Pom sharking

JDP

Took out a fellow pom today and his son who were keen on a bit of sharking. With plenty of bronze whalers and hammerheads about it didn't take may minutes to get hooked into the first shark. The first was a small whaler of of around 20kg, which was perfect as they wanted a small one to take home to eat. From then on another 8 sharks including a brief hook up on a small great white, which snipped though the mono rig intended for hammerheads.

Highlight was an hour battle with a very large whaler shark which put up a very good fight on a heavy Tiagra outfit. During the fight the constant high sticking had us cringing, why people seem to think a rod needs to go vertical on every pump is beyond me ( a pom thing) . At one point he managed to high stick a Stella outfit out of the rod holders above the bimini and send it into the sea. 

Headache, back ache and neck ache now, feel like Im getting to old for this style of angling, even though Im mostly just driving and tracing fish.

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Nice skippering Jon. Sounds like a busy and enjoyable day, if a little exhausting. Shame about the lost Stella rig. Hope he pays for it! 😬😬

It wasn't my outfit, I was skippering someone else's boat. Another weekend my boat gets to stay at home resting!!!

For a 26ftt centre console boat it doesn't have much room to move about when you have a big fish on, the T top over the console is a bit annoying. The owner just bought a new American F truck to tow it, which didn't realise until I checked this evening that my vehicle licence doesn't cover me to drive it, truck and boat over 8,tons, lucky I only drove around the ramp and car parking area. It's a beast of a truck to drive and Ive had the invite to take the rig up north during winter which will be around 9000km of towing there and back, so need to upgrade my licence.