Short trip

JDP

From yesterday. Headed offshore to try and get a friends 13yr old onto a marlin for his birthday. First patch of bait to show on the sounder were at about 120m which also showed two marlin rounding them up on the sounder. As soon as the first string of mackerel came onboard we bridled two up as live baits and started a slow troll around the bait with a dredge teaser to hopefully bring the fish up from deep water. About 15 mins later both marlin had taken both live baits, with one dancing around the surface and the other heading deep to slug it out for the youngster!!!

Released the surface one in under 10mins but the one from down deep kept ripping back to the bottom every time we got the leader knot to the surface. Unfortunatly the deep fighting fish had managed to get the circle hook wrapped around its stomach which as a result we decided to keep take the fish. We've kept a few over the last few weeks as they are in extremely good numbers here (literally some boats catch and releasing over 10 per day). They are also a very quick growing fish and pretty tasty, in my opinion better than the tuna species, also it was a relatively small striped marlin. Had to come straight in to get the fish on ice so no fun with light tackle of the dolphin fish, which like every other species have been in numbers not seen before. Ive probable done at least 20 trips in the last 3 weeks, with each surpassing previous seasons.

The fishing has been going crazy here with game fish such as marlin and sharks venturing into the shallow reefs, where they are steeling smaller reef fish we target on light tackle. 

_JDP0473.thumb.jpg.4dd1122176cb37b29ef3fd79d1370151.jpg _JDP0495.thumb.jpg.b6d7c23f7c1a5d4a73a346b1e99eebbc.jpg _JDP0515.thumb.jpg.1ec11529154267dd8eb3b3580bacea49.jpg _JDP0548.thumb.jpg.7fe0782e6524bb1ae35f9de9a5d7b5b8.jpg

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Fair play to the young man. A fish of a lifetime at the age of 13!! 

To be honest, this young fella has been fishing since he could walk, I've known him his whole life. This isn't his first marlin or his biggest, not to mention numerous tuna over his years of fishing. He recently started working as a dekie on the charter boat my daughter skippers and landed a bigger marlin last week on a 4000 spin outfit, he also drives boats like a seasoned charter skipper. Last winter he pulled a 30lb trout from New Zealand river, his family are obsessed fishers.

Edited by JDP

46 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

better then solent dogy any time. i am so jellouse

Fished the solent for many years as a kid growing up on the IOW, had some pretty good fish over the years. Unlike many parts of the world, we are seeing the fishing improve over the last few years and you don't have to go far decent fish, especially pelagic's. Going to take another youngster out this afternoon after school, chasing marlin for a couple of hours.

12 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

At 13 I was beach fishing for bass, founder and mullet…. I’m not jealous at all 🤣

I owned my first boat at aged 11 from the sale of rabbits. By the time I was 13, I was well into my shark fishing even though my boat was only 12ft!!!!....in saying that I had been spending every moment working on charter boats and any other boat I could get on (IOW) from a much younger age. I was obsessed back then.

21 minutes ago, JDP said:

I owned my first boat at aged 11 from the sale of rabbits. By the time I was 13, I was well into my shark fishing even though my boat was only 12ft!!!!....in saying that I had been spending every moment working on charter boats and any other boat I could get on (IOW) from a much younger age. I was obsessed back then.

To be fair I did used to make a few ££ selling bass and golden grey mullet to the local pub, digging worms and selling them on and the  fishing off kayak for mackerels and selling them in campsite… Not sure my folks woukd of liked me buying a boat at that age 🤣

11 hours ago, Odyssey said:

To be fair I did used to make a few ££ selling bass and golden grey mullet to the local pub, digging worms and selling them on and the  fishing off kayak for mackerels and selling them in campsite… Not sure my folks woukd of liked me buying a boat at that age 🤣

Also sold bass once I got the boat, was the thing to do back then. Parents didn't give a hoot what we did, mum buggered off with another fella and my dad was sleeping with my sisters best mate (aged 15). Glad to be 10,000 miles away from them, you can keep them over there !!!!!

19 hours ago, JDP said:

Also sold bass once I got the boat, was the thing to do back then. Parents didn't give a hoot what we did, mum buggered off with another fella and my dad was sleeping with my sisters best mate (aged 15). Glad to be 10,000 miles away from them, you can keep them over there !!!!!

Didn't realise your family came from Wisbech!!!

19 hours ago, JDP said:

That’s going to make some tough reading for @mike farrants