Thursday 13th Jan

GPSguru

Well done for braving the cold Ian, those conditions in the photo don't look too bad, at least the sun came out and you managed to foul hook a pout! 
Not sure that counts though (but at least you photographed it, so we will let it in this time)! 
Good effort. 👍🏻

Top dangling as always. Pout is my son's favourite eating fish, and he would be very envious 👍

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere bridging two circuits on the Jeep. Moisture in a multi-plug perhaps?

7 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well done for braving the cold Ian, those conditions in the photo don't look too bad,

The sea was pretty good at the wreck site most of the time, just every so often the different swells would come together and make it difficult.

7 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

you managed to foul hook a pout! 

When using SPJ, a good number of the fish you catch (especially Pout, Scad Mackerel, Etc) are foul hooked when they 'go' for the jig.

Bigger fish like pollock and bass usually have at least one of the hooks in the mouth .

I'll take Pout of any decent size for eating... gut them quick and get them cooled down, they are a very flavoursome fish imo and when a reasonable size are easy to deal with in the kitchen. 

Washing machine conditions... something I'm still trying to get used to out there 🤣

Funny though, I've never had that electrical problem on any of my Land Rovers over the years... must be a Jeep thing 🤣

4 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

I'll take Pout of any decent size for eating... gut them quick and get them cooled down, they are a very flavoursome fish imo and when a reasonable size are easy to deal with in the kitchen. 

I feed them to the seagulls !

Pout suffer badly from barotrauma and very rarely go back down, also there is no way that I would ever eat one. Pout, dogs, roker, conger, Whiting, and Wrasse are definitely not on the eating list !

5 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Pout

Pout (being cousins of cod) are actually very nice fish to eat. They just don't ever come in a size that warrants eating. 
Well, not for human sized dinners anyway, too much fuss to prep them. But boil one up for a Labrador and he's you're friend for life!! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2022 at 6:34 AM, Andy135 said:

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere bridging two circuits on the Jeep. Moisture in a multi-plug perhaps?

@Andy135 takes the cigar, very well hidden under the carpet and mounted to the rear of the rear seat mounting cross member is this ............. and tomorrow morning will now be spent soldering 31 wires together and covering  each connection with glued heatshrink.

IMG_1412.thumb.JPG.481a9c9f711b47338ee81134f182344a.JPG

IMG_1414.thumb.JPG.72a7e77836ef9c0ba8df5bad7a6ca759.JPG

On 1/24/2022 at 11:55 AM, Andy135 said:

Ah, yes. That'd do it! Glad its a relatively cheap & simple fix for you though, if tedious.

All fixed now, but the bas'tids at Jeep nearly caught me out, there are 32 wires on one side of the plug and 31 other !

Went for a decent drive last evening to check all the functionality and it was all fine .............. However ................

At 3:30am this morning the alarm siren started going off, and it is loud, it is very loud .........🤣

I went out to the car, and it wouldn't reset when I  unlocked the doors, and it is zilch to do with the wiring that I have fixed, as the BCM talks to the intrusion Module and the siren module via its own dedicated PCM twisted pair. The alarm has always been an area of contention on the Jeep as it has a mind of its own, but usually it resets OK.

So .... I disconnected the car battery, which left the alarm running on its own internal battery, and it is now 3:45am !

I decided to delete the alarm siren completely, by removing it.  45 minutes later the job was done, as it involves taking the O/S headlight out, the airbox has to come out, and also the O/S indicator. The 3 nuts that hold it in have been there since 2003 so were more than difficult to undo, which meant I had to use the air die grinder at 4:00am. Once the siren was out I wrapped it in a towel and then shoved it into a foam lined box, it took another hour before the internal battery died !

Edited by GPSguru

54 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

All fixed now, but the bas'tids at Jeep nearly caught me out, there are 32 wires on one side of the plug and 31 other !

Went for a decent drive last evening to check all the functionality and it was all fine .............. However ................

At 3:30am this morning the alarm siren started going off, and it is loud, it is very loud .........🤣

I went out to the car, and it wouldn't reset went I  unlocked the doors, and it is zilch to do with the wiring that I have fixed, as the BCM talks to the intrusion Module and the siren module via its own dedicated PCM twisted pair. The alarm has always been an area of contention on the Jeep as it has a mind of its own, but usually it resets OK.

So .... I disconnected the car battery, which left the alarm running on its own internal battery, and it is now 3:45am !

I decided to delete the alarm siren completely, by removing it.  45 minutes later the job was done, as it involves taking the O/S headlight out, the airbox has to come out, and also the O/S indicator. The 3 nuts that hold it in have been there since 2003 so were more than difficult to undo, which meant I had to use the air die grinder at 4:00am. Once the siren was out I wrapped it in a towel and then shoved it into a foam lined box, it took another hour before the internal battery died !

CAn just imagine you out there in your dressing gown and a birch branch giving it a jolly good thrashing!!

54 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

I went out to the car, and it wouldn't reset went I  unlocked the doors, and it is zilch to do with the wiring that I have fixed, as the BCM talks to the intrusion Module and the siren module via its own dedicated PCM twisted pair. The alarm has always been an area of contention on the Jeep as it has a mind of its own, but usually it resets OK.

That car really hates you doesn't it 🤣

Disgusting man that John Cleese. Thrashing an Austin 11/1300 should be classed as criminal damage and severely punished (although probably not if it occurred in Bristol today). I do not think that most people realize just how good they were back in those days. I will admit to being a bit biased, as back then a lot of us believed in brand loyalty. I will admit to graduating from a 1959 mini, (which was actually called an Austin seven and the Morris version was the  {mini minor}), a minivan, an 1100, Morris 1800 and a Maxi. Often the same sort of thing with boats - after a few lesser boats we moved on to a Shetland 570 (great boats) and then had a Fairline 21' Weekend and then moved up to a Fairline 24' Carrera. We sold the Carrera in 1986 to finance a house build, but I have always was the loved the Carrera and still have one (not the one we bought new) on the river Nene at Peterborough. Sadly most of the UK boat builders that had a size range of  boats moved on to producing much bigger vessels, leaving foreign companies to satisfy the obviously still needed smaller boat section of the market. Do Jeeps deserve a good  thrashing? - now that is a matter for conjecture. Geoff. :classic_wink:

21 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Disgusting man that John Cleese. Thrashing an Austin 11/1300 should be classed as criminal damage and severely punished (although probably not if it occurred in Bristol today). I do not think that most people realize just how good they were back in those days. I will admit to being a bit biased, as back then a lot of us believed in brand loyalty. I will admit to graduating from a 1959 mini, (which was actually called an Austin seven and the Morris version was the  {mini minor}), a minivan, an 1100, Morris 1800 and a Maxi. Often the same sort of thing with boats - after a few lesser boats we moved on to a Shetland 570 (great boats) and then had a Fairline 21' Weekend and then moved up to a Fairline 24' Carrera. We sold the Carrera in 1986 to finance a house build, but I have always was the loved the Carrera and still have one (not the one we bought new) on the river Nene at Peterborough. Sadly most of the UK boat builders that had a size range of  boats moved on to producing much bigger vessels, leaving foreign companies to satisfy the obviously still needed smaller boat section of the market. Do Jeeps deserve a good  thrashing? - now that is a matter for conjecture. Geoff. :classic_wink:

Jesus, I wish I’d never asked now. 

8 hours ago, Andy135 said:

That car really hates you doesn't it 🤣

Well, at 19 years old it is going to have the odd issue or two, but TBF it has been extremely reliable and a very good friend. Unfortunately, with the modern trend to greener vehicles, there is nothing on the market that is short wheelbase large family car size and can tow 3.5T with ease.

Since deleting the siren, the VTSS (Vehicle Theft Security System) knows it is not there and illuminates a small red VTSS warning light on the dash. Although it is not an MOT failure (immobilisers and theft alarms are outside the MOT scope) it is a bit bright at night. However, a quick look at the wiring diagram shows me that the LED illuminates from a switched earth from the BCM, therefore it will be easy to extinguish by removing the relevant connector pin on the dash plug.

8 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

CAn just imagine you out there in your dressing gown and a birch branch giving it a jolly good thrashing!!

For a lot of my working life I was a senior engineer on permanent call, so getting out of bed to fix something electronic / electrical seems pretty normal to me, even after all these years !

Edited by GPSguru

IMHO modern cars are just too clever. Whilst most modern cars are now generally very reliable, modern electronics basically now rule out roadside repair by the driver. Even the AA and RAC type of services are only able to diagnose with the use of a computer. I remember when if you had fuel and a spark, nothing other than a serious mechanical failure would stop you finishing your journey. We now have the situation that a friends Jaguar goes into limp mode and the fault has been identified as a throttle body sensor, an item that probably costs less than a couple of pounds. Sadly that sensor cannot be replaced and the car will have to have a new throttle body, which will take less than an hour or so to fit, but the new throttle costs a couple of thousand pounds, and a perfectly good throttle body with a faulty sensor just goes into the bin. I had a top of the range Renault Espace - a great car, but about 12 years old. The central locking system failed and the Renault garage stated that to locate the actual fault could prove to be very expensive and it may be better to scrap the vehicle. I ended up selling the car on the bay stating that the central locking did not work. Modern car electronics! Geoff. GRRR.