Weymouth 30th Jan - another PB!

mike farrants

Well done again Mike. As for the anchor dragging- it may not have been so, your gps plotter will seldom or never read 0 if there’s any kind of boat movement in the tide, with 150m of warp out your boat will be moving all over the place confusing your gps. 

2 minutes ago, JonC said:

Well done again Mike. As for the anchor dragging- it may not have been so, your gps plotter will seldom or never read 0 if there’s any kind of boat movement in the tide, with 150m of warp out your boat will be moving all over the place confusing your gps. 

Agree - don't think my plotters have ever read 0 knots at sea, and even when I've had a plotter running on a battery at home the speed usually reads 0.1-0.2 knots when stationary.

appreciate you do move at anchor, stretch of warp swing left and right etc, but we were drifting - at 0.5 knots, we watched us on navionics drift right off the bank!  

i didnt save the track but a bit like this:

Navionics re-creation (expect some artistic licence.....) we moved east to west some distance!

image.png.e930c8b9ca7253bd3c90f684f597b392.png

12 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

yeah we noticed the slack lines first - then checked the plotter/navionics to confirm our suspicions!

When I anchor I always make a transit, I find that is the most successful way to decide. 

3 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

not sure how i do that 4-6 miles off when its just anchored boats around - but great practice inshore!

I saw some structures in the 2nd picture, I thought maybe that was where you were fishing. 

8 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

no that's the entrance to Portland harbour - where we drift on purpose  🤣

i tend to anchor in pugwash within sight of land so im sure i can adopt this technique!

When you anchor you can make a "mark" on your plotter and then assign an alarm to it. If you drift away from your mark the alarm will go off. 
Drifting an anchor can happen also if you drop the anchor down too fast, especially when there is not too much tide. The anchor gets buried under chain and does not set itself. 
What you can get into is dropping the anchor until you feel/see slack on the rope, then reverse the boat a bit to set the anchor. Then pay out more rope. A nice 45deg rope angle I find is best ! 

we thought maybe it had piled up and not set, but to be honest it was about 4-5 knots of tide out there  - it didn't tangle - although that did happen to me on pugwash when i had the very heavy anchor and chain.

we felt it set and turn the boat sharply, but obviously didn't hold

he's bought a new chain now - longer and 8mm.

4 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

we thought maybe it had piled up and not set, but to be honest it was about 4-5 knots of tide out there  - it didn't tangle - although that did happen to me on pugwash when i had the very heavy anchor and chain.

we felt it set and turn the boat sharply, but obviously didn't hold

he's bought a new chain now - longer and 8mm.

8mm is probably over kill. I only use 6mm on my 4 tonne boat. But I use 20m of it.