Winter lift.

Took Tarlach Too round to a neighbouring MDL marina this morning ready for her lift out and maintenance. 
B7B0B805-DB6B-4B85-A0E1-1127254C39EE.jpeg.8b4f14df0338731bce8a148e0d53737c.jpeg

670FB91D-B038-43E2-9C0A-198E88DCDD6E.jpeg.4327bff4fbac84ba0d921d0c957def10.jpeg

I was curious to see how the AF from this time last year had faired. And tbh it was alright. A bit of weed on the transducers, but that was it. 

4FFFAD7B-3BC2-4EF0-A78E-A958257BB7B2.jpeg.b6560058e6d6354d60352d0e6dab351d.jpeg

AD83C374-783A-41CC-A167-F3E4454FE3B0.jpeg.925e4e68d8af56e7768c47d146ad5138.jpeg

The hull had a layer of slime but nothing that causes any real drag. But saying that it has the effect of loosing 100rpm and 2 knotts (imagine that @mike farrants 😱).

The rudder anode was surprisingly only 1/4 eaten away. But, the prop and thruster anodes were completely gone. Now could this be the sacrificial aspect or just that the bolts came undone?? No bolts evident, I'd of imagined that even if the anode had completely worn away, the bolt would still be there???

Any way, the thruster tunnel repair I had done last year has stood up so I'm well chuffed about that! 
Now to anti foul get and get the polishing done for hull and all top sides. 
Also getting some grazing ground out and refilled. It's not a major issue but one little cosmetic job that's been bothering me. 
Also need to get a plate made up for the anchor to rest upon when fully retracted.

E68D9AC5-47E7-4A91-82A3-3C6F96307AA0.jpeg.b4ddc21e0f20eecedf06ca07cc7de500.jpeg

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Took Tarlach Too round to a neighbouring MDL marina this morning ready for her lift out and maintenance. 

That looks pretty good for a year in the drink ................👍

Around here, the only boats that come out with just a layer of slim are copper coated, the rest come out with a full garden / farm. Even your transducers look OK, here they have to be cleared of mussels every few months.

41 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

That looks pretty good for a year in the drink ................👍

Around here, the only boats that come out with just a layer of slim are copper coated, the rest come out with a full garden / farm. Even your transducers look OK, here they have to be cleared of mussels every few months.

I mix copper and zinc oxide powder into my AF. I've been doing this for a few years now and it seems to work pretty good. 
I use a hard AF instead of an eroding one, this means I only need a quick single coat before relaunch. 
The transducers are not coated in the same AF because I'm worried about plastics degradation. So I use a standard primer then a transducer AF. Obviously it's not as good! 

6 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Copper coat is good…

bit of slime to jet wash off, quick rub over back in job done 🙂

Yes but £4k to apply properly to a boat my size. When copper oxide and zinc oxide costs pennies. And gives the same result! 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes but £4k to apply properly to a boat my size. When copper oxide and zinc oxide costs pennies. And gives the same result! 

great results,

Is there a "how to" - or could you do a "how to" on how to add Copper oxide and zink oxide powder to AF  - quantities, mixture, and how to apply etc?

it might give me half a knot more - (i'll have to hold on as i put the hammer down) 

Ok for @mike farrantsand @Geoff(and anybody else). 
Find your AF of choice (I use Hempel hard). 
Poor 1/5 of the tin into another container that is of similar size to a mixing bowl. 
Then take the oxides, I use C58F5411-943A-4560-807D-98100FED017E.jpeg.bc0c729161c086706fcc208392425fe1.jpeg

and

1F488168-D0A9-4A8A-8FA1-E7074B15A929.jpeg.16372c8494406d0dcc540d059d68393e.jpeg

these bottles last me 2-3 seasons. 
Slowly, with a fine sieve add the oxide powders into the separated AF. I use the wife's best whisk...

FF882891-4919-4D37-B5A5-A9FC4DADE8F6.jpeg.ca0a16512c588d14c804a3b4425336ec.jpeg

Add the powders in small quantities whilst whisking, don't do too much at a time because it will clump up and make it harder to apply. 
Once you have added all the oxide and got the mix nice and smooth but thick, add the remaining AF (still whisking). 
You will end up with an AF with the consistency of Tomato ketchup. 
Then apply. 
You will find that it spreads nice and thick so usually one coat is enough. 
If doing for the first time though do two coats. 
No point doing any of this if you use self eroding AF for obvious reasons.

does the anti-foul layers on boat get thicker and thicker every year,adding more weight .

if you use self-eroding would that not save you having to remove old a/f .

Edited by mick

15 minutes ago, mick said:

does the anti-foul layers on boat get thicker and thicker every year,adding more weight .

if you use self-eroding would that not save you having to remove old a/f .

It’s a matter of microns, the 2.5 litres is enough to cover a boat so the weight is nothing.

1 hour ago, JonC said:

It’s a matter of microns, the 2.5 litres is enough to cover a boat so the weight is nothing.

Yes it's not much weight. On a 4 tonne vessel a 2.5ltr tin weighs nothing. 
Also some does wear off, but not like sacrificial stuff. 

So what have you managed to get done so far? Any pictures of the progress? 
Are you getting a full professional polish again or just going over? 
Also did you coat your propeller last year with a product? If so did it work? 

1 hour ago, JonC said:

So what have you managed to get done so far? Any pictures of the progress? 
Are you getting a full professional polish again or just going over? 
Also did you coat your propeller last year with a product? If so did it work? 

I'm having a proper polish job done this time not a wise boy chancer waving a mop at it then declaring a done job. 
Ive not done anything yet apart from collect the anodes etc in readiness. 
I plan to get down this weekend (Sunday morning) and do a couple of hours. 
I used some white grease on the prop and shaft last season, not sure really if it had a benefit though. 

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, daio web said:

nice boat mate  fair play 

Cheers. She's the boat I've owned the longest. 3 seasons now. 
Got all the anti foul finished today. All anodes fitted. The Grp grazing repair is under way also and should be finished mid next week. Then following Monday, back in the drink and off for some plaice!! 

17 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Cheers. She's the boat I've owned the longest. 3 seasons now. 
Got all the anti foul finished today. All anodes fitted. The Grp grazing repair is under way also and should be finished mid next week. Then following Monday, back in the drink and off for some plaice!! 

You've done it now... boat all good but the weather will be crap for weeks 😭