Downtide float fishing

On our trip to the Spoils yesterday, both @Saintly Fish and I tried float fishing down the tide while anchored. The theory is that using a float to suspend your bait just off the sea bed while trotting it back in the tide presents the bait more naturally drifting in the tide, and covers more ground than a static bait. There is also a theory that it puts hookbaits out of the noise zone of the boat (similar to uptiding).

We were using balloons and shark floats to suspend big baits and 1lb leads, allowing them to drift back for 20-30m before holding station.

Results were good. I had three conger to the float in three drops. I found that as the tide increased the floats became less effective and harder to keep tangle-free, so probably a technique for an hour either side of slack water.

I can't say it out-fished regular downtiding though as our downtiders were also producing fish on every drop as well, but it is something I'll be doing more regularly from now on, particularly if baits under the boat aren't producing.

Anyone else used this technique? 

yes I do it but im setting the float drift to around 200yds then very very slowly retrieve it, I find a fillet of mackerel cut longways again or a whole squid both just hooked once in the top works very well in the tide, try setting the rig up like a Portland rig so when the tide is faster the trace flows better. I dont tend to get any tangles even in 6knts of tide. 

2 minutes ago, DINOBOY said:

yes I do it but im setting the float drift to around 200yds then very very slowly retrieve it, I find a fillet of mackerel cut longways again or a whole squid both just hooked once in the top works very well in the tide, try setting the rig up like a Portland rig so when the tide is faster the trace flows better. I dont tend to get any tangles even in 6knts of tide. 

Our tangles were happening between our float rigs and our downtiders, not so much with the float rigs themselves.

I like your idea of a slow retrieve. Sounds good for bass.

18 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Our tangles were happening between our float rigs and our downtiders, not so much with the float rigs themselves.

I like your idea of a slow retrieve. Sounds good for bass.

wind slow enough to keep the stop knot at the top of the float this will keep your bait where you want it, make sure you have an extra oz of lead on as I found this helps a lot to keep your gear down when putting on winding tension, I always use circles and never rush to wind down  if the float goes 'unless its coming towards you' you know this anyway lol

• 3 months later...
12 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

Where do you get floats that will take 1lb of lead? I tried 150g float with 4oz leads yesterday. Sadly got nothing but 200g was the biggest float I could find

I use biodegradable balloons. They work a treat. Just blow them up and clip the knot neck through the lead holder catch. Float it out and when ready just yank on the line, the ballon material snaps and the lead sinks. Ballon floats off and degrades safeishly. 

35 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

Where do you get floats that will take 1lb of lead? I tried 150g float with 4oz leads yesterday. Sadly got nothing but 200g was the biggest float I could find

Empty coke bottle with a bottle cap clip.

https://ultimatefishingfloat.info/

• 2 months later...

i make these  (  Toothy Critter   Guzunder )  release floats     form a loop between  your finger & thumb  and  trap the line  between the rubber  washers     once a a fish takes and you  strike  the loop pulls out  and the float is  free  running up &  down your main line      caught  tope bass  sharks & tuna  using them 

Chum and flush bags 005.jpg

On 7/28/2022 at 12:45 PM, willyhookit said:

i make these  (  Toothy Critter   Guzunder )  release floats     form a loop between  your finger & thumb  and  trap the line  between the rubber  washers     once a a fish takes and you  strike  the loop pulls out  and the float is  free  running up &  down your main line      caught  tope bass  sharks & tuna  using them 

Chum and flush bags 005.jpg

I have got some of those, and they are very good. We have also used them for Bass livebait fishing, and that works very well indeed.

Once the loop has broken free, they slide easy and are also easy to take off the line if you need to.