Zebco Great White Braid?

24 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Try testing the B.S. with a spring gauge and see how close to the stated B.S. it is. Should either give you peace of mind or a one way trip to the bin.

Yeah could do that, but the BS isn’t my concern so much as it’s well over the top, it’s more the durability of it, if it’s going to moult like an old German Shepard. 

3 minutes ago, JonC said:

Yeah could do that, but the BS isn’t my concern so much as it’s well over the top, it’s more the durability of it, if it’s going to moult like an old German Shepard. 

Only one way to find out...!

Just general purpose, I mainly fish uptide in shallow water, I’ve always preferred mono but I’m going to experiment with braid. I generally use 15-18lb mono so even if the claimed 46lb is optimistic it should still be more than adequate. 

the whole idea of uptiding  is so that the  tide   catches  your line  to form a big  bow    and  your rig  lays flat on the bottom       look on ebay   for Spectra   braid   £40  for 2000m     its what i use  on my skate reels     never had any bother with it    i use the 80 lbs and landed fish to 225 Lbs    another one to look for is ( Hercules   ) braid    thats  good as well    use that in 40 lbs for general    fishing     tight lines Alain 

6 hours ago, willyhookit said:

the whole idea of uptiding  is so that the  tide   catches  your line  to form a big  bow    and  your rig  lays flat on the bottom       look on ebay   for Spectra   braid   £40  for 2000m     its what i use  on my skate reels     never had any bother with it    i use the 80 lbs and landed fish to 225 Lbs    another one to look for is ( Hercules   ) braid    thats  good as well    use that in 40 lbs for general    fishing     tight lines Alain 

Yeah I get you, I’ve got a little bit of experience with uptiding, but was looking to try a different thing. 15lb mono is usually about 0.40mm as opposed to the 46lb braid that is 0.33 - so there’s not much difference in it regarding resistance in the tide. 

1 hour ago, JonC said:

Yeah I get you, I’ve got a little bit of experience with uptiding, but was looking to try a different thing. 15lb mono is usually about 0.40mm as opposed to the 46lb braid that is 0.33 - so there’s not much difference in it regarding resistance in the tide. 

Think the one thing you will have to mind, is braids ability to tie itself in horrendous knots, especially when the tide slackens off

2 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Think the one thing you will have to mind, is braids ability to tie itself in horrendous knots, especially when the tide slackens off

I will watch for that thanks, I didn’t realise it was a thing 

2 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Yes, it can be a nightmare in the Bristol Channel too when fishing over rough ground 

The braid tends to snag itself around any pinnacles/coral and can be a pain to pull out. Usually ending in a snap, but always with some damage to it

I use 30lb mono straight through now on my uptiders, still use braid on the downtiders though

5 hours ago, JonC said:

forgot to add the  mono as  more abrasion  resistance  than braid      might be ok  to use  braid over clean sand    but where i fishing    (  Whitby  )    there is  patches of broken ground  that fish better than over   clean sand        tight lines  Alain 

47 minutes ago, willyhookit said:

forgot to add the  mono as  more abrasion  resistance  than braid      might be ok  to use  braid over clean sand    but where i fishing    (  Whitby  )    there is  patches of broken ground  that fish better than over   clean sand        tight lines  Alain 

Mainly sand and shingle or mud in the Thames, a few mussel beds etc but not much rough ground. I’ve been using and advocating mono for the last 20 years but I think some of the Bristol Channel massif are using braid more and more with good results. 
Every day’s a school day!