Wrecking trip - advice needed please!

mike farrants

Got a wrecking charter out of weymouth lined up in Feb and i've never been wrecking before - so want some sound advice please - rigs, lures, baits, tactics etc 

im expecting Pollock on lures, and maybe conger/ling on bait. 

i have some savage gear shads, and have ordered some 5" sidewinder super shads in orange and mackerel, 

i already have some sand eel type lures in pearl, Blue, yellow pink and green - but no branded ones (redgills/Sidewinder). 

Im thinking portland rig with rotten bottom 10oz cannonballs, for the lures and for the baited hooks 100lb rig body twisted boom set up with also a rotten bottom weight and those muppets.

bait was thinking frozen mackerel flappers/Joeys - unless i can get some fresh Pout from the shore the night before! 

I do have some slow Jigs so might throw them around too

all tips welcomed!

Not fished a Portland rig yet so I don't have a term of reference for it but I used to get plenty with a flying collar rig. Used to use delta eels in orange red or black for Pollock, which ever rig you decide on I'd be tempted to use redgill evostix or sidewinder curltail with a 6/0 heavy weight worm hook as they tend to prevent snagging if rigged well.

Drop down under slight control and as soon as it touches down, wind in slowly and lift the rod tip counting the turns until you get takes or you are about mid water and then drop down again. Pollock normally sit at a certain height and once you know where they are you can reel up to near that height and have your lure working in that zone and 10 ft either way rather than from bottom to mid water. Worked well for the Plymouth wrecks back in the day but perhaps people do it a bit different now? Another thing that has worked well for me is using small sandeel lures down to 3" or so if they are a bit picky.

As always ask the driver before you go, he will know full well what setups work. 
Saying that a flying collar with a twin tail jelly worm is always a good starting place. I used to use paper clips for a weak link, you work in an office so you can rob a handful before you go. 

When you get snagged (you will) tie your main line off on a cleat, don’t use your hand especially with braid. Knock it in free spool and tie it off above the tip ring, I’ve seen clowns tie off between the butt ring and reel before which is always funny.

the skipper is a mate of my mate who's coming so we will get insight ahead of the trip

jelly worms - good call! 

Paper clips already on the list - great idea as much quicker to swap a new lead on

tying off on a cleat - very good call - thanks!

47 minutes ago, JonC said:

...tie your main line off on a cleat...

Each to their own but I use a piece of broom handle wrapped in duct tape and wind several turns round it and it can be done between reel and first ring which is quick and you may not be near a cleat.

31 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

jelly worms - good call! 

Yup, try getting these, they do them in black/pink and all orange, both catch.

1821214051_IMG_20210906_1453298613.thumb.jpg.8b2a2bba15565c484a352d7c55daf016.jpg

9 minutes ago, Malc said:

Each to their own but I use a piece of broom handle wrapped in duct tape and wind several turns round it and it can be done between reel and first ring which is quick and you may not be near a cleat.

Yup, try getting these, they do them in black/pink and all orange, both catch.

1821214051_IMG_20210906_1453298613.thumb.jpg.8b2a2bba15565c484a352d7c55daf016.jpg

I always carry a spare cleat in my bag, I’m always prepared for stuff. 

It’s all in my best selling paperback. 

On 1/17/2022 at 11:10 AM, mike farrants said:

Got a wrecking charter out of weymouth lined up in Feb and i've never been wrecking before - so want some sound advice please - rigs, lures, baits, tactics etc 

im expecting Pollock on lures, and maybe conger/ling on bait. 

i have some savage gear shads, and have ordered some 5" sidewinder super shads in orange and mackerel, 

i already have some sand eel type lures in pearl, Blue, yellow pink and green - but no branded ones (redgills/Sidewinder). 

Im thinking portland rig with rotten bottom 10oz cannonballs, for the lures and for the baited hooks 100lb rig body twisted boom set up with also a rotten bottom weight and those muppets.

bait was thinking frozen mackerel flappers/Joeys - unless i can get some fresh Pout from the shore the night before! 

I do have some slow Jigs so might throw them around too

all tips welcomed!

Easy ............

12 - 20 rod and multi loaded with 30lb braid. A rubbing leader that is long enough that you get about 2 turns on the reel.

The leader to braid knot needs to be strong, but also the weak point if you get snagged. I use a yucatan knot which is small enough to go through the guides, strong enough (about 80 - 90%), and can be tied in seconds. The leader can be the same as the braid, i.e. 30lb Fluro is a good option.

The rig will be a tube boom (also called a 'free running boom', Wrecking boom', or 'Guy's boom') of about 20 - 25cm (I use 23Cm Sakuma booms). The trace for the lure will be length dependant of tide flow, however a good rule of thumb is to use 2m (6ft).

So, the rig is like this ............ slide the tube boom on the leader, then a bead and then tie on a size 4 crane swivel. The lead (usually an 8, 10, or 12oz cannon ball) connects to the link swivel on the tube boom (it is already fitted to the bend of the boom). Tie on the lure trace to the swivel and away you go. You need a controlled drop, and it is good practise to let the lure 'stream' in the tide flow before you drop (less chance of tangles). Once the rig has hit the bottom, then immediately start winding and COUNT THE TURNS). Normally the bites will be at about 5 turns up, but on a slack tide the fish may be as much as 15 - 20 turns up. Once you get to 15 turns, then drop down and do it all over again, again, again.

Wreck fishing can be tackle hungry. I remember a couple of years ago, I made 5 drops and snagged the wreck 5 times !, but that is unusual.

Edited by GPSguru

awesome - thanks mate @GPSguru - given your results - i'll follow your advice - the guy im going with said portland rig but most ive seen on you tube use booms. - i have booms forthe turbot drifting so will use them - but get some more! 

i'll order some 10oz cannonballs x10

i was thinking I needed a heavier rod than 12-20 - i have a 12-20lb leeda icon +slosh 20 and a 20-30lb leeda icon+ slosh 30 - both with braid and rubbing leader -  but i also have an ugly stick 20-30lb.....

i have shads, and some cheap sandeels - should i invest in some redgills? and if so what colours?

and thanks andy - nice video to watch at lunchtime! 

34 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

should i invest in some redgills? and if so what colours?

The old style redgill lures have a downward facing hook which means they foul more, the upward facing tend to be weighted and better for bottom hopping but will work. Orange is good as is black but I have found that most colours will catch and I really like either natural greens or blue with lighter bellies/sides

16 hours ago, mike farrants said:

the guy im going with said portland rig

Portland rig is fine, just a faff if you have to re-rig. The only thing I use a Portland for is live bait fishing as it is tangle free in that application.

Don't worry too much about using weak links for the lead, as it is generally the lure that snags when it hooks into something on the wreck.