SPJ set up for wrecking.

On 3/4/2022 at 8:07 PM, Saintly Fish said:

@jonnyswamp if I use my Nomura Kanji spinning rod coupled with a Maxel rage 25, do you think that'll do? 
I don't go wrecking often so don't want to be spending a fortune. 

Do they do them Left hand wind?

The reel I bought was LH, can't help much with your rod as I'm a SPJ novice myself and haven't heard/seen a Kanji sorry

But I believe, as with all types of fishing, if you fish with a bit of confidence you'll do OK no matter what you use

@jonnyswamp if I use my Nomura Kanji spinning rod coupled with a Maxel rage 25, do you think that'll do? 

The reel I bought was LH, can't help much with your rod as I'm a SPJ novice myself and haven't heard/seen a Kanji sorry

But I believe, as with all types of fishing, if you fish with a bit of confidence you'll do OK no matter what you use

I think one of biggest mistakes people make is fishing to heavy braid, which then needs heavy lures to stay in contact with the lure. Going to heavy increases the fall speed and action, rather than a slow fall flutter it then becomes more of a high speed jig. The reason I knew I would be able to out-fish those people on the boat last week was simply because of the line class they were using.

6 hours ago, JDP said:

I think one of biggest mistakes people make is fishing to heavy braid, which then needs heavy lures to stay in contact with the lure. Going to heavy increases the fall speed and action, rather than a slow fall flutter it then becomes more of a high speed jig. The reason I knew I would be able to out-fish those people on the boat last week was simply because of the line class they were using.

I’m confident that you could out fish those fuckers with a stick of rhubarb. 

3 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

from reading this  ( above ) i should by a new spinning rod. not my boat road.?????

No not necessarily Pete. You will be just fine wrecking with your rods and the set up of booms and weights etc we advised. 
What you read above is a complete different set up for a different way of fishing. 

10 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

No not necessarily Pete. You will be just fine wrecking with your rods and the set up of booms and weights etc we advised. 
What you read above is a complete different set up for a different way of fishing. 

very confusing,

4 hours ago, JonC said:

I’m confident that you could out fish those fuckers with a stick of rhubarb. 

I’m sure I couldn’t come close to your pout catching skills or skill of pouring hot water over noodles. To do it all in wearing your new slider’s is something us mortals can only dream of.

1 hour ago, JDP said:

I’m sure I couldn’t come close to your pout catching skills or skill of pouring hot water over noodles. To do it all in wearing your new slider’s is something us mortals can only dream of.

would that be supper noodles with supper slider,s

23 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

got me thinking about a Nomura Kanji 30-70g now....... 

just for inshore jigging/lures - bass, pollock, wrasse, even mackerel for fun

what reel to pair with it though? i have an abu cardinal 54fd, and a shakespear  rear drag FS

I use a shimano ultegra ci4 5500. 

Anyone bought a Penn slammer IV DX ? meant to have a look at one today but the 1.30 min trip to town was longer than normal with roads washed away and deep puddles everywhere!!!!...did'nt get to the tackle store before running out of time🙃 Not that Im saying this would be the perfect spj reel but they look pretty robust enough to do a bit of everything.

42 minutes ago, JDP said:

Anyone bought a Penn slammer IV DX ? meant to have a look at one today but the 1.30 min trip to town was longer than normal with roads washed away and deep puddles everywhere!!!!...did'nt get to the tackle store before running out of time🙃 Not that Im saying this would be the perfect spj reel but they look pretty robust enough to do a bit of everything.

1.3min, you could swim it in 2

8 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

1.3min, you could swim it in 2

Oops meant 1hr 30!!!!....could only swim it that quick in one direction!!!!!

Its still pouring down, bring back the fires. Moved here for the dry hot weather, not to keep thinking Im back in the UK. Shouldn't complain, at least I can now fish from my balcony.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2022 at 11:40 AM, Saintly Fish said:

Ive ordered a gomexus 50, some silk ocean pe1.5 line. I'm going to use it on my Zziplex 6-12lb rod. 
If I get on then I may well purchase a specific SPJ rod later. 

I just bought some of that Silk Ocean in PE2 - good PE to breaking strain - interesting to see how it holds up