Thermal cooking ‘not a noodle post’

JDP

Just tried my first thermal cooking chicken curry. Much the same as using an electric slow cooker, only this is cooked for 10-15mins then dropped into a thermal pot and left to cook on its own heat for several hours.

My plan is to use the cook pot in the mornings while away from home and have a hot meal each evening without having to spend time cooking when feeling tired after big drives, hikes or days offshore. I’ve been watching some of the YouTube videos of people doing smaller meals in thermos flasks by just adding boiling water and the ingredients for some healthy nutritious meals. 

its slow cooking,  you would start the stew or what ever in a pot  then put the lid on it some used a pastry gasket for the lid and left the pot on top of the range (cooker wood / coal  ) the would yous clay pots or cast ion.

when coming home from a hard days work your meal is ready. there are a lot of books on the subject. it was a subject that was covered in catering collage.

9 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

its slow cooking,  you would start the stew or what ever in a pot  then put the lid on it some used a pastry gasket for the lid and left the pot on top of the range (cooker wood / coal  ) the would yous clay pots or cast ion.

when coming home from a hard days work your meal is ready. there are a lot of books on the subject. it was a subject that was covered in catering collage.

So the idea is to finish the cooking using the residual heat of the hob, or whatever heat is captured in a thermos flask in @JDP's case then?

1 hour ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

Its become a bit of trend with some chefs as the food takes on a a slightly different flavour and texture, holding more of its moisture than other cooking. Its always been popular among the travellers, especially caravan owners.

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

So the idea is to finish the cooking using the residual heat of the hob, or whatever heat is captured in a thermos flask in @JDP's case then?

Yes that's right Andy and you can do smaller one person meals using the dumpy wide mouth little vacuum flasks also. People who head into remote locations can take healthy dried foods like beans, lentils, chick peas etc and just add boiling water and perhaps some jerky or other dried meat for a more balanced meal.  I find when Im away somewhere remote I tend to eat what I catch but getting to the location you often fall for junk food for the convenience, which isn't so good as you start clocking on in years. Lots of different pots and sizes available, some better than others.