diameter tip in good condition, I have cash waiting 😉

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

An update to this thread. I recieved the below from the retailer in respect of my question whether Ugly Stik blanks had changed.

"It appears to be a running change possibly to increase sensitivity. These kind of decisions would probably be made in the US, as Shakespeare are just one of the brands that make up a much bigger company called Pure Fishing, and the EU/UK side of the business may not even have been consulted or informed. The US market will dictate the way rods are designed or developed, as this is by far their biggest market unfortunately."

When I ordered the new rod I was expecting the same blank as my exisiting 20/30lb rod, which I didn't receive. The action isn't the same, irrespective of what has been said about increased sensitivity. The retailer has agreed to a small discount instead of me going to the hassle of packing and returning the rod, which I've accepted. I'll chalk this up as one of the disadvantages of using an online store where we can't waggle a rod before buying, and I'll simply use it as an intermediate between a 12/20 and a true 20/30.

So, if anyone has a 20/30lb Ugly Stik with a 2.8mm diameter tip in good condition, I have cash waiting 😉

Oh,  if it’s been changed in the US it’s ok then. What a vague dismissive answer, I certainly wouldn’t accept it, it’s a clear mugging off. 

4 minutes ago, JonC said:

Oh,  if it’s been changed in the US it’s ok then. What a vague dismissive answer, I certainly wouldn’t accept it, it’s a clear mugging off. 

I agree, although it seems that the manufacturer is mugging off the retailer as he couldn't even get a response from Pure Fishing after a week of emailing. I've decided life's too short to get worked up about it, so I'll take the partial refund and go fishing...

2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

I agree, although it seems that the manufacturer is mugging off the retailer as he couldn't even get a response from Pure Fishing after a week of emailing. I've decided life's too short to get worked up about it, so I'll take the partial refund and go fishing...

Had they just blamed it on covid I would have been more sympathetic. Or brexit. 

On 1/20/2022 at 11:15 AM, Andy135 said:

I must delve into the loft then and have a look, however I know that the last time I used my calipers I lost the battery so it may have to be guesstimations!

1 minute ago, Malc said:

I must delve into the loft then and have a look, however I know that the last time I used my calipers I lost the battery so it may have to be guesstimations!

As long as it's closer to 3mm than 2mm it should be fine. I guesstimated my original measurement as 4/5ths between 2mm and 3mm on a plastic ruler, hence 2.8mm 🤣