SPJ set up for wrecking.

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Ok, probably covered before but what's the best type of set up? 
I don't want to re mortgage my house. 

A dedicated SPJ rod like maxel or temple reef etc, and a narrow spool small fast multi ……. Probably about £700 - £800 ish

You can use a light spinning rod or a supple 6-12, but TBH you don't get the correct action. Been there and done that.

Edited by GPSguru

I bought a cheapy off the net for £70 and used my fathom 12 with it, it worked and I caught a few fish

I have now bought a Temple Reef Elevate Mk 2 E2 coupled with a Maxel Rage 25 after advice off both GPSGuru and Terry (jigabite)

I hope to use this new set up next Sat 12th on a wrecker out of Weymouth (small tide etc) if the weather plays ball

Rod was £200 and reel was £330, I had a moment of madness and just bought them

Definitely a nicer action on the rod and the reel is a work of art

With the jigs all well North of a 10er, I wont be bouncing these across the bottom for Cod

But I'll be happy to pick up a few decent Pollock mid water

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

@jonnyswamp if I use my Nomura Kanji spinning rod coupled with a Maxel rage 25, do you think that'll do? 
I don't go wrecking often so don't want to be spending a fortune. 

Do they do them Left hand wind?

my  mate introduced   me to the  Kanji    rods    he as the  30 /70 kg   rods   that we used  bass trolling    i was  that impressed    once  back on dry land i bought  4   two 30 /70kg  and a  pair of  80 /130kg     bloody awesome rods     matched them up   shimano bait runners   

You could get a storm gomoko rod fro 50-100 quid and either use a spin or multi and out fish the action of a temple reef, you really don't need to spend big money to get good action working lures. Ive been onboard boats only last week where I used a cheap little ugly stick and out fished everyone onboard using $1000-$1500 outfits. I only took the outfit onboard the boat to prove a point, and that it comes down to time on the water learning what actions get reactions from fish. I have a young lad that comes out with me who will out fish all of us on just about any rod and reel he picks up. Fish don't care how much is spent but I must admit using high end quality gear is very nice. 

22 minutes ago, JDP said:

but I must admit using high end quality gear is very nice. 

That's the crux of it right there, once you know what you are looking for there's nothing wrong with spending big dollars, no point starting out with expensive gear until you know it's for you and what you want from an item of tackle...

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Ive ordered a gomexus 50, some silk ocean pe1.5 line. I'm going to use it on my Zziplex 6-12lb rod. 
If I get on then I may well purchase a specific SPJ rod later. 

So what gear do I need then? 

23 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

@jonnyswamp if I use my Nomura Kanji spinning rod coupled with a Maxel rage 25, do you think that'll do? 
I don't go wrecking often so don't want to be spending a fortune. 

Do they do them Left hand wind?

Yes, that would work to begin with, and yes, the Rage 25 is available for blue badge holders.

33 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Yes, that would work to begin with, and yes, the Rage 25 is available for blue badge holders.

You obviously didn't bother to read all the above. You're turning into JonC, need more pics do ya?

32 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

You obviously didn't bother to read all the above. You're turning into JonC, need more pics do ya?

Yes, I read it all, but thought I would answer your question anyway ........ 😛

Warning ........... SPJ is highly addictive !

Edited by GPSguru