Friday 14th Jan - Spoils

Andy135

52 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

With the forecast looking great and with the boat fueled up and ready to go, I had high hopes for a decent session today.

@Saintly Fish and I slipped out of the marina just before sunrise and headed south, watching it rise above the horizon as we buzzed towards our mark at 25kts.

8d79Fo0.jpeg

The mark in question was just north of the Spoils, a historic dumping ground south of the Nab Tower. Big thanks to @Scotch_Egg2012 for the numbers 👍

Arriving at slack water we dropped the hook and got our baits down. Within less than a minute we had bites... big bites. We'd anchored over a snake pit and they were hungry! We'd brought three rods each but barely had time to rig them all up, such was the frantic pace of bite, wind, unhook, rebait, bite, wind, unhook...

Neil did a good impression of Benny Hill, chasing his conger around the deck.

aZ8SbzC.jpeg

And so it went, conger after conger to mid-double figures.

After an hour or so the tide strengthened and the bites slowed, with only the occasional fish making an appearance.

That said, the weather and conditions were fantastic, and unseasonably warm for mid-Jan.

CQ2OqEp.jpeg

We sat out the worst of the tide and as it started to slackened again the bites returned, and this time something a bit different arrived. A thornback ray, which made a welcome change from conger.

5HfEsXX.jpeg

And before long, another one arrived.

jg3Ctce.jpg

A PB thornback ray for me, just nudging into double figures.

After a few more congers, some whiting and pout the wind started to pick up, and as we were 12 miles out we decided to quit while the going was good. The return journey was uneventful but brief, hitting 26kts as we returned to the shelter of the Solent and Portsmouth Harbour approaches, where the sea state became glassy, a great way to finish the day.

HJp26c9.jpeg

Big thanks to Neil for plenty of banter and laughs. Good netting skills too 👍

Great day out again today mate, thanks for redeeming your skipper skills and actually finding some quarry this time! 💪🏻 I can remember the last time we had a busy day such as today!! 

Here are a few more pics for @JonC and others. 

It was a cold start at 06.15. 

36CF8B56-8BAB-4430-AFA4-9EC8EF455DF3.jpeg.ed21697b815b592aa577d91421fae0c3.jpeg

694818F3-063D-4DAA-BA78-9C410151745B.jpeg.d0fd2c308ed3cff298cacab416f1f704.jpeg

90210E7F-0519-4FD0-9F94-BB62F384E7DD.jpeg.087ed12ea64ee15d0728eb17142216cc.jpeg

D89BAE1F-DA7A-48F7-99BB-CDCBD5CF9F24.jpeg.8f305f305c5ec36c9980375cf9a32a5e.jpeg

Oh yeah and it seems that you forgot to mention the two most important facts of the day!! 

2 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

Going to nab. As the weather is so calm we thought we would venture out that far

There is around 4-5mph more wind tomorrow than today. Today was starting to rough up a bit after lunch. Hence I have decided to stay in the shelter of the Solent. 

Looks like you guy's had a great day, plenty of action and some good Thornbacks.

I bet @Andy135 was cussing as there were no dogs, but I guess the slimy snakes made up for them.

Sea was rough here today, not at all as forecast. The forecast from windguru and MSW was 0.3m @4secs, after looking at the sea later this afternoon I checked the wavebuoy live data and the sea was 1.2m @ 3 secs !

My mate Alan will be going out to the 40 mile wrecks tomorrow, but I have declined to crew as I think the sea will still be kicking up rough.

7 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Let me guess... it has something to do with tangles??

No, but that's also one you left out. 
I was thinking more about who caught the two trophy fish!! 
These details are missing from your report, maybe you're just tired??

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

No, but that's also one you left out. 
I was thinking more about who caught the two trophy fish!! 
These details are missing from your report, maybe you're just tired??

Oh, you mean the dogfish you caught?

Glad you managed some fish on the numbers,   we headed there today in hope of a Spurdog or 2,  sounds like a rinse and repeat.  We stopped counting the Eels after passing the 40 mark.  Also had a Thornie, pout, whiting and either a very late or very early Smoothound.  Eels were hitting the uptiders as soon as the bait hit the bottom not giving any thing else a chance to home in

34 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

Glad you managed some fish on the numbers,   we headed there today in hope of a Spurdog or 2,  sounds like a rinse and repeat.  We stopped counting the Eels after passing the 40 mark.  Also had a Thornie, pout, whiting and either a very late or very early Smoothound.  Eels were hitting the uptiders as soon as the bait hit the bottom not giving any thing else a chance to home in

Nice work. Throw up a report when you get a chance 👍