catch report "another deer for the pot"

JDP

As mentioned in another post the bad weather has stopped the sea fishing action. With my daughters charter bookings cancelled she's headed into the the mountains again for a few days of hunting and fishing. First day she had a her first try at Murray cod fishing and managed two at around 70cm. 

She's now about 700km away hunting in a remote location where she's just shot a megaladon sized deer, which is going to take a fair amount of work to butcher in the field and get back to her 4x4. We've been eating venison all week and looks like we will be eating a fair amount more!!!!...Another feral pest removed, was hoping for a goat but she's still got time for one with all this bad weather.

355333209_ScreenShot2022-04-01at8_59_55pm.png.7511e078af9d3c4b18198e15eee95e73.png

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Cracking beast! Well done. Looks like a neck shot too? Very precise if so and will have kept the carcass meat in good condition.

does that neck stretch all the way back to a line between her fingers and the antler? I think it is a sad that a glorious creature like that is considered vermin Geoff. 🙂

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

does that neck stretch all the way back to a line between her fingers and the antler? I think it is a sad that a glorious creature like that is considered vermin Geoff. 🙂

Glorious creature maybe, but it's not supposed to be there, that's the issue

2 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Glorious creature maybe, but it's not supposed to be there, that's the issue

Invasive species I think? @JDP can confirm but either way, if the wildlife management department have determined that it's not optimal to have them there, and that culling them is in the best interests of that species and others then it's doing nature a benefit to take them.

2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Invasive species I think? @JDP can confirm but either way, if the wildlife management department have determined that it's not optimal to have them there, and that culling them is in the best interests of that species and others then it's doing nature a benefit to take them.

Yes that's correct, we have 56 invasive animals introduced by early settlers which cost around 3 billion in agriculture damage as well as damage to native flora and fauna. Feral pig numbers were starting to head down with an estimated 24 million last year but the change in wet weather this season has seen an explosion in their numbers. Its a hard call as we are also an invasive species but at least we are trying to save what's left of the native wildlife. Im not a fan of animals being killed in the thousands only to be left as even more food for feral foxes, dogs and cats which are then baited with poison dropped from helicopters, so taking them for food is actually better than taking fish in my opinion, which are native and under pressure.

Its a case of people let their emotions influence diet, some have no problem eating mackerel but when the fish is larger and more spectacular to look at such as marlin, tuna or even sharks they then want them protected. If lambs, calves and piglets stayed the way they were when born most people wouldn't eat meat at all and then there are those who eat meat but don't consider how it was raised and under what conditions. With the feral animals, these have roamed free with very little restriction on when the mate or where they travel until the moment they are killed with a well placed bullet, which is far better than any farming method in my opinion. Who eats chicken or eggs, even our backyard free range hens have restrictions, for a start they don't have a rooster with them and eat the same layer pellets everyday and never leave the same garden. There was a show on tv here where they showed the giant chicken farms and how the daily dead birds were used for chicken stocks and pot noodle flavourings to mention just a few.

It's all preparation for when China invades.