Groundbaiting

Bags, nets, droppers etc

What do you use?

I'm leaning towards a dropper for a variety of reasons, small amounts at regular intervals, so it is a controlled system. It's in the main for attracting a variety of species in shallow (sub 100') water, such as tope/Huss/LSD'S cod and ting, flats big and small (possibly even halibut!)

No stories about vom or pot noodles please (probably the same thing)

I've tried a few different methods; frozen milk bottle, drilled soil pipe and large chum bag. None of them have out-performed a day without groundbait though.

From memory @Saintly Fish has a manufactured steel bait dropper (can't remember the brand) so may be able to comment on that style of groundbaiting.

I occasionally use the Berley Bomb whether it works or not who knows.  We use them in 40-60ft to ground bait for Bream, it always come back up empty so they do deposit the bait however, my old saying was if their not biting you're in the wrong place which sometimes works lol

15 hours ago, Maverick said:

I occasionally use the Berley Bomb whether it works or not who knows.  We use them in 40-60ft to ground bait for Bream, it always come back up empty so they do deposit the bait however, my old saying was if their not biting you're in the wrong place which sometimes works lol

What bait do you put in it Martin? 

6 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

What bait do you put in it Martin? 

Whatever is available at the time.  I also freeze down fish guts and trimmings for use as groundbait, I don't add bran or any other items to bulk it out as I think the  fish I'm after eat fish

4 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Whatever is available at the time.  I also freeze down fish guts and trimmings for use as groundbait, I don't add bran or any other items to bulk it out as I think the  fish I'm after eat fish

I've heard rice is a good bait for bream. Personally I've never tried it. You?

23 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I've heard rice is a good bait for bream. Personally I've never tried it. You?

Used to be able to get Pot Rice, I think from the same good people that made Pot noodles. Now there are plenty of other companies that make similar but not as good. 

• 2 weeks later...

Although I don't use it all the time, groundbaiting is a definite plus for me when I have.

I have a homemade version of the secret weapon/berleybomb which I use in deeper water or strong tides but also when fishing in not so deep and not so strong tides I am happy to drop in free offerings.

I have used these methods mainly for tope and cod but have also had success with skate, spurdog, huss, whiting, garfish and mackerel. not to mention dubby for shark.

I fished freshwater for years where groundbaiting was essential, particularly for carp and even pike, so I thought why wouldn't it work at sea!

the proof, if I needed it, was found almost by accident when I was fishing well up the Welsh side of the Bristol channel, amongst several charter boats and caught a 6lb bass on a sandeel and mackerel wrap whilst targeting blonde rays.

when I cleaned it at home it was full of 7 mackerel heads!!! obviously discarded over the side of the charters and very willing to accept an easy meal.

I have had cod up to 17lb that when cleaned, had chunked fish in them that I had been dropping in as free offerings along with half a dozen spur dog, rarely caught in the area I was fishing that day, with only 35ft of water. I am convinced they followed the trail of free offerings that had been flowing down the tide.

In the deeper water, I use the bait dropper filled with chopped up bits of mackerel, or other fish.

I have had baited feathers on the bottom and not alot happening. then sent down the the bait dropper and in no time at all had several whiting on the same rig.

So, for me groundbaiting is yet another weapon in the armoury. why not give it a try?

Stuart 

a pair of codling that had free offerings of fish in them when cleanedIMG-20160210-WA0000.thumb.jpg.f0fc71ce25be2dc06924d4c6ff629c01.jpg

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

A nice brace of unicorns there @Sevans
How do you rig your Berkeley bomb? 
I just tie it to the end of a roll of mono and let it free spool off. Just wondered if there is a "proper" way of doing it? 

I just add it to the link swivel where the lead attaches, get an impressive bend in the rod bringing it back up 😁

6 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Has anyone had any success trying groundbait for plaice? It's not a species I've ever heard anyone groundbaiting for, so curious if it can be done.

Flatfish tend to lay in the sand and ambush food I think,rather than following the tide hunting food out.  that’s why drifting for plaice works. 

1 minute ago, JonC said:

Flatfish tend to lay in the sand and ambush food I think,rather than following the tide hunting food out.  that’s why drifting for plaice works. 

Agreed, but I also know that many anglers catch them at anchor, including me - a plaice turned up for me on a worm bait on a mark not known for them a few seasons ago.