Near miss video

Always a worry when you are a few miles out, however, my AIS would have warned me of a collision course, giving me  10mins to do something about it.

Fishing on my own, I am continually scanning the water for other vessels, another good plus point of an open boat.

This was the offender, and i would suggest the bridge was unmanned or the skipper was dozing ................ Most commercials have their AIS on all the time.

This is one for the MAIB to take action on ............

https://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Ships/Margaret-Anne-Tt55-I1540658.html

Edited by GPSguru

yeah it took them a long time to notice - i'm always aware of the boats around - even to the point of warning others on board about wash coming past!

very scary - id imagine even more scary that the trawler a) didnt even notice they hit something so wouldn't have been able to assist if the collison was worse , and b) could have been towing gear that then drags the small boat under after.

very frightening.

I’m kind of torn here…

we don’t know where they were fishing, they appear to have quite a lot of time to react. Were they in a channel? Was the approaching boat on a direct course when they decided to start fishing off their boat? 

We don’t know what size the vessel was that was fishing (and recording the video)  and if they were displaying the correct day shape for that activity.

HOWEVER! 

They shouldn’t need to react… as the other boat was on a collision course…. A clear case of a quick VHF call on the vessel making way… 

I get called up a few times a day when I’m sharking as there are a few trawlers about. It’s more a common courtesy to check you’re course and intentions. 

Certainly one for the MAIB to investigate abs hopefully publish lessons learned for others to learn from 

Edited by Odyssey

2 hours ago, Odyssey said:

I’m kind of torn here…

we don’t know where they were fishing, they appear to have quite a lot of time to react. Were they in a channel? Was the approaching boat on a direct course when they decided to start fishing off their boat? 

We don’t know what size the vessel was that was fishing (and recording the video)  and if they were displaying the correct day shape for that activity.

HOWEVER! 

They shouldn’t need to react… as the other boat was on a collision course…. A clear case of a quick VHF call on the vessel making way… 

I get called up a few times a day when I’m sharking as there are a few trawlers about. It’s more a common courtesy to check you’re course and intentions. 

Certainly one for the MAIB to investigate abs hopefully publish lessons learned for others to learn from 

I that sums it up well.

On the subject of displaying shapes, while fishing at the weekend my boat mate and I discussed it we should get an anchor ball. Does anyone on here have one? Didn't see another boat with one and only one sailing yacht showing an inverted triangle while under power

Just now, LostPiker said:

I that sums it up well.

On the subject of displaying shapes, while fishing at the weekend my boat mate and I discussed it we should get an anchor ball. Does anyone on here have one? Didn't see another boat with one and only one sailing yacht showing an inverted triangle while under power

I have a plastic one, the two interlocking disk type. I have it on a pole that I put in a rod holder on my radar arch. 
We have a predominately sailing demographic in my area who seem to think that they have right of way over everything in all situations and I’d like to think it would help  out in the event of a collision. 

8 hours ago, LostPiker said:

I that sums it up well.

I use one when anchoring outside of a designated anchorage. However, if you’re under 7m you don’t need one according to col regs…. 

Motoring cone etc apply if you’re over 12m 

23 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

I use a ball in the solent but not outside,  WAFIs ignore it so it's mainly there incase someone's hits me and disputes, also I'm sure insurance would ask. 

Outside you very rarely see a yacht so rely on keeping a good look out. 

I agree with your school of thought there, it could make all the difference regarding an insurance claim. I dare say most people sailing have not got a clue what it means. 

15 hours ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

I use a ball in the solent but not outside,  WAFIs ignore it so it's mainly there incase someone's hits me and disputes, also I'm sure insurance would ask. 

Outside you very rarely see a yacht so rely on keeping a good look out. 

I just use the all round white light ....... and keep a feck'in good lookout.