The outlaws(some) trip to Poole.

Saintly Fish

I arrived at Poole for around 17.30, parked my van on a friends driveway, then got a lift to the B&B. The room was pleasant and clean, but paper thin walls. I lost count how many times @Andy_B got up in the night!

9680475A-60E5-42A7-9EB6-1B845FAC1E65.jpeg.a63041b54e692139c2c493418199091e.jpeg

I went out and got myself settled in the Prince Charles pub, just infront of the TV to watch the mediocre football. 
Just finished my first pint and @captin slows old outlaw turned up looking white as a sheet and puffing out of breath. I thought he'd maybe just rolled of a tart, but apparently it was all the exercise walking the marathon distance from his hotel. I bought us a beer and we waited whilst Pete showed me Jon's birthday present! 
@JonC and Jody (spelt right Jon?) were next to arrive, I'm sure he waited for me to finish at the bar before he came in and offered a drink!!

Andy.B was next to arrive, and he made his introductions. Which was a good thing because we didn't know what he looked like, he could have been anybody. Anyway it was nice to put a face to a name!! 
We had a couple of beers and food from Wetherspoons then headed for bed. I'm sure the food in Wetherspoons was a bit off, because the next day I was feeling green most of the boat journey. Ive never been seasick, and I still don't think I was that day because Monday I was not great and today only back to 85%. Maybe I've got @GPSguruitus??

Anyway, with a stiff easterly breeze we started the day drifting Poole harbour entrance for plaice..... nothing.
Then we steamed out for around 1/2 hour to a small wreck. That's when the fun started. 
We had Stainless Steve on board with us, turns out he's an England match angler and a close friend of Pete. 
Steve pulled in a couple of 50lb conger, then not to be out done I hooked a beast which bit off my 40lb trace. Yes I know 40lb is light but then we didn't expect to be anchoring a wreck and I was under prepared. A quick change to 150lb hook length soon saw me into another eel, this one around 25lb.

8545960A-47A9-4ABA-873A-0470094097FE.jpeg.04cfe5d28afeb049a58266610e5a7d51.jpeg

I also had a couple nice big pout, but they were just a bit too big to use as live bait. The seagulls enjoyed them though. Then Jon got into a couple of fish, his best being a tope of around 12lb. And an undulate of maybe 8lb.
@Andy_Bhooked something enormous that he just couldn't get up off the sea bed. I'll let him tell his stories though!! 
Pete blanked...... again!!! But put a brave face on it poor sod.

We upped anchor and went to try some mixed fishing under the watchful eye of the Jurassic coast. Nothing much happened.
So last roll of the dice was a return to the harbour for some more plaice drifting. I caught nothing, but others did. Again they can tell their own stories. 
After 11 hours on the boat we headed home and I finally managed to eat something. If Jon's lad had known I had food, I'd probably of not got a chance to eat it!! He's an eating machine that boy! But pleasant company with a humour just like his dads!!

Ryan the skipper really did work his socks off to try and find us some fish, which he did. It wasn't prolific by any means, but still a great day on a top boat with mediocre company!! 🤣

Here are a few general shots from the day.

0F4A40C6-6985-4997-A2C3-027614B76422.jpeg.92c95ee92a3b94049bd458f31ffc371e.jpeg

712E2013-D0C5-439A-9498-CE264130DDAC.jpeg.775277e3ef8ab0396a72c272eb60eb8c.jpeg

504E919A-8138-42F6-81B8-213214CE97C9.jpeg.fe6df8f210886ac8d51d2fe96425f7c4.jpeg

F8155FDC-01F7-4F7A-8E60-D7CBD9B7DD46.jpeg.337cb5c7b3c014b39211af44ab55fc5f.jpeg

11AF1648-EEF1-48B9-94F9-6882E4F53636.jpeg.c7aec46288bee848db5a3944f73eeb08.jpeg

A0AA9362-F082-4798-844B-B9993E1241E1.jpeg.23ee11baf2a068f6d7726ab42dcbf52d.jpeg

526AFCB3-73D6-450D-BB0A-65A5BEEEB7AF.jpeg.4f7d8ea398a4bf9b6e9ea42c146f8f30.jpeg

B05340FC-09F0-430F-B65F-2F12153C18CA.jpeg.9a5ec397f23a0b51ad7e6e4b02c32faf.jpeg

5BC276F0-6867-4D47-A323-479D61859635.jpeg.12924b0e97ac9f17a9f99f5be92489a0.jpeg 

It was a tough day, a little bit lumpy out there, though I’m sure @JDPhas had rougher water in his bath. 
I managed to be totally disorganised for the first hour or so, this sort of fishing is outside of my usual comfort zone and so my complete lack of preparation hindered me a bit which was made all more apparent when there’s a black belt match angler on the other side of the boat. (No not @Saintly Fish, I meant Steve.)

My first decent bite turned into dead weight so I was expecting a nice bit of rock maybe but it was a huge crab, the biggest I have ever seen with nippers like bananas. Unfortunately he dropped off before the skipper could net him. 
In the tide I bet he ended up a mile off his wreck, I hope the walk back learned him a lesson. 

My first proper fish was this little thingA0F6B38F-1A27-4FEC-A735-BBCB5037D096.thumb.jpeg.fd9842b049098e3cdaef6d5b27b2493a.jpegI’ve been told by a recognised tope expert that it was about a 12 lb, app they are lighter than the far smaller hounds I’m used to catching. Surprisingly it took double squid, I’ve always had it drummed into me that fresh mackerel is essential 

The pub was probably the King Charles (Charley) as there are no Princes in Poole, it's one of the oldest pubs in Poole.

The Weathers spoons on the Quay is called The Quay, very inventive of them.  Surprised you got in as most people get no further than the door as you stick to the carpet

Glad the skipper took you around to Dancing Ledge (Jurassic coast) can be a good spot for Bream but is a little early for them although I have heard of at least one being caught.

Edited by Maverick

8 minutes ago, JonC said:

I also managed an undulate on my go to uptide tactic, which was on its limit in 40m depth. This was a first for me, it but like a roker and hang in the tide like a roker but better looking 

94709A41-31B2-4E53-9631-11ACE47832EB.jpeg

Looks like you're having a bit of a funny hair moment there Jon. 

it was a wonderful day out, i am still knackerd  , i am glad i stayed another knight as it was a painful trip home but i am not complaining as it was the first time out of the house for more than an hour since late November. so a big thank you  to s / f

4 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

it was a wonderful day out, i am still knackerd  , i am glad i stayed another knight as it was a painful trip home but i am not complaining as it was the first time out of the house for more than an hour since late November. so a big thank you  to s / f

No need to thanks me Pete. All I did was book a date. You did the hard work by being there! 

36 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Looks like you're having a bit of a funny hair moment there Jon. 

Really was a bad hair day. I didn’t take any shampoo and all there was in the room was a miniature bar of soap that was made of something particularly waterproof . 
Still at least it isn’t ginger. 

4 minutes ago, JonC said:

Really was a bad hair day. I didn’t take any shampoo and all there was in the room was a miniature bar of soap that was made of something particularly waterproof . 
Still at least it isn’t ginger. 

I meant the thing growing out the left top side! 

59 minutes ago, Maverick said:

The pub was probably the King Charles (Charley) as there are no Princes in Poole, it's one of the oldest pubs in Poole.

The Weathers spoons on the Quay is called The Quay, very inventive of them.  Surprised you got in as most people get no further than the door as you stick to the carpet

Glad the skipper took you around to Dancing Ledge (Jurassic coast) can be a good spot for Bream but is a little early for them although I have heard of at least one being caught.

All weatherspoons are sole less shit holes but you can’t beat the value of their food, a decent feed and a pint for a ten sheet is great. Even if you do get a bollocking for blatantly breaching fire safety rules by sitting on the end of the table.

6 minutes ago, JonC said:

All weatherspoons are sole less shit holes but you can’t beat the value of their food, a decent feed and a pint for a ten sheet is great. Even if you do get a bollocking for blatantly breaching fire safety rules by sitting on the end of the table.

I blame the parents. 

2 hours ago, JonC said:

All weatherspoons are sole less shit holes but you can’t beat the value of their food, 

Depends how you measure value however, we have an ex scaffolder working for us and like you he will eat (almost) anything and will drink anything & everything :smileys-fish-746921:

8 hours ago, JDP said:

Looks like that helium filed tope is having the better of you for the photo. As for bumpy out there!!!!!...were these pictures from a different day or what, its flat as a millpond.

The boat pics were taken as we left the harbour. The others with the fish were as the tide slackened and it eased off a bit. No photos were possible in the in between times. Both hands were needed to steady yourself. It wasn't Un fishable rough, but it wasn't comfy either until around 1pm

35 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

The boat pics were taken as we left the harbour. The others with the fish were as the tide slackened and it eased off a bit. No photos were possible in the in between times. Both hands were needed to steady yourself. It wasn't I fishable rough, but it wasn't comfy either until around 1pm

But still not as bad as @JDP‘s bidet. 

8 hours ago, Maverick said:

Depends how you measure value however, we have an ex scaffolder working for us and like you he will eat (almost) anything and will drink anything & everything :smileys-fish-746921:

It’s a shame that you didn’t come along, you could have got us a table at one of the 2️ restaurants that you frequent. 

9 hours ago, JDP said:

Looks like that helium filed tope is having the better of you for the photo.

@JonC is being modest with his choice of photo. That tope weighed more like 35-40lb. And it was not very happy. Twice I though Jon was going to loose a chunk of his elbow. 

7 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

@JonC is being modest with his choice of photo. That tope weighed more like 35-40lb. And it was not very happy. Twice I though Jon was going to loose a chunk of his elbow. 

He did seem aggravated about something, certainly didn’t want to participate in a photo shoot. 

I had a look on the Ocean Runner website, unfortunately they seem to have a technical issue editing the photos. My head seems to have been accidentally cut out of the picture, unless it was because of my bad hair day that @Saintly Fish kindly pointed out 

image.thumb.png.f49609ad925c144cb5b56640ac99ed87.png