Batten down the hatches!

Andy135

People living at Sandbanks are not getting off the peninsula unless they have a tractor (no not a Chelsea one) as the road is closed with around 3/4' of water in places.

Whitecliff playing fields are being covered with blown sea water, Hamworthy Park/beach is flooded with Poole harbour looking a total mess,

Went down my boat earlier and put additional ropes on her, fingers now well and truly crossed as I'm not going along the pontoon in this mess

6 minutes ago, Maverick said:
Poole Lifeboat has launched on service into winds gusting almost 70 knots.
No further details at this time. #StormEunice  Rather them than me 

May be an image of 3 people, body of water and nature

Crikey! That's nuts - fingers crossed that all involved make it home safely.

4 hours ago, Andy135 said:

@JonC, in all seriousness how do scaffolders handle high winds like these? Do you have a way of fixing the scaffolds to buildings for support?

Scaffold should be tied to the wall on a 4m grid, there are several methods but I use these bolted to the masonry in pairs with m12 shield anchors, I always go at least 50% extra and that lets me sleep easier

35FBEF64-25A0-4B9B-8824-D011CCCCEE5E.jpeg

13 minutes ago, JonC said:

Scaffold should be tied to the wall on a 4m grid, there are several methods but I use these bolted to the masonry in pairs with m12 shield anchors, I always go at least 50% extra and that lets me sleep easier

35FBEF64-25A0-4B9B-8824-D011CCCCEE5E.jpeg

Is that SOP or just for high winds?

Chesil, which is open to the SW is taking a hammering, with the live wave buoy showing an average of 6m waves with significant waves touching 13m.

The Needles weather station has recorded wind speeds of 110 mph, however, our local wind speed here at Berry head has maxed out at 78 mph.

Here is a snap shot of the Chesil live wave buoy, the live feed can be found here .... https://coastalmonitoring.org/realtimedata/?chart=68&tab=waves&range=day&disp_option=1&user_indate=&datum=chart

Chesil.thumb.jpg.dc9b7883a3d6770c01a602587023c572.jpg

Edited by GPSguru

46 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Is that SOP or just for high winds?

Standard, we have one standard we work to- minimum. 
This is my only exception to that, I go extra on ties. I could slap up any old piece of shit, so long as it’s well tied it’s going to be good. 
Most of my jobs stay up about 3 months so I always work on the basis that there’s going to be a bit of weather. 

pugwash is holding up well - some bungee snapped on her cover so had to lash the sides down again - shes moving around a lot on the pontoon - but well protected with fenders.

others not so good - mostly the yachts - Booms swinging, self furled jibs unfurling and wildly thrashing about, SUPs flying about and covers/biminis all over the place! 

all my house windows and cars are covered in salty sea spray - the T4 might rust away overnight on the drive!!

Went down to the boat today (end of my drive) and made sure that the boat was very securely lashed down on the trailer. I also tidied up the front to clear any loose bits and pieces. We have had steady wind today since about 10am, but it was not as bad as I had expected (amber zone). Sadly two of my timber rear fence posts sheared off at ground level, but they are over 10 years old, and are the last of the original posts. It is still quite windy now, but really not that bad. Geoff.

47 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Valkyrie ( @thejollysinker boat) looks to be Ok when I went to Polly Steps earlier this afternoon. 

Most of the damage occured at the corner of Back Beach by the Ship inn, as a Westerly wind slams right into that corner of the estuary, with confused waves.

B14DB37C-A85B-474A-BA59-FE537B10657D.jpeg.7c8121a60b5ebc1a35f83cb9f3e692e6.jpegB8F358C9-CAE5-4173-A547-BFF6691C5676.thumb.jpeg.de89652ee476e49ef94544015262f41b.jpeg

Edited by GPSguru

On 2/18/2022 at 5:49 PM, Andy135 said:

thanks for asking Andy... all's well with my boat. Went down Sat afternoon and the only 'carnage'  was a few dinghies on the trots had moved/slid on the ropes so me and another Orkney owner Pete set about straightening them up, bailing out etc and re-tieing a few... smartened it up a bit so to speak... Feel for those people that have had their pride and joy smashed up like that though, not nice.

2 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

thanks for asking Andy... all's well with my boat. Went down Sat afternoon and the only 'carnage'  was a few dinghies on the trots had moved/slid on the ropes so me and another Orkney owner Pete set about straightening them up, bailing out etc and re-tieing a few... smartened it up a bit so to speak... Feel for those people that have had their pride and joy smashed up like that though, not nice.

Glad to hear yours is safe and good on you for helping out other owners 👍

On 2/18/2022 at 6:35 PM, GPSguru said:

Valkyrie ( @thejollysinker boat) looks to be Ok when I went to Polly Steps earlier this afternoon. 

I think the worst of that wind on Friday coincided with an ebbing tide so all going in the same direction and thankfully bow into the wind. Had that been an Easterly at that strength with an ebbing tide of that size then it might have been a different story... I definitely would have been worried to the point of moving her somewhere safer.