Anchor warps query

From a kayak I use, very rarely, a thin warp perhaps 1.5mm as I only have a .75kg folding anchor however when out with my friends on their boat it's a hefty Bruce with chain and the warp is polypropylene and usually use an alderney ring to retrieve. 

So what and why do you use? I think I have the basics about chain and warp length it's more about the practicalities that you have found out over time. 

TIA

7.5kg Delta anchor, 12m of 6mm chain and about 150m of 12mm warp. 26ft boat weighing between 2.5 and 3 tonnes.

I used to use an Alderney ring and buoy when I had a Predator 165. A bit tricky to begin with but an absolute back-saver once familiar with the Alderney retrieval method.

Most folks I've been out with seem to avoid polyprop rope as it floats and can be a prop-wrap hazard, plus it's murder on your hands. Instead I use nylon as it's more forgiving on your hands, it sinks, and it has a bit more stretch in it than polyprop, meaning less chance of pulling the anchor out if the boat moves around in a swell or wash from other boat traffic.

I have a 10kg Delta with 12m 8mm chain and 210 metres of 12mm nylon

5.5 ton boat at 8.9 metres long

The most important thing when using the alderney ring retrieve method is that the chain weighs more than the anchor.

Edited by Maverick

Sarca anchor and Lonestar drum winch, tend to use the same setup on all my boats and never had one fail, even have this on my 14ft centre console. I can get away with very light braid anchor lines which have far greater breaking points than your average ropes. I would try a Rocna anchor if I had to buy another, not that Ive ever had issues with what I have but I do like trying different toys!!!

12 hours ago, GPSguru said:

5.85m RIB ................3.5Kg Bruce, 5m of 6mm chain, and 220m of 12mm 3 strand.

With a RIB it is difficult to use the Alderney method and the rope can damage the  tubes, so I just 'hand ball' it, which is easy enough.

That was a big part of why I sold mine, the memory comes back when I head out in my daughters rib and she makes me pull the anchor.

6 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

That is why I am going to fit a minnkota on the bow 😉👍

Ive got one for my centre console and did consider getting one for the rib when I had it, problem was when I anchor its normally to get in the water.