Jump to content

Winter lift.


 Share

Recommended Posts

Took Tarlach Too round to a neighbouring MDL marina this morning ready for her lift out and maintenance. 
B7B0B805-DB6B-4B85-A0E1-1127254C39EE.jpeg.8b4f14df0338731bce8a148e0d53737c.jpeg

 

670FB91D-B038-43E2-9C0A-198E88DCDD6E.jpeg.4327bff4fbac84ba0d921d0c957def10.jpeg

 

I was curious to see how the AF from this time last year had faired. And tbh it was alright. A bit of weed on the transducers, but that was it. 
 

4FFFAD7B-3BC2-4EF0-A78E-A958257BB7B2.jpeg.b6560058e6d6354d60352d0e6dab351d.jpeg

 

AD83C374-783A-41CC-A167-F3E4454FE3B0.jpeg.925e4e68d8af56e7768c47d146ad5138.jpeg

The hull had a layer of slime but nothing that causes any real drag. But saying that it has the effect of loosing 100rpm and 2 knotts (imagine that @mike farrants 😱).

The rudder anode was surprisingly only 1/4 eaten away. But, the prop and thruster anodes were completely gone. Now could this be the sacrificial aspect or just that the bolts came undone?? No bolts evident, I'd of imagined that even if the anode had completely worn away, the bolt would still be there???

Any way, the thruster tunnel repair I had done last year has stood up so I'm well chuffed about that! 
Now to anti foul get and get the polishing done for hull and all top sides. 
Also getting some grazing ground out and refilled. It's not a major issue but one little cosmetic job that's been bothering me. 
Also need to get a plate made up for the anchor to rest upon when fully retracted.

 

E68D9AC5-47E7-4A91-82A3-3C6F96307AA0.jpeg.b4ddc21e0f20eecedf06ca07cc7de500.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did you thread lock the prop anode bolt? If you didn’t it would have just vibrated out once the anode allowed it any slack. But that’s what they’re for.  
Do you have a hull anode? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Took Tarlach Too round to a neighbouring MDL marina this morning ready for her lift out and maintenance. 

That looks pretty good for a year in the drink ................👍

Around here, the only boats that come out with just a layer of slim are copper coated, the rest come out with a full garden / farm. Even your transducers look OK, here they have to be cleared of mussels every few months.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

That looks pretty good for a year in the drink ................👍

Around here, the only boats that come out with just a layer of slim are copper coated, the rest come out with a full garden / farm. Even your transducers look OK, here they have to be cleared of mussels every few months.

 

I mix copper and zinc oxide powder into my AF. I've been doing this for a few years now and it seems to work pretty good. 
I use a hard AF instead of an eroding one, this means I only need a quick single coat before relaunch. 
The transducers are not coated in the same AF because I'm worried about plastics degradation. So I use a standard primer then a transducer AF. Obviously it's not as good! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Copper coat is good…

bit of slime to jet wash off, quick rub over back in job done 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Copper coat is good…

bit of slime to jet wash off, quick rub over back in job done 🙂

Yes but £4k to apply properly to a boat my size. When copper oxide and zinc oxide costs pennies. And gives the same result! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes but £4k to apply properly to a boat my size. When copper oxide and zinc oxide costs pennies. And gives the same result! 

great results,

Is there a "how to" - or could you do a "how to" on how to add Copper oxide and zink oxide powder to AF  - quantities, mixture, and how to apply etc?

it might give me half a knot more - (i'll have to hold on as i put the hammer down) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, please post your favourite AF recipe Neil, but please do not add a few PN's into the mix just to get JC excited. Geoff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok for @mike farrantsand @Geoff(and anybody else). 
Find your AF of choice (I use Hempel hard). 
Poor 1/5 of the tin into another container that is of similar size to a mixing bowl. 
Then take the oxides, I use C58F5411-943A-4560-807D-98100FED017E.jpeg.bc0c729161c086706fcc208392425fe1.jpeg

and

 

1F488168-D0A9-4A8A-8FA1-E7074B15A929.jpeg.16372c8494406d0dcc540d059d68393e.jpeg

 

these bottles last me 2-3 seasons. 
Slowly, with a fine sieve add the oxide powders into the separated AF. I use the wife's best whisk...

FF882891-4919-4D37-B5A5-A9FC4DADE8F6.jpeg.ca0a16512c588d14c804a3b4425336ec.jpeg

 

Add the powders in small quantities whilst whisking, don't do too much at a time because it will clump up and make it harder to apply. 
Once you have added all the oxide and got the mix nice and smooth but thick, add the remaining AF (still whisking). 
You will end up with an AF with the consistency of Tomato ketchup. 
Then apply. 
You will find that it spreads nice and thick so usually one coat is enough. 
If doing for the first time though do two coats. 
No point doing any of this if you use self eroding AF for obvious reasons.

  • Like 2
  • Informative 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, JonC said:

Will you be getting the first polishing gang you used last time? They were very cheap. 

Haha. No. 
We should call you Jon Merrick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

does the anti-foul layers on boat get thicker and thicker every year,adding more weight .

if you use self-eroding would that not save you having to remove old a/f .

 

Edited by mick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, mick said:

does the anti-foul layers on boat get thicker and thicker every year,adding more weight .

if you use self-eroding would that not save you having to remove old a/f .

 

It’s a matter of microns, the 2.5 litres is enough to cover a boat so the weight is nothing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JonC said:

It’s a matter of microns, the 2.5 litres is enough to cover a boat so the weight is nothing.

Yes it's not much weight. On a 4 tonne vessel a 2.5ltr tin weighs nothing. 
Also some does wear off, but not like sacrificial stuff. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So what have you managed to get done so far? Any pictures of the progress? 
Are you getting a full professional polish again or just going over? 
Also did you coat your propeller last year with a product? If so did it work? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JonC said:

So what have you managed to get done so far? Any pictures of the progress? 
Are you getting a full professional polish again or just going over? 
Also did you coat your propeller last year with a product? If so did it work? 

I'm having a proper polish job done this time not a wise boy chancer waving a mop at it then declaring a done job. 
Ive not done anything yet apart from collect the anodes etc in readiness. 
I plan to get down this weekend (Sunday morning) and do a couple of hours. 
I used some white grease on the prop and shaft last season, not sure really if it had a benefit though. 

  • Informative 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, daio web said:

nice boat mate  fair play 

Cheers. She's the boat I've owned the longest. 3 seasons now. 
Got all the anti foul finished today. All anodes fitted. The Grp grazing repair is under way also and should be finished mid next week. Then following Monday, back in the drink and off for some plaice!! 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Cheers. She's the boat I've owned the longest. 3 seasons now. 
Got all the anti foul finished today. All anodes fitted. The Grp grazing repair is under way also and should be finished mid next week. Then following Monday, back in the drink and off for some plaice!! 

You've done it now... boat all good but the weather will be crap for weeks 😭

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...